Do I need a heel piece for a 3-pin binding?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:18 pm

I recently found a fischer transnordic 66 at a used gear shop. I plan on putting a simple voile 3-pin toe piece on it, no cables. I noticed that voile includes a heel piece with their hd mountaineer binding. Do I really need a heel piece or can I use just the toe piece? I currently have just a toe piece.

Lhartley

Re: Do I need a heel piece for a 3-pin binding?

Post by Lhartley » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:00 am

The first thing that I think of is you would run the risk of damaging the 3 pin holes on your boots with heel movements on side hills, turns etc. At the very least add some grip tape?

Mattafix

Post by Mattafix » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 am

You don’t really need a heel piece, I think. Voilé and Rottefella 3pin heel pieces for example don’t give any support sideways. I wouldn’t be worried about the 3pin holes. What supports your boot sideways depends on the duckbill sitting in the toe cage. A snug fit will give good support. There’s another point to think about: The soles of your boots are not really flat, they are rockered in some way. If you have stiff, rockered soles, then there will be a certain upward power on the front screws of the binding standing with your heels flat on the ski. It’s not really a lot of power and I wouldn’t be worried about tearing screws out. But you will feel the resistance when lowering the heel. Especially if you want to do tele turns on the downhill it’s a better feeling to have some degrees of forward lean. But: A Rottefella Super Telemark heel piece is not much more then 5 or 6 mm in height what fits flat soles. So, if you feel good without a heel piece, go for it.

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:26 am

50 years in 3 Pins says No.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:41 am

Do you really need them? Probably not. But my 9 pairs of skis mounted with 3 pin bindings all have them, for whatever that is worth.

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:31 am

Mattafix wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 am
A Rottefella Super Telemark heel piece is not much more then 5 or 6 mm in height........
It’s just short of 7mm. The Voilé heel-pad, with its underlying shim/spacer is 12mm. I have them both lying around in spares boxes, as I use risers.

I don’t see why anyone should make a big deal out of this – the part is available here in Europe for just 12 Euros, so probably less than that in USA. Just buy the part and put it on. It will make the skis easier to sell later on, as a potential buyer might find them “odd” without the heel-pieces.

https://www.aventurenordique.com/voile- ... l-pad.html

As to the question: “Do I need……?”, I very much doubt that it is necessary, but bear in mind that the profile on your boot sole will pick up small stones which will remain wedged in and could possibly damage your top-sheet, making the skis even less appealing to a potential buyer.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:33 am

Appreciate the replies. I'll try and find a heel piece and add it.

mrhppinhg

Post by mrhppinhg » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:46 am

I would personally prefer to ski without the heel piece, as I find it more lightweight, and flexible.

Bohemian
Ski style: AT, telemark, BC, XC, snowboard (alpine)

Post by Bohemian » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:06 am

I've been puzzled by this too. Got a set of skis which I want to be ready for use for my other half (boot size EU36-37) and myself (40-41), we are both in the same weight range for most skis with me usually carrying a slightly heavier backpack. It looks like I may have to fit 2 small heel pieces (you know, the old style). Or would it be enough to glue a piece of cork or so to the top sheet in the missing bits? Either that or double heel pieces. Or no heel piece and just glued bits of cork? Saves drilling and screws :lol:
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:33 pm

Kinda like the old style that sorta holds the boot in place if you balance on the boot/ski. Man the skiing is dy-no-mite! TM