REI dumping ALFA boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bbense
Ski style: All of them except hucking
Favorite Skis: Voile V8, Blizzard Bonafide, Fischer Boundless
Favorite boots: Pretty much anything made by Scarpa

REI dumping ALFA boots

Post by bbense » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:33 am

Not that great a size selection, but REI is selling all it's remaining stock of Alpa Xplore boots at 60% off...

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Re: REI dumping ALFA boots

Post by Jurassien » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:44 am

Rats scurrying off a sinking ship?

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:49 am

Unfortunately, it seemed that REI started deviating from its roots in outdoor sports a decade or so ago. Lots of yoga pants now.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:22 am

I’m kicking my self for not buying the Alfa Free on sale. I did buy the Vistas and working out great!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:26 pm

There has to be a story behind REI dumping ALFA boots.
Such a drastic reversal of direction to heavily invest in inventory and then dump it.

I also bought a pair of Vistas.
$215 for a quality Xplore boot is pretty hard to beat.
Already have the Guard and Free, which may cover the bases, so if I don’t use the Vista this winter, I have the option to return them.

I’ve said it before — I like the Free, but really don’t like the lack of customization for lacing tension.
I like loose toes for my wide forefoot.
Can’t do it.
And, it relies on instep and ankle tightness to hold the heel, whereas, with lace boots, I can go tight in just the right place to hold the heel, without being overly tight where I don’t want overly tight.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:38 pm

The market for $500-$700 bcxc boots and $260 bcxc bindings is small. Most bcxc skiers are looking to kick around the woods a couple times a month for a few miles at a time. They are going to pizza, stem cristi, step turn, or side step their way down gentle hills. Most people are not serious about bcxc skiing and not looking to invest a lot of money in the best equipment to maximize their snow travel efficiency.

The number of people out there looking for a ski setup that maximizes long distance touring efficiency while stilling allowing an experienced telemark skier to confidently get down low to moderate angle descents is very small compared to the casual and timid bcxc skiers or the earn your tours plastic boot skiers.

I work at a store that sells backcountry downhill and backcountry crosscountry gear. I have had some people come in and purchase xplore bindings and boots but they had already done their research and knew that they wanted it. Over the past couple of years, I have tried to sell at least a dozen customers on the xplore binding and every single one of them declined the $260 xplore binding for the $100 NNNBC binding. Most people also cringe at $300 boots and expect $150-$200. The new Alaska Xplore is $430.

Even if the very high price of Alfa boots can be explained and justified, the prices are still way too high for most users. I'm not surprised at all that REI is dropping Alfa. They probably sold very little of their product. Maybe the market in Northern Europe is different. Here in the Western United States, most of the terrain with significant snowfall involves significant ascents and descents. Most people want gear that is beginner friendly and inspires confidence on the downhill for half day backcountry adventures. Most people here view BCXC gear as having limited utility and value.

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:05 pm

JB TELE wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:38 pm
I'm not surprised at all that REI is dropping Alfa. They probably sold very little of their product.
I am not disagreeing with you, but...

If REI cant sell Alfa, then where did their stock of Alfa NNN-BC boots disappear to?
(maybe there was a previous "dumping" last year?)

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:06 pm

I wish someone from REI would post a response. The Asnes and Madshus skis that they have carried in the past are also missing in action. Alfa's boots have always been at a premium and I think you really have to be a dedicated skier to appreciate the difference between the Alfa Free and a Fischer BCX tour which are in REI's catalog at 1/3 the price. I guess the bottom line is that if a product doesn't move, then it is time to cut the losses and move on. Just for fun I searched REI's online catalog to find the most expensive socks they sell. I guess if I can't buy Alfa boots from REI I can alway get some socks :D
Screenshot 2023-12-13 200152.png

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:21 pm

bbense wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:33 am
Not that great a size selection, but REI is selling all it's remaining stock of Alpa Xplore boots at 60% off...
They give everyone terrible blisters!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:20 am

JohnSKepler wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:21 pm
They give everyone terrible blisters!
A pair of stockings at that price would give my brain terrible blisters.