Xplore bindings on larger skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Xplore bindings on larger skis

Post by Stephen » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:08 pm

Tom M wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:39 pm
Stephen wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:29 pm
Tom M wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:53 pm
... This photo is from just a couple of hours ago, skiing the Objectives...
@Tom M, your killing me, man!
:D
@Stephen, just to rub it in a bit more. Flat light, but Julie really enjoyed the flocking on the trees. Dang, this thread now has put a vision of Hyper V6's and Xplores in my head. Hopefully it will go away.
VID_20221213_133209_00_005_2022-12-13_20-28-35_screenshot.jpg
What, with your modest, and well thought out quiver, I thought you might be immune to GAS. :lol:

InTeleVeritas
Ski style: Backcountry telemark
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annum, G3 Findr XCD
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNN, Scott Excursion

Post by InTeleVeritas » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:26 pm

Hi Tom,

That is a really informative take and great picture too. I wish we had those snow conditions here atm.

I have included some comments below:
Tom M wrote:
Most people would probably say it would be foolish to mount the Xplore binding on the Hyper V6. But I have to say, if I needed the float of a v6 and was willing to limit the setup to soft and deep snow (non-resort) downhill skiing, I think it would be fine. It might even be a blast. Just my two cents.
I have the same feeling that it could be a blast especially with the hyper V6. The V6 turns nicely in powder and the hyper made it even lighter. Perhaps the best match in the wider skis for the xplore?
Tom M wrote:
The big advantage of the Xplore system is that it is light and agile. That appeals to me and I know I could make it work. It wouldn't be a one ski quiver, but a special purpose setup. This photo is from just a couple of hours ago, skiing the Objectives/Xplore/Vista/Standard Flexor. I know that the Hyper V6/ Xplore / Free / Hard Flexor would have worked just fine in these conditions.
That kit would be a special purpose setup indeed. The lightest one could go on wider skis I suppose… that could be really exciting :)

If you feel like trying it, I won’t be stopping you for sure lol. And I’m confident others would love to get your impressions too.

All the best,
ITV

InTeleVeritas

Post by InTeleVeritas » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:37 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:22 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:43 pm
to compare, my T4/ultra vector is not enough boot for firm resort conditions.
I was out today on heavy but wornout Merril Ultras on my old vetor bcs with a cable binding. Skied in about 4 inches of powder and they actually skied great, so it depends on the snow.

The advantage of a 75mm binding is being able to go leather or plastic, if your friend didn't make a purchase yet.
Very good point… I don’t believe he’s decided yet.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:48 pm

"I'll leave it at home if the tour is mostly kick and glide as it doesn't track worth beans on the flats. The objective is an alpine downhill ski not an XC ski."

Interesting. I find my Objectives fine for touring, with leathers or Excursions, and that's with the BC model. Good enough that I wish I could spring for a waxable pair (my usual preference is for waxables). Not arguing at all, mind you, just noting.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:06 pm

This is an interesting post. Just to throw another line of thought in here (an admittedly archaic line of thought, just read Vic Bein again…) would heel locators be of any benefit here? Would they be of any benefit steering/control wise in this situation? I’ve never tried them so I don’t know if they’re more of a P.I.T.A than useful or not. Or maybe some kind of “cup’ for the heel to go into that would aid stability.

Forgive me if these have been covered before in other posts.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:31 pm

phoenix wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:48 pm
"I'll leave it at home if the tour is mostly kick and glide as it doesn't track worth beans on the flats. The objective is an alpine downhill ski not an XC ski."

Interesting. I find my Objectives fine for touring, with leathers or Excursions, and that's with the BC model. Good enough that I wish I could spring for a waxable pair (my usual preference is for waxables). Not arguing at all, mind you, just noting.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Objectives and they are just fine on the approach, and for shuffling around in the woods, but for an energetic kick and glide tour, I prefer a ski that returns a little more spring in the kick, a center groove and less side cut. At my age, I could use a little more spring in my step. ;)

InTeleVeritas

Post by InTeleVeritas » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:45 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:06 pm
This is an interesting post. Just to throw another line of thought in here (an admittedly archaic line of thought, just read Vic Bein again…) would heel locators be of any benefit here? Would they be of any benefit steering/control wise in this situation? I’ve never tried them so I don’t know if they’re more of a P.I.T.A than useful or not. Or maybe some kind of “cup’ for the heel to go into that would aid stability.

Forgive me if these have been covered before in other posts.
I used some kind of heel cup on my NNN BC bindings with the standard black flexor in front. I wanted the flexor to provide resistance earlier to help with downhill stability. It worked somewhat. I then ordered the stiffer red flex (it was mentioned in a post somewhere in here) and I didn’t need the heel cup after that.

I think the stiffer flex on the xplore would provide the same benefit.

P.S: Actually it wasn’t a heel cup, more like a layer providing extra elevation on the heel part of the bindings. I have no experience with anything inserted inside the boots.
Last edited by InTeleVeritas on Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:17 pm

"Don't get me wrong, I love my Objectives and they are just fine on the approach, and for shuffling around in the woods, but for an energetic kick and glide tour, I prefer a ski that returns a little more spring in the kick, a center groove and less side cut. At my age, I could use a little more spring in my step. ;)"

Aha, I totally get it, and fully agree. For such tours, I do have something that's a little more xc oriented, and handles well with my leathers.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:23 pm

GO FOR IT! :D
Don't listen to the nay-sayers!
WHY NOT?
Try it and tell us how it is!
If I had a HyperV6 sitting in my shed- I would probably test it with NNNBC and my Alaska BC/Svartisen BC before mounting a 75mm binding. WHY NOT?

And if I had Xplore boots, I would definitely test them on the HyperV6 first, before 75mm.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:44 pm

NVM
Last edited by Inspiredcapers on Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.