Current solutions for old snow rough and icy XCD

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Scratch

Re: Current solutions for old snow rough and icy XCD

Post by Scratch » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:10 pm

For the type of ski situation you are talking about I have used the old T3, 2 strap root beer boots with the Madshus Epoch and it has been a comfortable combination. I can kick and glide all day and still handle downhill and crud pretty well.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Current solutions for old snow rough and icy XCD

Post by fisheater » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:21 pm

@DG99
Since you are the OP, and you posted the Xplore video, I will say unequivocally that the Falketind Xplore is far better at XC and D than an S-98 or S-112. I had an S-112, as an XC ski it’s just slow. Everyone talks about how great the scales climb, from the 1rst time I waxed I could have superior climbing with wax. While I admit there were some conditions where the S-bounds could have been superior to the original Falketind 62, (I never skied the S-112 after the FT arrived) I cannot see ever wanting to ski an S-113 over the FT Xplore. I really defy (of course we are only talking about ski preferences) someone to tell me how an S-bound is superior.
Now boots are another question. I own a T-4, I was the first guy here to write about the original FT. However I never bothered to ski it with my T-4. I highly doubt I will ski the new FT with the T-4 either. I do have an Alico Ski March boot, which is quite powerful. I also have a bigger ski that I would break out if conditions warranted. People write well regarding the Transnordic 75, I’m set for boots which brings up an important point. I own an Alaska 75, an Alico Ski March, and a T-4. I would not want to be without any of those boots.
BTW I don’t have an Xplore binding. I find the versatility of the Rotte Super Telemark with cable to be very versatile.
I see wisdom in obtaining a T-4. However if I was purchasing a T-4, I would look at a Voile Objective or Vector or possibly a Kom. Yes, those are all scale skis. I have an 86 mm underfoot waxable ski and it isn’t to big to wax. I probably would give a Vector waxless a shot. My point is,if you’re going to buy a T-4 buy a ski with some torsional rigidity and real edges. If you’re buying a T-4 I think you’re better off with a Voile binding, based upon my experience they are better if plastic is your primary boot.