Waxing new skis with fish scales

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
idahoTux

Re: Waxing new skis with fish scales

Post by idahoTux » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:01 pm

bbense wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:32 am
idahoTux wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:07 am
So I contacted Madshus to ask for their guidance regarding their new 'waxless' skis. They replied that there's no need to wax them when brand new, they are good to go.
Umm... Do yourself a favor and carry some rub on paste wax for fresh wet snow.
Yep, thanks, I agree.

voilenerd

Re: Waxing new skis with fish scales

Post by voilenerd » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:06 am

I’ve had the best luck with Dominator Hard rub on wax. It’s expensive but last all day before needed reapplied and comes in wet or new snow hard blocks. Butter works great in spring/early summer wet snow conditions and no issues with glop or snow sticking to scales. For normal winter conditions I use rocket, if you want more eco friendly try their other rub on waxes.

What I do is hot wax my tips and tails with Dominator Zoom Universal hot wax when the bases look dry. Then use a their hard rub on wax depending on the snow conditions for the day. For instance if I’m skiing powder I use their new snow hard rub wax, if it’s older snow and hasn’t snowed in a week I used their old snow rub on wax. Faster glide then the paste and liquid waxes I’ve tried.