Binding mount on Fischer Traverse 78

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
skimrg

Binding mount on Fischer Traverse 78

Post by skimrg » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:25 pm

Hello,

Newbie here – alpine skier but new to cross country skiing.
I have one pair of 205cm skis with NNN BC bindings mounted with BP method (nnn bc boot bar over ski balance point) – for flats (and small hills).
Getting second pair of skis for more hilly terrain (not up/down AT style) - Fischer Traverse 78 and Rottefella ST Cable bindings.
I was thinking to mount them the same way, BP method for 3-pin (3-pin line over balance point) but in the case of 3-pin bindings/boots, my feet will be 2-3cm further back when flat on the skis comparing to nnn bc bindings/boots. Should I mount them 2-3cm (or more) forward of balance point? Also, flat or some binding riser?

Thank you.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Binding mount on Fischer Traverse 78

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:49 pm

Hello and WELCOME!

We have the Traverse 78- NNNBC- mounted on balance point. Great Nordic touring ski!

In years past- I too would have mounted 3pin-cable on a ski like the 78- and I would have mounted them at chord center. However- back in the day- a ski like this would not have had any rocker...

That ski now has rocker- which is something to consider- fully-weighted, the effective edge is shortened by the rocker. With pins at BP- how does it look with the ski fully compressed and the rocker opened up?

Would be great if someone posts that has this current model ski model and has 3pin mounted on it.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

skimrg

Post by skimrg » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:05 pm

Thank you Lilcliffy.

They are 184cm long (straight tape pull).
Chord Center falls 1cm (exactly 11.5mm) behind Balance Point mark.
Tip rocker is around 26cm.

Interestingly, placing ball of the foot in the middle of running surface puts 3-pin line 3cm behind the BP mark – but that’s not including tip rocker (Alpine way) - when tip rocker part running surface is included it places 3-pin line 4cm in front of BP mark using BoF method.

I guess I’m overthinking it …
f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f4.jpg
f7.jpg

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:39 pm

I purchased the 78s in 199cm from my local Fischer dealer. I’m waiting on the Xplore bindings to show up. They mount the pins on the balance point. An alpine fat ski those are mounted using a boot center method.

Speaking of which looks like the new Fischer 78s are now max length 199s and made in China. Plus no kicker skin hole in ski. Thought they came max 196 and made in Austria?

skimrg

Post by skimrg » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:12 am

I think mine are 2022 model, made in Czech Republic.

Yes, Xplore or NNN BC bindings on Balance Point, I assume.
Same with 3Pin bindings? or mount slightly forward since with 3Pin my foot is about 2-3cm back comparing to NNN BC?

Also, any riser?
Voile 2cm riser seems too much - 1cm on the other hand does not fit and must be modified, from what I read here.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:42 am

XPlore, NNN BC on BP. 3 pin 1 inch forward.

No need for riser.
Go Ski

skimrg

Post by skimrg » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:38 pm

1 inch forward of BP it is :-)
Thank you.