Xplore bindings on larger skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Xplore bindings on larger skis

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:29 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am
bbense wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:48 am
phoenix wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:25 am
I'd be very interested in hearing how the Explore/Alfa set up on something like the Hyper Vector, even Objectives, skis in more difficult snow. Does sound like a nice way to go for easy conditions, but to invest in new boots and bindings, I'd want something that would be more versatile.
Around here (Vermont), conditions vary often. We don't always find the snow we're hoping for.
Just my HO, but putting driving HyperVector with Alfa's is like putting bike tires on your Ferrari. It will work, but only in very specific conditions. You are taking a great all-round vertical BC ski and limiting it to just perfect powder. Alfa/Explore to me seems like a great advancement in XCD gear[1], but if ice or hard wind crust is something you have to deal with I think you'll be much better off on a narrower ski. Skinny skis can still ski powder just fine, especially modern ones with more tip rocker.

[1]- For the price it had better be.
+1
I would only do it if I had another hyper vector mounted with a more traditional boot/binding.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:30 pm

"Just my HO, but putting driving HyperVector with Alfa's is like putting bike tires on your Ferrari. It will work, but only in very specific conditions. You are taking a great all-round vertical BC ski and limiting it to just perfect powder. Alfa/Explore to me seems like a great advancement in XCD gear[1], but if ice or hard wind crust is something you have to deal with I think you'll be much better off on a narrower ski. Skinny skis can still ski powder just fine, especially modern ones with more tip rocker."

I fully agree, and I'm not considering going that route myself; but since all reports and praise seem to be coming from tours on pristine conditions, I'm thinking it would be interesting to hear from someone who's skied the Explore/Vector type setup in difficult conditions.

LTDinPNW

Post by LTDinPNW » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:56 pm

So… long time Tele, converted to snowboard a few years ago now (likely not switching back due to old knees with little to no menisci left). One of my favorite setups were my XCD Guides, mounted with G3 Targa, and Gara boots. Those complemented my 190 Voile Chargers, T1 boots, and Axl bindings for years! I eventually put a Switchback binding on the Guides, got rid of the Garas; as served their life well.

After early years with kids, I really didn't use any of them much. Fast forward a decade, and I'm back at it again… this time living within minutes of phenomenal touring terrain.

Decided to pickup a new boot last year for the above XCD Guide setup, went with the Alpina Alaska. Seemed that boot was very much overpowered with the Switchbacks. During that same time, I also wanted something that did not have steel edges, that I could get out there with the dogs weekly. Ended up picking up a pair of the Asnes Breidablikk Waxless, mounted with the new Xplore bindings, and the Alpina boots. What a stinkin' blast!!! I love that setup!

Decided I'd do a tour, sans-dogs yesterday… so I grabbed the XCDs Guides, threw them into the truck and off I went (also happened to have the Breidablikk in there from tour a few days prior). In that process, I caught myself questioning whether I would actually use the Guides, as they were Sooooo much heavier than the Asnes/Xplore setup (including the boots themselves = soooo much lighter).

So I'm wondering, does it make any sense to mount those Guides with the new Xplore bindings? Or is that ski just too much for that Boot/Binding combination? Also, wondering about how something like the Falketind 62 Xplore might compliment the Breidablikk?

Thanks for input in advance!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:11 pm

Yesterday, skied HyperVector BC 177 and Objective BC 178 back to back — same slope, same snow.
ALFA Free and Xplore bindings for both skis.
Snow was settled, old powder, partly cloudy, maybe around freezing.
The sun was definitely affecting the snow.
Had skied the same slope the day before, when the snow was lighter (with V6 and NTN setup).
The skis felt very similar on the downhill — in part because the snow was very supportive.
Easy to turn, really fun.
The Vector did feel more “stable,” because of the extra width.
On the flats, the Vector definitely felt heavier (even thought they are only 5.5 oz heavier per ski).
Maybe it was the width of the ski, and the effort to move it across the snow, that made it seem heavier.
The Objective felt noticeable more nimble and lively.

The usability of this sort of ski with a binding like NNN BC or Xplore seems highly dependent on terrain and snow conditions.
For me, I would have to have dependable deep light powder to really justify something like a Vector or V6 ski with Xplore bindings and something like an ALFA Free boot.
In deep, light powder, it seems like the Vector would be a very supportive ski.
The Objective seems like it has a slightly broader use application.
I’ve gotten enough use out of the Objective with first the NNN BC and now Xplore binding to make it worth having.
The next step down for me is the 196cm FTX with the same bindings and boots.
Next step up is 183cm Hyper V6 with Meidjo and TX Pro.
39FABB1F-4D32-441B-9986-13942E5959C2.jpeg
6169D0EB-C7AC-41DA-972A-F4A1585550C8.jpeg
Last edited by Stephen on Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:38 pm

@LTDinPNW the FT X is a very nice ski, it has good k&g and it is very good downhill. Quite frankly I think it is the ski, designers have been trying to create from the days of the original Guide. It is really a nice ski. The guys that are skiing them with Xplore seem to like the combo. I ski mine with 75 mm.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:22 am

@LTDinPNW I haven't skied the Breidablikk but I believe it is essentially an Ingstad without edges. The Falketind Xplore has more sidecut and a single camber, rounder flex profile. It bends into a beautiful arc. I have never skied an Ingstad so the IRL performance difference should be discussed by someone who has.
With the Alfa Free and hard flexors the Xplore binding is a step up from plain Jane 3pin and close to a 3 pin cable in terms of performance when used with a supportive 75mm leather boot like the Fischer Transnordic 75 (much stiffer than the Alaska 75). The Xplorer setup will be much lighter. The Alfa Free may be stiffer than the Transnordic but the latter is a bit higher. I don't like XC skiing with the hard flexors but they are easy enough to switch around.
I think that @fisheater here prefers the all around performance of the Falketind Xplore to the SBound 112 and @lilcliffy has compared the SBound and the Karhu Guide earlier.
Bottom line: the FTX is a very good match for the Xplore.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:42 pm

Decided to pickup a new boot last year for the above XCD Guide setup, went with the Alpina Alaska. Seemed that boot was very much overpowered with the Switchbacks. During that same time, I also wanted something that did not have steel edges, that I could get out there with the dogs weekly. Ended up picking up a pair of the Asnes Breidablikk Waxless, mounted with the new Xplore bindings, and the Alpina boots. What a stinkin' blast!!! I love that setup!

Decided I'd do a tour, sans-dogs yesterday… so I grabbed the XCDs Guides, threw them into the truck and off I went (also happened to have the Breidablikk in there from tour a few days prior). In that process, I caught myself questioning whether I would actually use the Guides, as they were Sooooo much heavier than the Asnes/Xplore setup (including the boots themselves = soooo much lighter).

So I'm wondering, does it make any sense to mount those Guides with the new Xplore bindings? Or is that ski just too much for that Boot/Binding combination? Also, wondering about how something like the Falketind 62 Xplore might compliment the Breidablikk?
Yeah, putting leather/vinyl/rubber boots like the Alaska in a Switchback is pretty much no good!

I went through some effort to prove weight doesn’t matter as much as you might think: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5662

But if you’re in a race or just like that light feeling, why not? It’s not clear, do you want waxless? Åsnes doesn’t seem to have wide, waxless skis, and their fishscales don’t grip so well.

You guys are tripping me out… all my experience with the modern leather/vinyl/rubber nordic backcountry boots (on 3 pins) is that they are just too flexible to do much unless conditions are perfect!

LTDinPNW

Post by LTDinPNW » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:48 pm

As for setup, yes I like the waxless style.

I'm intrigued by a Voile Objective BC, or V6 BC (waxless pattern), with Xplore binding, and Alfa Free boots. That sounds on paper like a bangin' setup for just about anything I would throw the direction of either ski.