So I bought a pair of 2022 Fischer Spider 62s for 250$ CAD ($180 USD). I have two questions for you guys.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lhartley

Re: So I bought a pair of 2022 Fischer Spider 62s for 250$ CAD ($180 USD). I have two questions for you guys.

Post by Lhartley » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:25 pm

"Double-cambered skis designed for backcountry/off-track snow must have a softer flex otherwise it can be impossible to effectively engage the wax/traction zone of the ski- you just end up driving the tip and tail downwards without engaging the wax/traction pocket with the snow. For example, even my mellow track touring skis (Atomic Motion) are way too stiff for ungroomed snow. By comparison, my E99s have a full double-camber, but have a wonderful flex for fresh, soft snow- they still require good technique, with an effective kick..."

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 50d265e151

Interesting write up from a few years back

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Re: So I bought a pair of 2022 Fischer Spider 62s for 250$ CAD ($180 USD). I have two questions for you guys.

Post by Manney » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:23 pm

Single, double camber are red herrings. The terms are normative… one man’s camber and a half is another man’s double camber. How high is single camber, double camber? Those definitions or norms don’t exist.

The real issue is the effective spring rate, which is the camber’s resistance to load.
Go Ski

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:10 pm

[quote=Manney post_id=63007 time=1697487824
The real issue is the effective spring rate, which is the camber’s resistance to load.
[/quote]

Why does it matter? I thought the skier was wholly responsible, not the ski.

Manney

Post by Manney » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:15 pm

It matters that the ski is sized correctly *so the skier can do his or her job*. Like, you’re paying for a properly sized ski aren’t you?

If you’re not and select a ski based on what you think its camber might be doing, then you’re responsible for what comes. You’re the skier.

This is why you start with the charts, read some reviews, understand how camber works, have a close look at the skis in person and, finally, get into the skis and see how they respond to your weight. That last part is the most critical. It makes a difference between the ski you think will work and the one that best matches your weight and distribution. Regardless, it’s still all on you… you’re the skier.

If the skis you choose are shy of perfection, stop griping. Adjust weighting, transfer, edging… this is part of learning your skis. It requires patience and practice. This is on you too… you’re the skier.

Selecting and adapting to new skis takes time and engagement. From choosing a properly sized ski to skiing them in a variety of conditions. The skier is wholly responsible.
Go Ski

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:58 pm

Manney wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:23 pm
Single, double camber are red herrings. The terms are normative… one man’s camber and a half is another man’s double camber. How high is single camber, double camber? Those definitions or norms don’t exist.

KSF is a company that is fully embracing this concept atm… and being very up front with regard to offering different weight capacities for the same length ski using tree different camber stiffnesses.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 083#p63081

It’s facilitated by a 230 cm length (7’ 6.5”) which takes the whole issue of “float” right out of the equation. That’s four square feet of surface area by my calculation.
Go Ski

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:39 pm

timpete wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:16 pm
Ha, while I agree with you that generally gear is overrated over ability, some of this is just not true, so wouldn’t want anyone not familiar with groomed track skiing to be fooled. “Slightly slower on the flats”. Have you ever tried skate skiing on a groomed deck on BC skis?
I have skate skied on the groomed deck on BC skis.

However, only two pairs of my BC skis are stiff enough to really do that: the Asnes Gamme, and the Fischer Mountain Cross (similar to today's TransNordic 59).

Skis like the Asnes Ingstad and Sondre, and the Fischer E99 are just too floppy for skating to really work.·

On the flip side, the Ingstad and E99 provide stability in very manky snow, where the Mountain Cross and Sondre would just sink in, and where the Gamme would be quite difficult to turn...

Different tools for different jobs.