Restricted range of motion w/ meidjos

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Restricted range of motion w/ meidjos

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:40 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:42 pm
Can you back down the tension on the bindings to get more leverage? (I am not an NTN guy)
Yes, but the tension will ramp up quickly just prior to bottoming out. i think it's just a limitation because of the short length of the springs underfoot and designers aren't that interested in design changes that would change that.

I can see how someone would prefer a set up that allows for knee-to-ski even if they don't use it because it provides a much more linear increase in tension. Meidjo is pretty close.

gprusnica

Post by gprusnica » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:44 pm

Its easy to adjust the spring tension, but thats not really the problem. Here's a maximum range of motion photo for reference.
75mm vs NTN.png
It's just different.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:13 pm

Neither one has the ball of your foot on your ski, which is something I think you should work on. You will need to change your stance by tightening it up, but no need to have to ski more upright. I shoot for the toe of my uphill ski being pretty close to the heel of my downhill ski. Adapting your technique to the gear will benefit you more in the long run than trying to get the gear to match what you have been doing previously.

gprusnica

Post by gprusnica » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:27 pm

I mean, this isn't really an example of normal skiing posture. I'm wearing one ski on flat ground in my living room....more to show the extents of what the gear is capable of.

You're right though, I just need to adapt my form and ski better. It's a change for sure.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:00 am

Lighturn wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:19 pm
I allways wanted to know what's the advantage of having your knee at or close to your ski?

Cheers

Lighturn
For me, the deeper the bend, the greater the stability. Try standing in a bus /tram as it accelerates/decelerates without holding onto any rails... bending the correct knee transfers the forces to keep stability. I try to do this for drills any time I'm a standing passenger.

I take comfort and feel confidence in dicey situations by going deeper... e.g. unexpected bump in flat light.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:42 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:00 am
Lighturn wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:19 pm
I allways wanted to know what's the advantage of having your knee at or close to your ski?

Cheers

Lighturn
For me, the deeper the bend, the greater the stability. Try standing in a bus /tram as it accelerates/decelerates without holding onto any rails... bending the correct knee transfers the forces to keep stability. I try to do this for drills any time I'm a standing passenger.

I take comfort and feel confidence in dicey situations by going deeper... e.g. unexpected bump in flat light.
It does increase stability. But there's a tradeoff. I think it takes more strength and endurance to go lower, rather than staying higher to allow your skeleton to carry the load. And because of the time it takes to drop and come back up, it makes it hard to be quicker. In very bumpy terrain, if you are low as you hit a bump, there's less travel available to absorb than if you're high up. OTOH, though I try to stay high up, I'm not as successful as I'd like to be, and I usually settle into a stance that is lower than I'd like to be. No doubt that's because of the improved stability you describe.