How do you ski this spring snow???

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

How do you ski this spring snow???

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:52 am

We still have lots of snow. Lots and lots of snow. Over ten feet up in the mountains! But I went out yesterday on my Voile V6 and tried to ski and it was crap!

Okay, conditions weren't the best. Bright sunshine. 3:30 or so in the afternoon, sun directly on the slope. Temperature in the mid 60's. Altitude about 5,000 feet, The surface was consolidated but soft. I wouldn't say slushy, but it wasn't snow anymore, either, nor was it corn. I had earlier waxed the skis with Toko Blue glide wax and Toko Green kick/base underfoot. I was in a hurry because I've been out of town so I just scraped the ski pretty thoroughly and went back with Toko Yellow glide wax over the whole length, dripped it on, ironed it in, scraped, brushed, and rushed out.

The hill varies between 25 and 15 degrees. Not super steep but not flat at all. I skinned up and didn't sink too badly. But coming down... very slow. So slow I was unable to really turn at all. I could feel the skis sticking somehow and there was a lot of popping/crunching that sounded like sticking and releasing.

Was it the kick wax that I didn't fully remove? Is there just no way to ski this stuff? I invested in waxing equipment in the hope it would extend the ski year but do I need to just put them away? We'll have plenty of depth for weeks and, in the mountains, months. And what kind of skis are best for this stuff? I was thinking a wide ski because it is soft but then again, maybe a narrow ski for less surface area? I have the Voile V6, FT62, and Gamme 54 and might even pick up something on sale. I can imagine that the skinny Gamme might work better since there is some chemical interaction between the waxed-base and the snow. Making that surface area smaller might give me less of whatever is holding on to the ski - suction perhaps?

Thanks for any insight on waxes and skis!
Last edited by JohnSKepler on Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Re: How do you ski this spring snow???

Post by Manney » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:07 am

Could be grip or glide wax. Confirm your conditions match Toko recommendations. Both waxes. Match wax precisely. Don’t rely on intuition, bs on forums. Follow the wax maker instructions 1000%. Best you can do.

Oh… clean your bases too. Dirt sticks to everything. Unpredictable af.
Go Ski

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:33 am

60°F? Very warm slushy conditions? Clean your bases completely and use that Toko yellow, or Zardoz Notwax, which btw, works perfectly in warm wet snow. If you were touring and needed kick and glide options, I'd recommend a warm klister like Swix Red or Universal.
Old dirty snow, and transitioning from shadow to sun in warm weather can be a bit stop and go/herky-jerky/wha-hoo skiing.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:12 pm

Scales work good in conditions like you describe, providing you've applied warm weather glide wax to your bases, including the scales.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:38 pm

The tips are correct—but also there is some aspect to early melt just sucking a little. There haven’t yet been enough freeze-thaw cycles to get the moisture out so everything is just so heavy and sticky right now. You can mitigate it some… but it’s not going to be “good”.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:00 pm

When I bought my Rustler 10's, DPS was having a sale on their Phantom 2.0 process, so I had it done on the theory that skin residue would be reduced.
It has worked well for 4 or 5 years, even after a couple of base grinds. IDK how it works with kick wax, but my understanding is that it's compatible.
It works as well as the temp specific wax I use on other skis in the spring, which is, pretty good.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:54 pm

I'd by using my Rossi r-skins in warm mush. I would also be glide waxing for warm weather

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:37 pm

John, if I were going to use skins, I would have skipped any kick wax at all. It would be a nightmare for me to kick wax that size ski in those temps. It would be either skins or scales. As far as going slow on the downhill you need to add structure to the base to break the vacuum of your ski to the snow. I don't ski those conditions so I never had to do it.

Last spring I went to an East coast resort on a warm day. My new, hardly skied origional 180 vectors were much slower and grabby compared to my 7 year old scratched up 170 vectors. The rough base breaks the vacuum.

Corn snow skiing is all about timing and aspect. South facing slopes soften earlier than north facing. Corn snow forms after the snowpack goes isothermic. It warms up to 0c and looses it's layers becoming homogeneous. The hope is that it freezes at night turning solid. The sun melts the top surface creating the good skiing. If you wait too long it can be too soft. This is not only bad for skiing but it starts to slide, wet loose slow moving snow. It's part of cycle and happens every year. The rule of thumb is to be off the snow when you start to get ankle deep penetration.

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:59 pm

Coarse Base structure and not wax for the win

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:00 pm

Coarse Base structure and not wax for the win