Sleeping bag?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
voilenerd

Sleeping bag?

Post by voilenerd » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:40 am

Any recommendations on what sleeping bag to buy for winter camping? My old down bag has too many holes and needs replaced and is frankly too heavy and bulky. I’m in Wyoming so our winters can be brutal.

Thanks!

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Re: Sleeping bag?

Post by Krummholz » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:44 am

Check out @ALinsdau on YouTube. He in your neck of the woods… He’s got a ton of reviews and videos on winter camping.

Sleeping Bags:

And one from Tom M (here) @tomm9850.

Camping:

Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:39 am

If I was overnighting in the winds, I’d take one of the windstopper western mountaineering bags. Temp requirements are a personal thing, but there’s every option. The reason I like the windstopper bags is that the frost that inevitably collects overnight on the surface of the bag is well kept out and the down stays dry.

I essentially only see western mountaineering and feathered friends bags out in the truly cold.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Post by JohnSKepler » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:56 am

I'm not using this yet but I plan to be. I've read really good reviews. Zenbivy.com
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:54 am

Same, will be trying out zenbivy for sure, awesome reviews on rokslide

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:58 pm

I appreciate the innovation, but the zenbivy offerings seem firmly 3 season to me. And i'm someone who takes quilts spring skiing/mountaineering. Where are y'all thinking of taking them?

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:32 pm

I have no idea about Wyoming - what are the temps like?

What is the primary use? Pulled in a pulk or stuffed in a pack? Multi-day or multi-week use? R-value or your sleeping pad, what kind of a tent do you use? What kind of a puffy jacket are you using, are you willing to sometimes extend your comfort with it on you?

Cumulus in Poland has great options and is customizable, and you are not paying for taxes if you choose something under $800 I hear.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:18 pm

I have one down 3-season sleeping bag of about 1 kg, one synthetic similar bag of similar weight, and one ultra light quilt, which I just bought for summer use mainly. The down bag is a Rab Neutrino 400, the synthetic 3-season bag Carinthia G-180 and the quilt is a King’s Canyon UL quilt. I sleep in lean-to shelters and in a tent. I think you can find lighter, ~800 g 3-season bags nowadays.

My idea has been to use the synthetic G-180 bag on top of the down bag. However, I have used them in around 0’ C, and in such temperatures I sleep better with one bag only. In -20’ C two bags would be necessary I guess. But with the Neutrino + King’s Canyon you could go to -10’ C easily I guess, too, and probably survive sudden -20’ C or even -30’ C nights, when wearing your camp clothes inside the bag (yet I might not fit into my Neutrino with all the clothes, it is a snug fit).

The idea of a synthetic bag on top of a down bag is to improve moisture handling. And the idea of layering sleeping bags is to improve multi-functionality. Of course a top bag needs to be over-sized, so one might not be that warm, when you use a top bag on its own.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:10 pm

tkarhu wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:18 pm
I have one down 3-season sleeping bag of about 1 kg, one synthetic similar bag of similar weight, and one ultra light quilt, which I just bought for summer use mainly. The down bag is a Rab Neutrino 400, the synthetic 3-season bag Carinthia G-180 and the quilt is a King’s Canyon UL quilt. I sleep in lean-to shelters and in a tent. I think you can find lighter, ~800 g 3-season bags nowadays.

My idea has been to use the synthetic G-180 bag on top of the down bag. However, I have used them in around 0’ C, and in such temperatures I sleep better with one bag only. In -20’ C two bags would be necessary I guess. But with the Neutrino + King’s Canyon you could go to -10’ C easily I guess, too, and probably survive sudden -20’ C or even -30’ C nights, when wearing your camp clothes inside the bag (yet I might not fit into my Neutrino with all the clothes, it is a snug fit).

The idea of a synthetic bag on top of a down bag is to improve moisture handling. And the idea of layering sleeping bags is to improve multi-functionality. Of course a top bag needs to be over-sized, so one might not be that warm, when you use a top bag on its own.
I did this. I have a 15F down quilt and a 45F synthetic that is oversized and made with a zipper. It works very well in a very wide variety of conditions and configurations. I’ve been happy in cold conditions, but I wouldn’t trust it in the winter in the winds or alaska.

IMG_1945.jpeg

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:48 pm

Thanks for the tips. Will checkout those videos!