Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DG99

Re: Xplore & the advantages of stiff stole for XC

Post by DG99 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:57 pm

Nice. Yeah, I’ve heard some people ditch the bumpers with NNNBC to allow a greater free range of motion for XC use. (Never had NNNBC myself).

Plastic AT or tele boots with a totally free pivot I find are fine for kick and glide, but that stiff sole makes turning super awkward when without any forward resistance. I expect if you had really soft forward flex but with stiff flex lateral and torsional, could work with just the free pivot. Rather handicapped in downhill performance but you wouldn’t have to do transitions, great!

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:53 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:04 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:13 pm
A stiff flexor + stiff sole might have good potential on some DH manoeuvres, like a parallel turn or snowplow turn. Telemark turn? What are your thoughts on this, Johnny, having tried them?
The hard XP flexors just totally suck. They are useless. Just as useless as the red NNNBC flexors. Ok, they do add a tiny bit of resistance, which only translates into a different feeling. But they are light-years away from adding any real performance. They would have to be at least twice as hard to do that. Well, my guess is that this is what they did in the first place. But they knew the consumer wouldn't like it. They knew people would whine and complain about the hard flexors being ridiculously too stiff, like they do all the time, and like they did with NNNBC 20 years ago. Nothing new here.
I tried the hard flexors years ago on NNN BC. Didn’t like them. Maybe that’s because I came from the classic XC side.

I don’t have the foot control to go flexor free. It would destroy my step turns… I’d be a hot mess. The rest would probably be OK though. Soft flexors and practicing may be the way to go for now.
Johnny wrote:
Grace, technique and finesse, not cables, springs and flexors! 8-)
There is something very appealing about this… we have way too much going on between us and our skis.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:12 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:57 am
... Traditionally, XC boots have been associated with flexible soles to enable kicking the ground with the ball of your foot. This has been the gold standard through the norms of 75mm, NNN-bc and NNN.

With Xplore and their stiff soles, this gold standard now seems to be up for question. Are we now to be relying mainly on the flexor to kick the ground?

What is going on? Have we been fooled all along?

Interested to hear your thoughts...
I think ball of foot(BOF) pressure is biomechanically critical to optimize both kick & glide and telemark turning. These techniques are definitional to our type of backcountry skiing.

The problem is that it seems difficult to manufacture a boot sole that is able to deliver easy fore/aft flex and also the vital lateral and torsional stability that all of classic nordic, backcountry and telemark boots respectively need.

For nordic kick & glide, a fore/aft flexible sole allows the BOF pressure needed to compress the double cambered ski, engage the grip wax/fishscales/skin and push forward. Pick up and flex any manufacturer's high end race classic boot compared to their skate boot. The classic boot flexes like a bunny slipper. The skate boot is completely rigid. Trying to classic ski with a skate boot would be miserable as all your body weight in the kick phase would have your up on your tip-toes. I've never danced ballet on pointe (or at all for that matter), but I'm sure it is excruciating.

Similarly, telemark turning is best achieved when the following boot can be pressured by the BOF. That's why the bellows match the biomechanic flex of your feet. Further, a toe bumper or cable resists lifting the BOF off the ski (see "physics" thread(!)), requiring you to weight that ski more so that it arcs and turns. Heck, NTN totally locks your BOF to the ski because it is that important to tele turning.

I'm a bit surprised, incredulous and disappointed that manufacturers have not been able to innovate enough to solve the fore/aft flex vs. lateral/torsional stability challenge - especially on their latest and greatest marketing vehicle, Xplore. Unfortunately, I think they continue to flub the flex on some of the NNN-BC and Xplore boots.
Last edited by Lo-Fi on Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:38 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:12 pm
TheMusher wrote:
... Traditionally, XC boots have been associated with flexible soles to enable kicking the ground with the ball of your foot. This has been the gold standard through the norms of 75mm, NNN-bc and NNN.

With Xplore and their stiff soles, this gold standard now seems to be up for question. Are we now to be relying mainly on the flexor to kick the ground?

I think ball of foot(BOF) pressure is biomechanically critical to optimize both kick & glide and telemark turning. These techniques are definitional to our type of backcountry skiing.

The problem is that it seems difficult to manufacture a boot sole that is able to deliver easy fore/aft flex and also the vital lateral and torsional stability that all of classic nordic, backcountry and telemark boots respectively need.

For nordic kick & glide, a fore/aft flexible sole allows the BOF pressure needed to compress the double cambered ski, engage the grip wax/fishscales/skin and push forward. Pick up and flex any manufacturer's high end race classic boot compared to their skate boot. The classic boot flexes like a bunny slipper. The skate boot is completely rigid. Trying to classic ski with a skate boot would be miserable as all your body weight in the kick phase would have your up on your tip-toes. I've never danced ballet on pointe (or at all for that matter), but I'm sure it is excruciating.

Similarly, telemark turning is best achieved when the following boot can be pressured by the BOF. That's why the bellows match the biomechanic flex of your feet. Further, a toe bumper or cable resists lifting the BOF off the ski (see "physics" thread(!)), requiring you to weight that ski more so that it arcs and turns. Heck, NTN totally locks your BOF to the ski because it is that important to tele turning.

I'm a bit surprised, incredulous and disappointed that manufacturers have not been able to innovate enough to solve the fore/aft flex vs. lateral/torsional stability challenge - especially on their latest and greatest marketing vehicle, Xplore. I think they continue to flub the flex on some of the NNN-BC and Xplore boots.
You would have to think the Alfa free would let you get enough bof on the ski to work, just maybe not comfortable for some. Maybe that's why it didn't score higher for turns on Johnny review.

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:20 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:38 pm

You would have to think the Alfa free would let you get enough bof on the ski to work, just maybe not comfortable for some. Maybe that's why it didn't score higher for turns on Johnny review.
Indeed, I haven't tried the boot. I guess I've been hoping to see something that truly bridges the gap between NNN-BC and Excursion/T4s and am disappointed that Xplore isn't quite there.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:33 pm

I'm interested too. I had a lot of fun skiing leather boots earlier this season, with wide skis, but it's too much on my feet. I need a boot with enough ankle support to take weight off my feet and help get a ski on edge.

That 850 gr. sounds pretty good too.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:38 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:
TheMusher wrote:

I'm a bit surprised, incredulous and disappointed that manufacturers have not been able to innovate enough to solve the fore/aft flex vs. lateral/torsional stability challenge - especially on their latest and greatest marketing vehicle, Xplore. Unfortunately, I think they continue to flub the flex on some of the NNN-BC and Xplore boots.
Right on, buddy!
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:31 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:
TheMusher wrote:

Yes!!!
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:39 pm

Johnny wrote:
GrimSurfer wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:13 pm
A stiff flexor + stiff sole might have good potential on some DH manoeuvres, like a parallel turn or snowplow turn. Telemark turn? What are your thoughts on this, Johnny, having tried them?
The hard XP flexors just totally suck. They are useless. Just as useless as the red NNNBC flexors. Ok, they do add a tiny bit of resistance, which only translates into a different feeling. But they are light-years away from adding any real performance. They would have to be at least twice as hard to do that. Well, my guess is that this is what they did in the first place. But they knew the consumer wouldn't like it. They knew people would whine and complain about the hard flexors being ridiculously too stiff, like they do all the time, and like they did with NNNBC 20 years ago. Nothing new here.

I heard from Asnes and Alfa that Rotte worked a lot on the hard's stiffness. In fact, that is the reason why the hard flexors didn't come out at the same time. They were still working on it. (Deciding I guess?) They obviously ended up picking the softer ones to keep the rich nordic newbies happy... I really hope they will come up with real HARD flexors at some point...
It seems that there are at least two versions of the hard flexor out. I know the original review on utemagasinet.no had a softer version that they preferred for all skiing, but I think that one was white. Mine looks like in Tom's recent video and is very stiff as I described here:
viewtopic.php?t=4085&p=48581#p48581
It almost doesn't compress and makes the sole flex instead, so it increases resistance to flexing the boot significantly. I have unfortunately not tested it properly on a long and steep descent yet, but expect that I will like it from the testing I have done so far. It is far too restrictive though for XC skiing any distance and I'd like a flex in-between the normal and stiff for all-round use as changing the flex is harder than needed and I would only do it when there is a prolonged descent. The normal flex is fine for covering distance on flat terrain and nordic/touring skates.

I too want a boot that bridges more of the gap between my Scarpa TX/Meidjo and NNN-BC/75mm leather boots. The Free looks nice, but I would like it more if it was a bit higher, beefier, warmer, had a proper rubber rand and didn't bear down on the toes. I'd also want an Xplore binding with quick mode change like Voile Switchback.
Last edited by telerat on Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:00 pm

telerat wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:39 pm
I'd also want an Xplore binding with quick mode change like Voile Switchback.
That would be nice!