New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

Post by riel » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:43 am

Manney wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:38 pm
Also interesting about the skins. Synthetic skin material makes sense (it’s specifically mentioned in the Norwegian Army spec). Explained by the 40 day specified service life, which could be lot of mileage and rough use for troops on the move. It will be interesting to see if any special materials and construction techniques arise from this requirement. Kevlar weaves etc. Anything special could trickle down to us civilians.
Here is the specific short skin Asnes sells for the Combat NATO.

https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/nato-s ... m-spesial/

It has the old x-skin attachment, without the plastic tab. I don't know if the skin material is any different than what is used in their regular nylon climbing skins.

I have a pair of the 45mm nylon x-skins, which I used once with my Ingstads. They almost turn the skis into snowshoes, with little slide either forward or backward. By contrast, the 45mm and 30mm mohair skins still have decent grip, but the ski still glides like a ski should glide.

The new mix skins look interesting. I might get a 58mm one if those become available for sale in the US. Good for tours with the Ingstad or the Støretind where the 45mm mohair does not have enough grip.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:39 am

Ha ha. We think alike. As you were typing this, my search was focused on the skin specs. Interestingly, the NATO 62 and NATO BC have skins of different dimensions and weight.

NATO 62 (the new one)

IMG_0636.jpeg

NATO BC (the original)
IMG_0637.jpeg
Was thinking that the weight difference might be a thinner skin… but the tab difference you mentioned @riel makes more sense.

Note the different lengths. 5 cm difference… like 2 inches.
Go Ski

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:14 pm

Having experienced neither ski I’d be down to try both. Almost purchased a pair of 210 Natos last year when La Cordee had a sale but the last pair got scooped on me while ordering. I ‘settled’ for Ingstads on that same sale. Can’t say I was overly disappointed…

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:53 pm

FYI Varuste.net has Åsnes skis for -20 % sale the next five days still.

I just ordered Combat NATO’s in both 200 and 210 cm. 210 cm ones were not in stock, but 200 cm ones were immediately available. Let’s see which skis I will get :D Maybe I’ll order another pair of the 200 cm ones, when stock is over; so I might get the new ones, too…

EDIT: I would guess that the new Combat NATO tip is direction Gamme. At least it looks like that to me as a Gamme owner. So, new and old Combat NATO have distinctly different tip shapes (images below). Is the new tail somewhat more tapered, too?

EDIT2: It looks like Åsnes still sells the old version, too, under name Combat NATO Jeger BC (like some of you maybe discussed above already). Further, thw new ski has lengths 175,185,195,205 and the old one 170,180,190,200,210 so it is easy to predict which skis you will get.

https://www.asnes.com/produkt/combat-nato/

https://www.asnes.com/produkt/combat-nato-62-bc/

Old and new (images below)

IMG_1924.jpeg
IMG_1925.jpeg

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:01 pm

Holy hell. Just as I pretty much settled on the Nato, that I'd want a pair (either 200 or 210).

Am I understanding correctly, that the new version has rocker? If so, I'd better catch a pair of the old one. 200s are available for 368€ currently in a shop.

But wonder how much rocker there is, and if the camber really resembles Gamme more?

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:29 pm

riel wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:02 pm
Wonder if we'll see waxable MR48 return this year?
I have placed a pre-order for MR48 in 210 for this coming winter, so yes that is probable they have some on the line. Although they were supposed to have some in stock last winter too.

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:59 pm

I'm pretty sure I seen a full range of sizes at Norsemans in Calgary, don't quote me but give them a call

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:23 pm

Planning on stopping by Norseman tomorrow when I go for a ride to Calgary (riding season is damn near over….gotta wait a bit for XCd season :( ). Curious to see if they’ve got any ski gear out.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:57 am

Theme wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:01 pm

Am I understanding correctly, that the new version has rocker? If so, I'd better catch a pair of the old one. 200s are available for 368€ currently in a shop.

But wonder how much rocker there is, and if the camber really resembles Gamme more?
tkarhu wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:53 pm

EDIT: I would guess that the new Combat NATO tip is direction Gamme. At least it looks like that to me as a Gamme owner. So, new and old Combat NATO have distinctly different tip shapes (images below). Is the new tail somewhat more tapered, too?
All speculation until someone from Åsnes comments or until someone here compares them. Is it a modified Ingstad construction in terms of rocker and stiffness or a wide Gamme-type? The latter may be better matching the requirements of the military in terms of distance skiing through variable snow conditions.

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:52 am

Inclined to agree @CwmRaider. Asnes might not comment if a bid for a military contract is pending tho.

Could see a ski with a more prominent, stiffer rocker having some military utility… thinking a reconnaissance troop or a pathfinder element. Not carrying bivouac gear, moving light to mark a suitable route for the main body (the German military ski manual of WWII that was more of less ghost written by the Finns described this function). Want to move faster to cover more distance in a lightly loaded configuration, Letting the main body catch up for the night or doubling back for same.

If this ski will be for military use, it’s more likely to be Asnes’ bid to meet some unique performance requirement that the old NATO BC ski would have had trouble passing… or a civilianized version (less costly to produce) that would replace the NATO BC at the consumer level.

We know it’s not weight (both skis weigh the same), edges (both metal), materials (same), or even weight bearing potential (same critical widths). That leaves handling or some kind of cost factor as things that come to mind.

Happy to have my OG Combat NATOs atm.
Go Ski