Xplore bindings on larger skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DG99

Re: Xplore bindings on larger skis

Post by DG99 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:04 pm

Both the Hypervector and the Objective are touted as a better choice for hardpack, but I would pick my T2 setup for those conditions, not because of the ski, but because I'd have better edge control with a plastic boot and an active binding. I know this won't help those who are struggling with the decision as to which ski to pick, but for soft snow, I don't think it really matters, maybe pick the one with a color scheme that appeals the most.
Here is a screen grab from an upcoming video where I was skiing my Objectives @ 178 on some very light fresh powder. You can see that the skis are buried. The power was light as a feather so I wasn't bogged down at all, but I kept wondering would it would have been like on a wider ski.
Awesome. It does seem like the Xplore would be better paired with the shorter, surfier V6, and the T2s with the UV for tougher skiing. But not a big deal. Looking at the Voile web site recommendations, and also reading between the lines on the reviews etc people seem to agonize over which ski to pick but there is also advice that they are all similar so don’t belabor it.

Definitely I think of a ski as small and narrow as the Objective as a distance ski for ice and corn and mountaineering. Those perspectives have changed a lot over the years no doubt, that used to be fat ski width.

Anyways a positive recommendation on the boots and bindings if they can handle all that ski and snow. If I got another whole BC trail setup the Xplore might be good to better handle all our coral reef around here. :roll: Vs. overkill plastic boots or my underkill floppy 3 pin vinyl and rubber boots.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:04 am

bbense wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:35 pm
When conditions are soft and light , you can ski anything with anything, but the more the mismatch in power between boot, binding and ski the smaller the window of usability gets.
Wise words from a blast from the past. Haven't seen you on the internet in a while bbense. Welcome.

bbense
Ski style: All of them except hucking
Favorite Skis: Voile V8, Blizzard Bonafide, Fischer Boundless
Favorite boots: Pretty much anything made by Scarpa

Post by bbense » Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:22 pm

Just to show that there isn't much new about fat skis and soft boots:

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/Ql4QnQOi

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:38 pm

Fatty skis and leathers are fine for powder, but only powder. Leathers can't edge a hypervector on anything consildated, only surf the pow. But you need a ski like that when it dumped 3 feet overnight. The explore is a similar width to a 75mm binding and has better lateral support, so I don't see why it wouldn't work??
Free pivot bindings are ideal in powder since your tip sinks and the tail rises as you push through. That's why I like having switchback bindings on my hypervector, but the xplore is so much lighter and has a free pivot option.

InTeleVeritas
Ski style: Backcountry telemark
Favorite Skis: Madshus Annum, G3 Findr XCD
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNN, Scott Excursion

Post by InTeleVeritas » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:01 am

Tom M wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:34 pm
InTeleVeritas wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:49 pm
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine wanted to get himself the Xplore + Voile Objective BC kit. He’s 6ft tall for about 200lbs.

Since the longest Objectives at 178cm are a bit short for the float he’d like (we can get a lot of snow up here around les monts valin) he was looking at mounting them on the Ultravector, the V6 or the Kom 174

Has anyone seen these bindings mounted on skis this large? I haven’t found any information so far on the internet and the guys at my local ski shop didn’t know if it had been tried yet.

With one of the stiffer boots like the Alfa or the new Fischer and the stiffer XP flex, it could work in ideal snow conditions I suppose but I’m worried about control when they aren’t so ideal (heavier snow, crust et al)

The kit wouldn’t be for resort skiing nor anything really steep in the backcountry.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/views/ideas
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to do an update to my previous post. I just mounted up a set of Voile Hypervector BC skis with the Xplore binding and had the opportunity to test them out today using the Alfa Free boot on soft snow and they worked great. I picked up the 177 cm length and the total ski weight with the Xplore binding is 6.86 lbs (3.1 kg). By comparison my Objectives @178 with the Xplore come in at 5.92 lbs (2.7 kg). They look huge and are the widest skis I’ve ever owned and 4 cm longer than my Hyper V6’s. Long story short, they ski very much like my Objectives and I had no problems with control. It felt like I was on a surfboard on top of the snow and I know they will be a blast right after a big dump of snow. I think this answers the question that many have asked, if it would be possible to ski a wide long ski with the Xplore in soft snow with the Free boot.
GX010434-00.04.52.292.jpeg
GX010438-00.05.54.206-00.06.08.948-00.00.07.174.jpeg

VID_20230212_123324_00_005_2023-02-12_18-43-16_screenshot.jpg
Thanks for the follow up Tom. I'm really impressed with the results. I have a major case of GAS now. 😀

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:25 am

I'd be very interested in hearing how the Explore/Alfa set up on something like the Hyper Vector, even Objectives, skis in more difficult snow. Does sound like a nice way to go for easy conditions, but to invest in new boots and bindings, I'd want something that would be more versatile.
Around here (Vermont), conditions vary often. We don't always find the snow we're hoping for.
Last edited by phoenix on Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:52 am

phoenix wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:25 am
I'd be very interested in hearing how the Explore/Alfa set up on something like the Hyper Vector, even Objectives, skis in more difficult snow. Does sound like a nice way to go for easy conditions, but to invest in new boots and bindings, I'd want something that would be more versatile.
Around here (Vermont), tconditions vary often. We don't always find the snow we're hoping for.
Which is why I’m still in the 75 mm camp. I can change boots or flip on a cable.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:23 pm

fisheater wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:52 am
phoenix wrote:
Around here (Vermont), tconditions vary often. We don't always find the snow we're hoping for.
Which is why I’m still in the 75 mm camp. I can change boots or flip on a cable.
Yes sir!
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bbense
Ski style: All of them except hucking
Favorite Skis: Voile V8, Blizzard Bonafide, Fischer Boundless
Favorite boots: Pretty much anything made by Scarpa

Post by bbense » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:48 am

phoenix wrote:
Around here (Vermont), conditions vary often. We don't always find the snow we're hoping for.
Just my HO, but putting driving HyperVector with Alfa's is like putting bike tires on your Ferrari. It will work, but only in very specific conditions. You are taking a great all-round vertical BC ski and limiting it to just perfect powder. Alfa/Explore to me seems like a great advancement in XCD gear[1], but if ice or hard wind crust is something you have to deal with I think you'll be much better off on a narrower ski. Skinny skis can still ski powder just fine, especially modern ones with more tip rocker.

[1]- For the price it had better be.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am

bbense wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:48 am
phoenix wrote:
Just my HO, but putting driving HyperVector with Alfa's is like putting bike tires on your Ferrari. It will work, but only in very specific conditions. You are taking a great all-round vertical BC ski and limiting it to just perfect powder. Alfa/Explore to me seems like a great advancement in XCD gear[1], but if ice or hard wind crust is something you have to deal with I think you'll be much better off on a narrower ski. Skinny skis can still ski powder just fine, especially modern ones with more tip rocker.

[1]- For the price it had better be.
+1
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique