Slow Night so I Thought I would Talk About my Transit Mount

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Slow Night so I Thought I would Talk About my Transit Mount

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:36 pm

Finally we have shut down for the construction season. It’s just too hard to be productive in this weather. The Transit has been here for a month, the Pariah came in early August.
I’m a pencil, tape, and small square mount guy. Nothing ever goes wrong with my mounts, I’m pretty careful and deliberate. However the toe piece on the Transit has 8 screws! I have mounted Hammerhead and Vice, if I recall correctly they were 6 screws.
So I laid out boot center, pin line, and the longitudinal center line. I clamp a yard stick for that line. I’m certainly not perfect with pencil, ruler, and square. I am a lot better over 3 feet, than I would be over 18 inches. Basically the same amount of error, just over a longer distance.
I’ve been using this spring loaded center punch for my last few mounts, and now I wouldn’t be without it. If the punch isn’t perfect, I just push it in the proper direction and the hole is located perfectly. No hammer is used either. It has improved my accuracy.
image0.jpeg
I think that center punch is the single greatest improvement I’ve made in my system. I’m still using a 9/64” drill bit with tape. I throw this particular bit in the chuck and it spins true. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
I went back to Titebond III for glue. While polyurethane swells in the hole, I certainly get enough Titebond in the hole, because some gets pushed out. The reason is that I’ve pulled bindings out that were set with polyurethane, it sure does screw out easy in my opinion. Titebond III takes a little effort. For me if I use epoxy, there is no chance of reusing the holes.
My next question was where to locate the heel piece. When all else doesn’t make sense, follow Voile’s instruction, call Telemark Down and receive a text of Voile’s instruction, then send a message to @Woodserson only to decide Voile’s instructions should work. I think it is the perfect location. Duh! On me!
Hopefully I will get them to the ski hill this week, the only snow around me. I’ll give a report later in the year, as this is my first tech set up.
image1.jpeg

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Re: Slow Night so I Thought I would Talk About my Transit Mount

Post by JohnSKepler » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:08 am

Very nice! Really stoked to hear how they ski. What are you going to be skiing them with? Interesting your take on screws and glue. I used both Titebond III and Gorilla Glue last year. The Titebond screws were a lot easier to remove. But, for the one binding I mounted without inserts this year, I used the Titebond.

I was about convinced to get a Transit for the F1 boots I found last week but it looks like Voile is out of stock and I kind of doubt I’ll see any more until March. However, I did get my ‘hands’ on the 3D file for the Michael Bolton Duckbutt and decided, for now, to go with the Meidjo on the V6.
Veni, Vidi, Viski

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:25 am

Nice setup. I’ve got the new Transit too. Waiting on more snow in the backcountry before trying them since I got new skis too. On another note, I scored some brand new 2024 Ultravectors BCs for half off. I couldn’t pass it up. One thing I noticed is the new 2024 skis have more camber and slight less rocker in tips compared to my older Ultravectors BC. I would post pic but this site sucks for photos from my phone.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:29 am

@JohnSKepler i can’t believe you managed to get the 3-D file! Not that a 3-D file would be of use to a dinosaur like me.
Hopefully you’ll be enjoying the “Greatest Snow on Earth” very soon

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Post by JohnSKepler » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:29 pm

fisheater wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:29 am
@JohnSKepler i can’t believe you managed to get the 3-D file! Not that a 3-D file would be of use to a dinosaur like me.
Hopefully you’ll be enjoying the “Greatest Snow on Earth” very soon
Actually, I've been getting out a little on the motorcycle. We're supposed to get some snow next Sat-Sun and the forecast percentage and accumulation is going up. As fate would have it, I'm leaving on a business trip to Albuquerque Sunday afternoon for a few days!
Veni, Vidi, Viski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:55 pm

JohnSKepler wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:29 pm
I'm leaving on a business trip to Albuquerque Sunday afternoon for a few days!
What part of town? Red or green?

There appears to be a decent base at all the resorts around Santa Fe and Taos and more snow predicted Thursday. Santa Fe is closest, ski hill is a decent drive up the mountains outside of town so figure a little over an hour or so from Abq.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:11 pm

Christmas = BOTH! Was just in Sante Fe and Taos before Thanksgiving. No skiing, A LOT of eating and a little hiking. If I had time I would have checked out the INDIAN PUEBLO CULTURAL CENTER in Albuquerque and got some culture and Tacos! https://indianpueblo.org/
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:25 pm

Where did you eat in Santa Fe? Have you skied any of the resorts in the area, Red River, Angelfire etc?