Anybody recognize these bindings?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Kneedle Drop

Re: Anybody recognize these bindings?

Post by Kneedle Drop » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:35 am

I picked them up as part of a package. I was mostly interested in the boots (early T2s in great condition) and considered keeping the bindings for an XCD set up. Given the comments from those of you who know the superloop, I will leave them as they are and ride them on the resort when I want that old-school feeling. The Atomic skis they are mounted on narrow-waisted with a pronounced side cut. Should be useful on Mt. Sima when we don't have much fresh snow (i.e., right now).

Lhartley

Post by Lhartley » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:58 am

phoenix wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:15 pm
"Can you adjust the activity on these?"

I seem to recall there was a wee bit of adjustability by way of a couple of positions for cable routing on the sidewalls of the toe piece. Cable length and tension was adjusted by way of winding a plastic screw on the underside of the front throw housing; the cable was wound up in that housing. Another problem area.
Note that being a tele binding, the toe piece is spec'd to fit full thickness soles; plastics are welted leathers. The toe bale itself was very basic and had a somewhat sharp bite on the duckbill.
Thanks, they keep popping up for sale around here in Alberta for next to nothing and I've been meaning to try them to mess around with activity adjustability but if it's not much I won't bother. Hammerhead would be better for experimenting

bbense
Ski style: All of them except hucking
Favorite Skis: Voile V8, Blizzard Bonafide, Fischer Boundless
Favorite boots: Pretty much anything made by Scarpa

Post by bbense » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:59 pm

FWIW, these wouldn't be terrible as an XCD binding with a reasonably light boot and a soft touch on the spring tension. I certainly spent a lot of time going uphill with them in the 90's and early 2000's on skis that would be considered XCD skis today.

The reputation for breakage is way overstated. They broke no more ( and in my experience a lot less) than everything back then. Bindings took a long time to catch up to the power of the first plastic boots.

I would worry about the durability of the plastic toe throw. It's been a long time since those bindings were produced and plastic parts don't always age well. The superloops I have look just fine, but plastic that old often just explodes.