Xplore Tips and Tricks?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Xplore Tips and Tricks?

Post by Manney » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:10 am

Idk if Rottefella is “shifting blame” on the consumer with the grease kit. We all know that all ski equipment requires maintenance. This is just maintenance unique to these boots. Like cleaning and putting a bit of grease on an NNN BC toe bar (Q Tip) or picking pebbles and debris out of NN pin holes (dental pick).

It’s funny that ppl are still taking a wait and see approach on the durability of NNN BC bindings. Even the masters of “last generation @ twice the price” (aka militaries) are specifying NNN BC for some of their ski systems. So maybe we skiers can put that debate to bed? But it sure is fun talking about which binding to choose for the Sirius Dog Sled Patrol around Greenland that none of us will ever take while falling in and out of love with boots like a Paris runway model.

Agree about the reviewer. We all choose the slopes we’re on. Nobody is making us ski anything we don’t want to. Some equipment makes it easier, some harder. Some gear is enabling, others are prosthetics. Interesting debate going on about this elsewhere…

https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... post124399

The boot is a big issue for sure, telerat. It’s fair to say that boots are getting better and better due to user demand for more support and an apparent ambivalence over the prices now being charged.
Go Ski

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:04 am

Manney wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:10 am
Interesting debate going on about this elsewhere…

https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... post124399
Loved that post!
It's kind of sad how everyone's in such a rush for fast results these days.
With the new telemark gear, we can pick up that telemarkish-style skiing pretty quickly, but we might miss out on the vibes Dickie Hall was grooving to back in the '70s.

I prefer the simpleness of NNN manual bindings. (KISS)
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:27 am

For my local backcountry Nordic ski touring I use NN-3pin (with "cable"), NNNBC, and Xplore.

Last winter was my first winter using Xplore boots and bindings.
I used two very different boots:
- Alpina Alaska XP
- Alfa Free XP

I used two very different skis mounted to XP:
- Fischer E109-XL
- Asnes Rabb 68
I am struggling a bit with fit issues with both the Alaska XP and the Free XP- for different reasons.
The Free may end up being a boot that I use rarely- for purely downhill-focused skiing.
I love the Alaska XP, but I may end up giving up and replacing it with a different leather boot (currently considering the plain leather Crispi XP boot...)

I have bought- but have not used- the Lundhags Abisku Expedition XP.

I have bought- but have not tested- the Asnes Falketind Xplore, and have mounted XP on it.
Depending on my results with the FTX ski- I may end up switching to XP on my Asnes Ingstad BC.
Tips and tricks? (Back to the OP)-

Flexors-
I have used all three flexors (standard, hard, free-pivot)-

The standard flexor is probalby just right. Just enough resistance to encourage effective Nordic technique- soft enough not to inhibit sustained climbing and kick turns; and/or constant hilly transitions. Downhill the standard flexor is just fine- just enough resitance to both provide some stability, as well as encourage/facilitate pressuring the ski. Of note is that the standard/medium flexor on NNNBC engages with the boot "sooner" than it does with XP...This produces a short/low free-pivot when the XP heel is lifted, before the flexor engages.

The free pivot is great to have- I have tested it and it provides completely "free"/zero resistance for climbing with skins. I will not end up using it unless I am doing sustained climbs in truly mountainous terrain. The performance is identical to removing the flexor from an NNNBC binding (which I would do for sustained climbs in the mountains).

I like a free-heel Nordic binding-boot system that offers at least some minimal resistance- both for striding on gentle terrain- as well as for downhill skiing. That resistance facilitates my pressuring of the ski (in both contexts); as well as improves stability downhill- especially in variable and/or rough terrain and snow conditions. I can certainly downhill ski in free-pivot mode in IDEAL snow/terrain/cover conditions. But- in my local skiing context- there is so much microtopography, vegetation, and deep multi-layered snow, that downhill skiing in free-pivot mode is a recipe for "going over the handle bars".

The hard flexor is much harder than the standard. It therefore both increases resistance as well as inproves downhill stability. Some may really like this- some may not- some may be indifferent. I made some early mistakes with the hard flexor. I really wanted to see if I could tolerate the hard flexor for my typical touring- involving significant distance (often more than 20kms), as well as constant transitions in low vertical hilly/steep terrain and deep multi-layered snow. The result? I hurt my feet- both my metatarsus and my toes. I hurt my feet bad enough that it was a persistent problem for the entire season- a problem that has clouded my evaluation of both of my current XP boots.

Personally I will only be using the hard flexor for downhill-focused skiing (ie not Nordic touring).

I have had zero issues with the XP boot-binding interface.
I have had a couple of incidents where my boot- severely torqued in a bit of a crash- has popped out of the binding. I cannot confirm what actually caused this- my boot might not have been properly inserted in the binding to begin with- in both incidents the snow was deep, fresh and wet and there was probably packy snow between my boot and the binding.

As far as snow packing and building up underfoot-
this still does happen with XP (as it can with any system in backcountry conditions), but the XP binding does not have the rails and crooks and crannies of NNNBC. I personally don't have any serious issues with NNNBC snow/ice build up in the rails (this is due to both snow conditions- as well as personal skier attitude and technique). Snow/ice can build up under XP, but it is much easier and quicker to stomp it out of there than with the rails of NNNBC. And XP has NONE of the issues of the 3pin binding interface!

As far as dirt- I am extremely cautious with hiking in any ski boot. I avoid it.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:50 pm

I’ve run into the boot not completely engaged into the binding a couple of times- no more difficult to deal with than the ice/snow buildup I’ve experienced on NNN-BC and shuffling my foot around trying to work my boots into proper pin position on 75mm.

I’d like to find better prices. Seems like MEC has the best deal going right now…hopefully there’s an upcoming sale during the Xmas season. Seriously looking at Binding Freedom inserts.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:23 pm

Well some initial thoughts since my original post. So far I am really enjoying the Xplore binding on my Fischer 78s. Kick and glide is smooth and the flexor doesn’t feel restrictive. I need to try the hard flexor along with purchasing a more turny ski then the Fischer 78 before getting a better assessment.

Don’t think I will purchase the flat flexor. Don’t really feel the need. With my body weight 210lbs, the standard flexor feels rather soft/mushy and doesn’t interfere with kick and glide. Which is somewhat of a con. I’m use to the instant engagement of my TTS and NTN setups, so the Xplore feels rather tame. Maybe I might be surprised once I try the hard flexor here soon.

Climbing wire works well for certain pitches.

No issues with clipping in and out of the binding. Plastic release lever not sure how long that will hold up to for abuse and daily driving.