Beginner XCD ski choice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
trinacu

Re: Beginner XCD ski choice

Post by trinacu » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks for all the tips/considerations.
We have mountainous terrain around here, but I have heavy fat telemark skis for that. The terrain I want this skis for is mostly flat and rolling hilly terrain - I am looking for a ski that I can do some distance on, but would also allow me to climb and descend some moderate slopes.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:08 pm

The Fischer 78 is a good choice for the XC skiing you describe.
I much prefer the E99 for this type of touring- it is faster and lighter.
The 78 is better than the current E99 in deep snow- not because of flotation but because it has a more supportive full-length flex than the E99 Xtralite.
I would want a long 78 for this type of skiing- I cannot see the advantage of a short touring ski in this context...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

trinacu

Post by trinacu » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:17 am

Cool - thanks for all the info; really appreciate the input from someone who has experience as that is what counts IMO. Yes, I don't want to get stuck when we do get some powder and I do understand that a jack of all trades is a master of none, but I do believe that is the way to go for now - if I really get into it I might consider getting more specialized sets of skis.
I ordered 78's 189 cm and they were "dispatched" today so hopefully I can get them (and the boots) before the weekend!
I'll update you with a photo or two when I get the chance

trinacu

Post by trinacu » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:51 am

The boots are here! I ordered some HydroBloc as a lot of you have suggested. If I understand correctly I should let the boots sit in wet towels for the leather to absorb some water and then rub the HydroBloc in?

Also which way are these "folds" supposed to go? Like they are on the inner or on the outer side of the boot?
IMG_20201221_133526.jpg

trinacu

Post by trinacu » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:39 am

I have treated my boots with HydroBloc (first time ever treating leather). I think it turned out pretty well - only thing I don't like too much is the spot under where laces go on the right boot; the leather didn't darken too much there (see picture).
I used a sponge and a soft brush on the first boot (left), and just wore a nitrile glove and used my fingers for the second which worked super well except I still "had to" use the brush to get the parts around the rivets.
IMG_20201224_102102.jpg

trinacu

Post by trinacu » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:51 am

Got the skis! Going out tomorrow morning to try them :)
Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist, but should I be worried about this? I saw a post of someone's ski splitting from the edge a while ago.
IMG_20201230_134207.jpg
IMG_20201230_134140.jpg
Also is the detail around the easy skin hole on all of these skis so sloppy?
IMG_20201230_134246.jpg

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:40 am

The first photo above looks like it might be the beginning of delamination- hard for me to tell for sure-
Document this- like you have and be prepared to return under warranty. (How long is Fischer's warranty?)
Keep taking dated photos of this if it gets worse.

The second photo doesn't strike me as delamination.

In both cases, I would take a utility knife and carefully trim off any loose material so that it doesn't catch on anything and encourage further peeling. I would also put a dab of epoxy on at least the first spot.
If it is any comfort- I do this seasonally on all of my touring skis that have gotten a lot of use.
I just went over my Traverse 78 with a knife and epoxy for the first time (I have used them a lot recently).
Your question about the Alaska lacing-

I have small volume feet- the Alaska has a medium-width last, but has a lot of volume for that width.
I trained my boots so that the leather sides slide neatly over the tongue. (I can take a photo of this if you like.)

By comparison, my wife has large volume feet, and in order for her Alaskas to fit comfortably, there is actually a gap between the leather tongue and sides of the boot.

(I know that people have been questioning the lacing system of this boot- but I think it is excellent. The first locking cleat enables a customized lacing over the forefoot, separated from whatever tension you wish to apply through the instep, ankle-heel and lower calf).

Let me know if you would like photos of our boots laced up.
Gareth

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:23 pm

On the subject of the "seal" between the Easy-Skin slot and the Offtrack Crown base- yes mine look like that as well- in different locations on each ski-
Gives me the eebee-jeebees...

trinacu

Post by trinacu » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:21 am

I have taken pictures and will save them. I found the document that describes the warranty stuff but don't feel like reading it today :D I will get some epoxy and do as you say - seems like a reasonable approach.
I'd love to see how you manage the extra material with smaller feet, yes.

I went to the local track today (it's just like a 1k circuit, but great for practice and getting the technique down) and had a great time. Will be going back soon, then when I feel like I'm ready I'll go for a longer off-track trip.
Back to my pair - I might not have used enough HydroBloc? When I got back today I checked the boots and there seemed to be a bit of cracking (?) - maybe it wasn't really cracks just super dry? I only took the photo after I applied some more so I don't know if you can tell anything from it. Anyway, I put another coating (used way less cream, also boots were more or less dry). Should I use so much so that the whole of the boots turn as dark as some of the spots on the picture?

What about storage? Is room temperature (~20°C / 86 F) fine or do you store them in a cooler place? Can dry air be a problem?

Thanks for all the feedback :)
IMG_20201231_160540.jpg