Argh Can't decide which 75 mm binding for Vectors

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
voilenerd

Re: Argh Can't decide which 75 mm binding for Vectors

Post by voilenerd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:59 am

I’ve got a few Voile skis. Axl, Lynx, Hardwires, and Switchback X2. The hardwires are great bindings however I’ve grown to love the free pivot. So much easier on my lower back and hip flexors. The Lynx by far is my favorite binding. It’s super powerful and extremely light and love the way it makes turns. Power is instant only down side is the sporadic claw issues. The Axl then is my next favorite since I can tune it and change the feel of binding. It’s very powerful, but heavy.

Switchback X2 does everything well and feels more nuetral than the 22 designs bindings. Great binding but seems to ice up a bit more then the Axl when switching to tour mode.

Hope this helps.

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:26 pm

I don't have the Vector but the Objectives that I mounted with SB. I almost always use the ski setting as it offers more resistance than the touring setting. With the ski setting it feels like I can better transfer my energy to the ski for better "glide". Also I have the waxable version and with the ski setting, it is easier to apply weight to the ski so I can climb not too steep hill without skin.
I also rarely use free pivot and very much dislike it for K&G. If breaking a new uphill track, however, it is a leg-saver.

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 am

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 am
They looked far forward to me but they ski great. They feel perfectly balanced especially after skiing the original vector.
I often see skis where I think the binding has been mounted two or more inches back of where it should be. I think this is a "thing" but don't know why.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:45 am

Baaahb wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 am
lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 am
They looked far forward to me but they ski great. They feel perfectly balanced especially after skiing the original vector.
I often see skis where I think the binding has been mounted two or more inches back of where it should be. I think this is a "thing" but don't know why.
It's an old tradition in telemark skiing... mounting aft the recommended spot. I think it is tributary of the cross country legacy — mounting aft for better glide. Maybe there's more to it though. If you intend to do some earn-your-turn, you shouldn't go that way, I think. But... we get use to it. I have a couple skis that I mounted 3 times: fore, middle, and aft. I think I see a difference (not always clear cut). But I manage. I adapt to it. And there is noting wrong with drilling and plugging skis. That's part of the game.

BTW, you were inquiring about inserts, if I remember well. You could easily swap SB, 3 pin HW and Telebulldog on the same ski, depending on the telos... They all share the same 4 holes pattern.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 pm

That's a good point. I took the bulldogs off the ski I'm retiring today (Jak BC). I previously had switchbacks on them. Just one set of holes. I hadn't remembered that.

I think the rearward mounting makes lazy GS turns easier. Not so good for quick turns.

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:16 am

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:50 am
twopass wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:21 pm
Baaahb wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:27 am
that ease of use of a step-in, which is a wonderful feature,

3. Voile Hardwire 3-pin.
Baaahb, 3 pin hrdwr is further away from step-in than you are from the moon.
That's true twopass, but I think Baahb can do it if he loosens his belt and takes a few deep breaths before hand. If he is dizzy after the first boot he just need a little break followed by more deep breaths. It works for me anyway.

Well that ain't gonna' work for me because it ain't lack of oxygen - it's keeping control of my bladder! :o :oops:
Had to spring for those step-in heel throws for my 7tm so I could ski this winter until I get some duck butt gear organized. :roll:
Baaahb, I have Switchback 2's on my Vector BC's.
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

AlaskaNordic
Ski style: Style what style?
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annums
Favorite boots: Alico Double

Post by AlaskaNordic » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:38 pm

So I this year literally just switched from the 3 pin cables to the X2's, game changer, now mind you im on what, I and I think most people would calla much better ski (Annums). So what I lost was weight, the X2's are much heavier, but what I gained was the switch and the free pivot for touring and moveing uphill which is so nice. The X2 also have a higher platform and the two different size risers. Finally the meat, the springs are awesome, the whole set up makes me a bad skier be a better skier.