Lundhags Guide Explore BC Boot too tight...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
sheep
Ski style: Fallingdowning, Bumsliding, Snoweating...
Favorite Skis: Ånses Combat Nato

Re: Lundhags Guide Explore BC Boot too tight...

Post by sheep » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:22 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:14 pm
not that it matters, but that was not a picture of my foot, just something I found on the internet. I used it for the diagram of Ball of Foot.
My foot looks more similar to yours.
Oh... I see, I was wondering since that didn't even look like wide feet.

I guess the arrows point towards the Alfa Guard GTX, will give it a go.

I already want to start learning this journey has been mostly of figuring out technicalities than skiing, at this rate I'll know every single product, wax, shoe, technology; while being unable to move 1m on the skis. :)

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:54 pm

@sheep, here is a link to where I am trying different boots, which also has a picture of my foot shape, if that helps.
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... oot#p33543

I think where you may run into problems is not with the width of your foot, but by how splayed your toes are.
Most feet have been shaped by shoes and the toes are pushed in on both sides.
Yours are more like the fingers of the hand and go straight out.
Mine are similar, but not quite to the extent of yours.

In the Alfa Guard, I may be in a boot that is one size up from what my foot measures, but if I remember correctly, I used Alfa’s boot sizer recommendations, and that worked for me.

I guess all I can say is, use the sizing recommendations on the Varuste website, which are to measure your foot in cm, add 1.5 cm, (and for your foot shape, I think go up one size).

From Varuste:
Size chart

Place a paper close to the wall and with bare feet place the foot on the paper, with your heel to the wall. Since it is important to stand up straight, preferably have someone help you draw a line in front of the longest toe. Remember to measure both feet as they might not be identical. With a ruler, confirm the measurement in centimeters and add additional space accordingly. For Backcountry, Touring and Expedition add approx. 1.5 cm

The Alfa Guards do have High Volume, and I had to add a shim under the insole to take up some of the space, and they are still a bit big, around the ankles.
Also, you may need to tape your heels, to protect from blisters.
See: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... oot#p38809

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:03 pm

Rest assured I will not be posting any pictures of my feet

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:34 am

@sheep the big girth and / oblique girth of my feet (dimensions 4 and 5) are preventing me from even putting the xplore versions of these boots on.
Never had any issue with Crispi or Alfa boots. Scarpa boots fit extremely tight and didn't like the fit of Alpina Alaska BC.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:09 am

I’ve had the Alaska and Alfa Vista. Alaska’s never worked with my wide feet. The Alfa vista is a little wider than the Alaska but I’ve had heel blister problems with it. The Vista I feel needs a little more room in toe area because it seems wider near ball of foot but then goes pretty narrow near toes. On shorter days the Alfa feels fine. But longer days I can’t wait to take them off. Now I am on the hunt for different boots. Gonna try the Crispi Futura once I hear back on ordering from Telemarkdown.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:18 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:49 am
Which boot are talking about here-
the Guide BC or the Expedition BC?
Which Lundhags boot are we talking about?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:33 am

I have the Futura Pro XP- it is identical to a Svartisen, with an Xplore outsole (and as such, the XP has a much stiffer and more stable sole than the Svartisen BC (which is stiffer than the 75))-

I have the Alaska BC; Svartisen BC/Furura Pro XP; and the Guard BC- all in size 42EU.
These boots all have the same length last.
The Guard is the widest and largest volume- universally.
I do not personally find the Svartisen/Futura Pro to be entirely wider than the Alaska BC-
in fact, I find (just as I did when I first broke in the Svartisen) the Futura Pro to be a little snug, in terms of width, at the metatarsus→ I am sure it will break in as the Svartisen did.
The Svartisen/Futura Pro is wider through the heel and ankle than the Alaska BC.

@sheep Are you settled on NNNBC? The other boot to consider is the excellent Alfa Skaget- it is wider than the Svartisen/Futura Pro/Alaska BC; it has more volume through the instep; it has a beautifully contoured heel and ankle.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:57 am

If it the top of your midfoot that is the problem, try a skip lace technique- see photo here-

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/29/d8/04 ... 297f33.jpg

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:01 am

fisheater wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:41 am
Hello @sheep, because you mentioned custom boots, and you mentioned cold conditions, along with an unusual foot shape, I am offering an outside the box solution. It incorporates a moldable liner that allows for custom fitting, along with additional warmth. In North America Intuition liners are easy to order, although the are not cheap. It may be a more expensive option than a custom boot, but it is another option.
Here is a link to the thread:
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... Watermelon
[/q@sheep

This is a good idea, these liners really mold well.
If you go this route you may want to consider the Palau race liners. They come in 5mm and 7mm thicknesses so are more likely to work in a boot that wasn’t designed for a thicker liner.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:11 am

voilenerd wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:09 am
I’ve had the Alaska and Alfa Vista. Alaska’s never worked with my wide feet. The Alfa vista is a little wider than the Alaska but I’ve had heel blister problems with it. The Vista I feel needs a little more room in toe area because it seems wider near ball of foot but then goes pretty narrow near toes. On shorter days the Alfa feels fine. But longer days I can’t wait to take them off. Now I am on the hunt for different boots. Gonna try the Crispi Futura once I hear back on ordering from Telemarkdown.
Amen, that toe taper on boots and shoes is what caused my foot problems over the years. This is common with people that have wider feet and can cause bunions. It was too late for me when companies like the awesome Altra started designing shoes that actually have an anatomically correct shape. That is why I like Crispi boots. They go straight up from the joint of your big toe to the top. Alico is similar but slightly narrower. This knowledge comes wasting plenty of money on shipping and returns. My bootpocolypse.

@Stephen said, "Most feet have been shaped by shoes and the toes are pushed in on both sides."
Yes that is the problem.