Solved knee and back pain

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Solved knee and back pain

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:40 pm

Ah, yeah. Maybe we need a "sticky" on injury prevention and mitigation!
At first, I thought this was a strain of the adductor brevis, but I think it's just a strain were that connects onto the bone.

At any rate this exercise has helped.

And to help identify the point of injury:
https://squatuniversity.com/featured-links/blog/

Specifically for hip pain:
Under "Injury and rehabilitation"
#12. https://squatuniversity.com/2017/08/17/ ... -you-have/

william5

Post by william5 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:21 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:37 pm
By about day 25 this season, my 68 year old back and knees were getting pretty sore.
I've found two simple exercises that have solved it for me, and as an added bonus, I'm off ibuprofen!

The first issue was lower back pain and tightness. I thought I might have also got it from changing my bed so I decided to buy this mattress lifter tool to help me change my sheets. I stumbled upon this exercise looking for solutions and it was amazing.

The title is "How to Fix “Low Back” Pain (INSTANTLY!)"
I was skeptical, but after the 3 minutes or so it took to do the exercise, it did indeed completely remove my back pain.

It's the kind of pain I also get early season mountain biking, so it's part of my daily routine.

The knee pain was mostly in my right knee and I figured it could be due to the fact that my right patella doesn't move nearly as freely as my left, so I started trying to free both up more, so that they can track properly.

Today was day 49 skiing. I got in 12 hard bump runs today (I usually get in 8 or so, so I'm probably over 250 bump runs for the season) and a couple of groomers, and I'm gassed. But I'm not in pain and I expect I'll be hitting the runs tomorrow without issues.
Wow, that's great to hear Montana St Alum! It's really impressive that you were able to find two exercises that have solved your back and knee pain. It's great that you were able to get off ibuprofen as well! It sounds like you've done a lot of ski runs this season, so you know your body pretty well and it's great that you were able to figure out what the real source of the pain was. Kudos to you for taking the time to do the exercises and now being able to enjoy the season without any pain!

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:28 am

[/quote]

Wow, that's great to hear Montana St Alum! It's really impressive that you were able to find two exercises that have solved your back and knee pain. It's great that you were able to get off ibuprofen as well! It sounds like you've done a lot of ski runs this season, so you know your body pretty well and it's great that you were able to figure out what the real source of the pain was. Kudos to you for taking the time to do the exercises and now being able to enjoy the season without any pain!
[/quote]

"Knock on wood", right?
I can't claim I never need ibuprofen anymore, but not for my back or knees, and these and other exercises have really made ib generally unnecessary. Today will be day 70 of this year! We've had a bunch of snow, over 400" at DV, so the bumps have been pretty civilized. But 70 days and maybe 5 or 6 bump runs a day plus groomers, powder runs, etc. really add up.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:09 am

This is my favorite

SunnyPhilly

Post by SunnyPhilly » Thu May 09, 2024 8:39 am

Have you managed to solve the problem

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu May 09, 2024 11:35 am

SunnyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 8:39 am
Have you managed to solve the problem
If you are referring to me, yes, the knee and back pain are gone. I took a huge crash this season in a high speed tele carve, but I'm doing shoulder (rotator cuff) exercises and those have also resolved nicely. I thought I'd need surgery, but I'm at about 90% (of course, being 71, that's 90% of about 60%! :) ).

SunnyPhilly

Post by SunnyPhilly » Tue May 14, 2024 8:42 am

It's excellent to hear you've found something that works for your back and knees! I also struggle with knee pain, and a mix of stretching and strengthening exercises helps. For my knees, doing leg lifts and wall sits regularly has made a noticeable difference. I also incorporate some yoga twice weekly to improve flexibility and joint health. Plus, I've added a weekly massage at Rosedale Wellness in Downtown Toronto, which helps with muscle recovery.
Your routine is solid, especially with the improvements you're seeing. It might be worth exploring if adding light yoga could also benefit you, given its focus on balance and alignment.
Last edited by SunnyPhilly on Fri May 17, 2024 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue May 14, 2024 9:02 am

SunnyPhilly wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 8:42 am
It's excellent to hear you've found something that works for your back and knees! I also struggle with knee pain, and a mix of stretching and strengthening exercises helps. For my knees, doing leg lifts and wall sits regularly has made a noticeable difference. I also incorporate some yoga twice weekly to improve flexibility and joint health.
Pre-COVID I did some exercises like you mention and I thought they helped quite a bit. I'm going to have to go back to incorporating weight bearing exercises. I'm on some mild chemo that has depleted some of my bone mass. It's minor at this point, but those exercises (with weights) appear to help a lot for that as well.
Good luck!