New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: New Åsnes Combat NATO 62 BC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:06 pm

Manney wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:06 pm
The more one looks at the Asnes line, the more one sees a merging of lines… product streamlining… marketing by top sheet graphics.

Look at the specs of the Ingstad, Sverdrup, and NATO BC. Same dimensions. Only variations in weight are easily explained by things like a titanal plate (Sverdrup, NATO BC) or shorter length.

Now we have the new NATO Combat, which no longer distinguishes itself with a different incremental length. It would not be terribly surprising to learn that the basic materials and tooling for all three skis is identical. All three are described as having “moderate” (Asnes language) wax pockets too.

Idk anything about PE entering the equation, but things look a lot like product streamlining to me. Not that Asnes’ bloated product line ever made much sense. It’s a small company, the products serve a pretty narrow niche (they’re not Salomon, Madshus, Rossignol, or Fischer and cannot compete equally on these companies’ “scale”). Their catalogs are far “busier” than they need to be.

Just looked at prices of Asnes skis on Canadian web sites. Wow! Now the Canadian dollar is different than ours but the Asnes line is brushing up against full alpine pricing in that market. That’s akin to an Alpina Alaska being within 50 bucks of an alpine boot. That’s absurd to me… almost as if ppl in Asnes think that the pandemic pricing of two years ago set the bar. Which, of course, it didn’t.

The end of a global emergency will see a return to market driven (vice FOMO panic drivien) pricing. Simple supply and demand.

My money goes where the value lies. Any company hoping to fleece me with boutique pricing or mystique mumbo jumbo better start looking for a different guy to sell stuff to, because stepping off of any brand’s boat is easy if you never get hooked on the fanboy bullshit that brands like to create.
Let’s agree to disagree that Sverdrup is quite similar to Ingstad ;) I own both and I have skied both extensively and I have not used the Ingstad much since I biught the Sverdrup. In my backyard conditions the Sverdrup is way more efficient for touring. The camber is more pronounced and stiffer underfoot than the Ingstad. If I had to travel in deep snow for a longer tour I would choose the Ingstad. I think the Sverdrup was designed when Åsnes was still family owned and maybe the new owners want to streamline the production to make it more profitable. But that is an assumption… don’t know when the change in ownership occurred and what is their strategy for the future. But for sure I am happy that I built my quiver in the last few years.

Again, I don’t w@nt to derail the original thread and let’s wait for some actual user review of the new Combat NATO. ;)

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:31 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:06 pm
Manney wrote:
All three are described as having “moderate” (Asnes language) wax pockets too.
Let’s agree to disagree that Sverdrup is quite similar to Ingstad ;) The camber is more pronounced and stiffer underfoot than the Ingstad.
You are correct. @Manney claimed to be quoting Asnes but provided incorrect info. Here is what it says on the Asnes page for the Sverdrup:

"tuned with more prominent camber and wax pocket than most of our other all-around BC skis."

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:39 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Manney on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:43 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Manney on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Ski

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:17 pm

mca80 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:31 pm
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Manney wrote:
All three are described as having “moderate” (Asnes language) wax pockets too.
Let’s agree to disagree that Sverdrup is quite similar to Ingstad ;) The camber is more pronounced and stiffer underfoot than the Ingstad.
You are correct. @Manney claimed to be quoting Asnes but provided incorrect info. Here is what it says on the Asnes page for the Sverdrup:

"tuned with more prominent camber and wax pocket than most of our other all-around BC skis."
Just saying. I don't appreciate to be quoted with just 2 phrases out of my post so that it is taken out of context and used to start a fire. I was just answering to Manney in a very straight forward and not agressive way that the Ingstad and Sverdrup were actually different skis. Not much, not less. I did not want to derail the thread and I dont like the direction it's taking.

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:21 pm

Deleted
Go Ski

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Deleted
Go Ski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:36 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:17 pm
mca80 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:31 pm
Nitram Tocrut wrote:

Just saying. I don't appreciate to be quoted with just 2 phrases out of my post so that it is taken out of context and used to start a fire. I was just answering to Manney in a very straight forward and not agressive way that the Ingstad and Sverdrup were actually different skis. Not much, not less. I did not want to derail the thread and I dont like the direction it's taking.
Lulz, ok. Next time I am inclined to tell you that your assessment is correct per Asnes' own words, I'll just withhold that and let Manney spread disinfo.

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:40 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Manney on Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Ski

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:46 pm

mca80 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:36 pm
Lulz, ok. Next time I am inclined to tell you that your assessment is correct per Asnes' own words, I'll just withhold that and let Manney spread disinfo.
[/quote]

I will quote a Beatle song and simply say : "Let it be"

I have full confidence in the users of this forum to draw their own conclusion from whatever I write

I did not consult Asnes website before posting. I simply said that there is a difference between the camber of the Sverdrup and the Ingstad and how that result in those skis skiing differently. I did not make any measurment but I saw it when I compared both pair of skis and I FELT it when I skied both. I get Manney POV about ski manufacturing but i don't have the time, energy and interest to engage in a discussion. I bought the Sverdrup 2 years ago and the Ingstad 4 years ago. Maybe the way they are manufactured has changed since. Maybe the new owners will tell the shop to do some short cuts and the next batch of Sverdrup and Ingstad will be more similar to the ones I own. I don't know...

And as for skis being different... of course they are. When I bought my MT51 from Norseman in Calgary they asked for my height and weight so that they could choose the best pair of skis for me. If skis are made of wood there as to be some difference because 2 trees are not the same... even different parts of the same trees. The same can be said for what we produce on the farm.. i can't guarantee a customer that all our brocolis will taste the same. They can differ in the same row as the nature of the soil change or that we put more compost in one spot than the other or that they have been exposed to a couple of cold night that changed what they taste.

That is the magic that sometimes can't be explain in a few word... but felt 8-)

Peace and that is my last post on this thread