Fischer Transnordic BOOT

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ira

Re: Fischer Transnordic BOOT

Post by Ira » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:54 pm

I haven't tried one in the snow (I tried it on and returned it after walking 2 steps in it indoors) but it's super-stiff and uncomfortable for me (similar to how a plastic boot felt years ago when I tried it). The Fischer rep said it's more for downhill/turns than for kick-and-glide. I returned it new/unused.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:18 pm

Just wanted to link to other thread on this boot (other thread is specifically 75mm ).
(Other thread already has link to this one.)
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4421

stilltryin

Post by stilltryin » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:12 pm

Apples and oranges, but:
Yesterday, Alaska 75 on Alpina X-Terrain.
Today, Transnodic BC on Karhu XCD/GT.
Breaking trail in breakable crust (1/2" wind packed over a foot of powder), old two-track, up and back.
I noticed no big difference in the XC performance of these boots in these conditions.
I may not be as sensitive to the nuances as some, but if the TransN were dramatically different, I should have noticed.
Caveat: I often tromp around the woods in T3s and Excursions on Hoks, Boundless, and wider; so that may in part explain my lack of sensitivity.
Note: I am neither pro nor anti-Trans, just experimenting. ;)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:01 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:12 pm
Apples and oranges, but:
Yesterday, Alaska 75 on Alpina X-Terrain.
Today, Transnodic BC on Karhu XCD/GT.
Breaking trail in breakable crust (1/2" wind packed over a foot of powder), old two-track, up and back.
I noticed no big difference in the XC performance of these boots in these conditions.
I may not be as sensitive to the nuances as some, but if the TransN were dramatically different, I should have noticed.
Caveat: I often tromp around the woods in T3s and Excursions on Hoks, Boundless, and wider; so that may in part explain my lack of sensitivity.
Note: I am neither pro nor anti-Trans, just experimenting. ;)
I would think the Karhu XCD GT would have much better performance than the heavily side cut Alpina X-Terrain. That being said, I notice significant XC performance difference between T-4, Ski March, and Alaska 75. I’ll go further and say there is a definite XC performance difference between Alaska BC and Alaska 75, with the nod going to Alaska BC.
I will be interested in your continued reports as Norwegian welted 75 mm soled boots are getting more difficult to find. Is the duckbill on the Trans Nordic thicker than the Alaska 75 duckbill?

stilltryin

Post by stilltryin » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:16 pm

My Transnordic is the NNN BC version, so I'm no help with 75mm sole thickness.
(I know from other thread that at least two have the 75mm.)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 am

stilltryin wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:16 pm
My Transnordic is the NNN BC version, so I'm no help with 75mm sole thickness.
(I know from other thread that at least two have the 75mm.)
Actually that makes your post very interesting (to me). I should have read more closely as you clearly wrote Transnordic BC.
Do you think the XC advantage of the BC bar, equalized the softer striding of the Alaska 75 boot?
Did you break trail on 75 mm and use the same tracks on the BC set up?

stilltryin

Post by stilltryin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:54 am

fisheater wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 am
Do you think the XC advantage of the BC bar, equalized the softer striding of the Alaska 75 boot?
That is certainly a possibility (i.e., consistent with the "data"). Unfortunately (for science), I don't have comparable skis with the different bindings -- hence my "apples and oranges" opening statement.
Did you break trail on 75 mm and use the same tracks on the BC set up?
No.
Day one, I broke the first mile or so; day two, I used day one tracks, but then broke trail the next mile or so -- conditions had not changed appreciably -- except that a moose had used about half of my day 1 track!

I posted this, not to carefully compare the two boots, but to offer some subjective experience on the question of how extreme the XC trade-off might be with the stiff Transnordic. Seems like I saw some posts totally dismissing this boot on that basis (from folks w/o direct experience?). As you suggest, the BC bar might be the way to go with this boot for maximizing the XC approach to the D.

I'm definitely not at the point where I would pull the pins off my Boundless (though it would be a fun experiment). For now, I'm happy with the boot options I have for pins on my wider skis (Alaska, T3, Excursion). For me, getting the Transnordic BC was driven by how comfortable the Fischer BCX5 is for me -- so, I did pull the pins off my GTs -- then wanted a bit heavier boot to help turn them -- then the Transnordic BC showed up. I'm still waiting to try them on some hills. Of course, the GTs will never turn like the X-terrains or others, but I wanted to improve my ability to turn them when desired.

More than you needed to know.
See what happens when you ask follow-up questions! -- and it's below zero.

dave52

Post by dave52 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:45 am

Looks like REI just added these little booties to their site: https://www.rei.com/search?q=fischer+transnordic

BTW REI's return policy is really great, up 1 year if you're a member ($20 once for lifetime membership). I just swapped my Alfa Skarvet's for Alpina Alaska's; after a season on the Alfa's just wasn't that thrilled given the price and felt like I was going to destroy the precious leather in crust, and the Alaska's fit so comfortably right out of the box.

Buy these boots before I'm tempted to ✌

oodoow

Post by oodoow » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:03 am

Can somebody that owns these boots elaborate on sizing? For example comparation with Alaska NNN BC boot, and what is the size of insole for some size of the boot. I would need to order online and would like to hit the right size for the first time. So I would be interested to know length of the insole for 44EU or 45EU. Thank you.

kookDaddy

Post by kookDaddy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:34 pm

I used the Fischer Scan Fit app to get the recommended boot size and it fit perfect. The only issue I had is the app gave me a ridiculous answer for the transnordic nnn bc. When I told the app to size the transnordic 75 mm I got a recommendation that fit perfect for the nnn bc that I ordered.