F1 duck butt

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

F1 duck butt

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:12 pm

I just picked up a pretty nice pair of F1 boots! They do not have an add on duckbutt. I know these haven’t been around for a while, but are there places where they might be found? Pretty sure they would still be usable with a transit binding without the duckbutt am I right about that?
IMG_9616.jpeg
IMG_9617.jpeg
Veni, Vidi, Viski

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: F1 duck butt

Post by fisheater » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:28 pm

Hello John,
The Michael Bolt on Duckbutt is no longer available. The designer actually contributes here. I think it was liability issues, on a not for profit product that was the cause of the product being discontinued.
The good news is the Transit is getting good reviews on the other site. I have some F-1 Race I will be trying with Transit this season.

JohnSKepler

Post by JohnSKepler » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:07 pm

fisheater wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:28 pm
Hello John,
The Michael Bolt on Duckbutt is no longer available. The designer actually contributes here. I think it was liability issues, on a not for profit product that was the cause of the product being discontinued.
The good news is the Transit is getting good reviews on the other site. I have some F-1 Race I will be trying with Transit this season.
Thanks for that, Bob. I’m reading through a thread on BC Talk. Looks like I can 3D print one. Just need the STP file. Hopefully I can get that from somebody.

Really good reviews using the F1 with Meidjo and V6 which is exactly my setup. That darn TXPro just makes my right knee feel weird. It’s preventing me from strapping it all together and bombing down a mountain. I think it’s that high cuff. The F1 and T4 are about 3” lower which, on me, is a lot. It seems to mess with the alignment of my leg, maybe tilting it outward or something? I don’t feel that with the T4 or with this F1- so far, and certainly not with an Alaska or Free.

I’ll be looking forward to a Transit-F1 report!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Mattafix

Post by Mattafix » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:11 am

Hey John,
Nice boot! First generation F.1. The Transit will fit. If the boot still feels not soft enough, I recommend replacing the heel lever. You can use a Voilé strap as a top buckle.
I ski in walk mode all the time in TTS and Transit in position 1.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:25 am

I’ve got the F3s and have not even considered adding a duck butt. I’ve pretty much given up on NTN bindings and NTN boots due to the icing and boot jack issues in deep backcountry powder. Ive had problems with Lynx and my friend had same issues with Miedjo. When all your friends are getting multiple laps on a run, I’m too busy trying to get the snow out of my bindings. NTN bindings biggest flaw is how close the binding sits to the ski. Well enough ranting on NTN.

So long story short, I would use that boot with TTS. TTS has Softer feeling than NTN, more reliable, and a ton of fun in deep powder and corn.

JohnSKepler

Post by JohnSKepler » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:26 pm

voilenerd wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:25 am
I’ve got the F3s and have not even considered adding a duck butt. I’ve pretty much given up on NTN bindings and NTN boots due to the icing and boot jack issues in deep backcountry powder. Ive had problems with Lynx and my friend had same issues with Miedjo. When all your friends are getting multiple laps on a run, I’m too busy trying to get the snow out of my bindings. NTN bindings biggest flaw is how close the binding sits to the ski. Well enough ranting on NTN.

So long story short, I would use that boot with TTS. TTS has Softer feeling than NTN, more reliable, and a ton of fun in deep powder and corn.
I’m not going to disagree with any of that. Should I be fortunate enough to keep skiing I’d love to get a Transit. At the moment I have a basically new V6/Meidjo I’d like to put to good use and without an adapter plate (which I’d have to make) the ski would not accept a Transit. I’ve downloaded the template and there’s just no way. Ergo, the duckbutt.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:13 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:26 pm
At the moment I have a basically new V6/Meidjo I’d like to put to good use and without an adapter plate (which I’d have to make) the ski would not accept a Transit. I’ve downloaded the template and there’s just no way. Ergo, the duckbutt.
The Adapter Plate might be about as much work as the Duckbutt?
Not saying it’s the way to go, just a thought.
I thought about doing an adapter plate, but am too lazy.
:lol:

JohnSKepler

Post by JohnSKepler » Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:08 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:13 pm
JohnSKepler wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:26 pm
At the moment I have a basically new V6/Meidjo I’d like to put to good use and without an adapter plate (which I’d have to make) the ski would not accept a Transit. I’ve downloaded the template and there’s just no way. Ergo, the duckbutt.
The Adapter Plate might be about as much work as the Duckbutt?
Not saying it’s the way to go, just a thought.
I thought about doing an adapter plate, but am too lazy.
:lol:
I think an adapter plate will be pretty quick. The ski already has inserts for Meidjo so it's just a matter of using a template to mark spots and drilling them for some - not all - of the Meidjo holes, and then using the binding template on the adapter plate. I think I can do it and only add a 1/4" of riser. But the Transit binding isn't cheap and I already have the Meidjo.

If I have to make my own duckbutt from scratch I'll just do that. I have access to a laser scanner for the manifold surface on the boot then just a matter of aligning the 'ledge' with the boot sole. Probably take a few prototypes to get that 'level'. I also have an idea for making one out of aluminum that has a different, possibly simpler, possibly removable, connection to the boot.

My day job is hard and it matters. It's nice to think about achievable things that don't matter.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:58 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:08 pm
I also have an idea for making one out of aluminum…
I would be concerned about the coefficient of friction with the aluminum. It’s not slippery stuff and you’re relying on that duckbutt to slide out of the binding in a release situation.

I already wish the TXP duckbutt was made out of a more slippery plastic than it is.