Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Re: Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

Post by TheMusher » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:20 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:20 am
What is your experience on the downhill support of the Lundhags Guide vs Expedition?
At the moment, I personally feel like my Guide BC would not only feel a bit more balanced, but more supportive with a higher top...
I believe the Expedition version does what an extra buckle would do to a 2-buckle boot. It really molds the whole boot construction with your lower leg and increases support in all directions - without impeding walking. Kind of like Jaure. I've seen the way you describe Guide BC as bottom heavy, and while I believe it, I dont really see this in the Guide Expedition. As such, I think the expedition version is indeed more balanced.

If you have the Jaure, I guess you understand what I'm describing :) I use Jaure II LT and Forest II (high shaft), as well as Park (low shaft), and only the first two are mountain grade in my opinion.
lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:20 am
Although I am very pleased with the Guide BC- I don't see it as more stable and supportive than the Alaska BC/XP- you?
I haven't tried the Alaskas, but I do certainly think the Lundhags Expedition would be more supportive. Maybe not the regulars BCs/Abisku. For example, I'm now using them with switchback and 86mm wide skis for resort skiing. From what I'm hearing, that wouldn't be recommended with Alaskas. In terms of support, they would be akin to the Transnordic but without the German's preference for torture.

For the use you describe on the Ingstad class, I wouldn't think twice about going for Expedition this time around at the cost of +100g! Just keep in mind that they are slightly more voluminous, so you may need a thicker sock to sit tight.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:38 pm

@TheMusher
Thank you!
Very cool that you are using the Expedition boot in that context!

I did assume that the Expedition would be significantly more supportive than the Alaska- my current experience is that the Guide is in a similar class to the Alaska. (I had wanted the Expedition boot, but could not find a decent price from Canada, so I chose the Guide instead.)

Your experience with the Expedition boot is impressive. As an aside- I also have the Skare Expedition boot as my field boot for very cold winter weather- it is by far the very best winter field boot I have ever had/tested.

This makes me strongly consider the Abisku Expedition XP boot...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:39 pm

randoskier wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:41 am
Our theory on bindings is that any of them can break at anytime (but probably won't), so we are always prepared to make a repair, replace a part with a spare; failing that- rig a temporary fix, and then either continue or extricate ourselves based on our circumstances and location.
Good and important point.
Thank you for the report above as well.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Lighturn

Post by Lighturn » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:49 am

Hi everyone!

I just saw Toms wonderful Test:

Now, since I am very happy about his measurements. And I hope, he will continue. He found out, that the heel of his Alfa Leather Boot was lifted 8 Inches to apply 1000g of pressure on the ski tip with the standard flexor and only 4 inches with the hard flexor.

Now what I hope he will do in the future is check out how much pressure will be on the tip of the ski when he lifts the same boot with the hard flexor to 8 inches?

This post might be in the wrong thread so please forgive me and push it to the correct one if you will be so kind.

Thanks alot!

LT