New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:15 am

Oh, was it called Jeger before? I should have known that.
Manney wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:06 am

So one of these skis will die. Odds are it’s the old Combat NATO. Which gets back to the question of what’s the rationale behind the new one. Doesn’t appear to be anything significantly different… otherwise, wouldn’t Asnes be leaning on that as a selling point? (“It costs us less to make or we’re streamlining the range” isn’t anything that sells skis to a customer. Easy to sell in the boardroom tho. In the absence of anything to the contrary, this seems like a credible explanation for what’s happening here.)
Yes, I wonder. I agree, actually, this was my thought too. It might simply be an inventory thing? Who knows. Well, Åsnes know..!

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:29 am

This is the time of year when warehouses should be bursting. If not with one variety, then another.

If one has lots of Combat BC skis, you push that. Send the fewer new models to test markets, put them on the press circuit. Then switch over when the new models are plentiful. Sell off the dwindling old stock at a reduced price.

Lots of ways to do this without losing money or reducing margins. Swap lines out with retailers mid year, sell off the old line through a factory direct programme. Everyone wins. That’s the conventional approach.

Retail can sell “new”. They know how to do that.

Selling two white skis sharing pretty much the same name will be tough as you pointed out (keeping in mind that some markets may use “Combat” and some markets may use “Combat” and “Jeger”, as they have in the past.)

Asnes isn’t a stupid company. Either they haven’t thought this through, there’s something we don’t understand about the line up, or something else is going on.

Nitram alluded to Private Equity. If anything gums up the works, it’s PE. Most PE runs on a pump and dump business model. Some PE is in it for the long haul, but that’s rare. Confusion is typical when PE and old school meet in the boardroom. Idk if this is the case. Would love to read more on the PE angle if this is in fact the case…
Go Ski

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:05 am

@Musk Ox said, " Åsnes is principally oriented towards the Norwegian market, where the differences between fjellski, markaski and langrennski, for example, are understood by everyone in the sports shop, and every sports shop sells fjellski. "

Interesting, but I had to look it up, lol. I came the across this article which explains the 3 ski types you mention.

https://www.sportsnett.no/fjellski-highlights

Markaski is described then I'm guessing turski is the langrennski and fjellskis are the mountain skis described in the steep section. Yes very different skis and a good Nordic ski quiver should have one of each plus maybe skate or classic track skis if you like that sort of thing.
Question, what is up with the Donkeys title for most of the skis in the English translation of the article, lol?
Last edited by wabene on Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:14 am

Stephen wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:25 am
Manney wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:19 am
There you go you, mca80. All my posts deleted. Thread’s all yours now.

Demystify things for us from your secret survivalist bunker. Or you can leave a handwritten note under a rock at Northern Highland or Sylvania if your tinfoil hat is blocking your burst transmitter signal. LOL..
You’ve been more civil lately, but it’s this sort of thing that gets people throwing shade your way.
A downer, and completely unnecessary.
Do. Not. Feed.

Manney

Post by Manney » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:18 am

Booze. Stunts. Growth.
Go Ski

mca80

Post by mca80 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:26 am

Manney wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:18 am
Yawn.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:36 am

wabene wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:05 am
@Musk Ox said, " Åsnes is principally oriented towards the Norwegian market, where the differences between fjellski, markaski and langrennski, for example, are understood by everyone in the sports shop, and every sports shop sells fjellski. "

Interesting, but I had to look it up, lol. I came the across this article which explains the 3 ski types you mention.

Markaski is described then I'm guessing turski is the langrennski and fjellskis are the mountain skis described in the steep section. Yes very different skis and a good Nordic ski quiver should have one of each plus maybe skate or classic track skis if you like that sort of thing.
Question, what is up with the Donkeys title for most of the skis in the English translation of the article, lol?
To be honest I don't know if it's true that everyone understands the distinctions, but people gather skis like crockery or CDs in these parts.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:27 am

Donkeys used to make a ski called the Tur-Langrenn I believe, so I think your interpretation is correct, @wabene.

I like the Donkeys skis with a marked grease pocket myself.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:50 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:36 am
wabene wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:05 am

To be honest I don't know if it's true that everyone understands the distinctions, but people gather skis like crockery or CDs in these parts.

If you want to understand em, ski em often.

mca80 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:27 am
Donkeys used to make a ski called the Tur-Langrenn I believe, so I think your interpretation is correct, @wabene.

I like the Donkeys skis with a marked grease pocket myself.
Yeah baby!

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:02 pm

Manney wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:06 am
So one of these skis will die. Odds are it’s the old Combat NATO. Which gets back to the question of what’s the rationale behind the new one. Doesn’t appear to be anything significantly different… otherwise, wouldn’t Asnes be leaning on that as a selling point? (“It costs us less to make or we’re streamlining the range” isn’t anything that sells skis to a customer. Easy to sell in the boardroom tho. In the absence of anything to the contrary, this seems like a credible explanation for what’s happening here.)
The old Combat NATO breaks trail better, and is a more efficient XC ski.

The Ingstad turns better, making it easier for people to stay in control.

The military often seems to ski with nylon skins, while pulling sleds. This totally negates any advantage of better trail breaking or gliding.

However, when skiing with a 100lb backpack or sled, safety is paramount. A better turning ski can help with that.

The ingstad may just genuinely be a better product than the old Combat NATO, except for some niche uses that the military doesn't actually care about.

A lot of the skiing in Norway seems to be spring skiing, which is what the Sverdrup seems to be tuned for. That is going to eat into the demand for both Nansen and Ingstad.

Combining Ingstad and Combat NATO production on the same production line likely frees up some factory floor space, which may allow them to manufacture some of the skis they were unable to produce in any reasonable volume last year. Wonder if we'll see waxable MR48 return this year?