Sealant/Glue for Bindings... and other mounting secrets.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Re: Sealant/Glue for Bindings... and other mounting secrets.

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:17 am

I’ve used these before, but not on skis. There’s a tendency for a screwdriver to “cam out” and slip when driving these fastener inserts.

The ones with an internal hex (which I have also used) drives more consistently. The walls of these fasteners are much thicker too,
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Post by Capercaillie » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:34 pm

snow-mark wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:21 pm
Did your Asnes skis also have the recommendation for polyurethane? My Ingstads have a sticker saying to only use polyurethane without a solvent. Interesting.
I noticed that sticker too: "Use only Polyurethane one-component, solvent free wood adhesive for binding installation."

This is what I emailed Åsnes:
Capercaillie wrote: I was planning to install Binding Freedom inserts to swap Rottefella XP bindings to/from a spring ski, and to reduce the possibility of ski/binding damage in flight baggage. Binding Freedom recommends a 2-part epoxy for installing the inserts. Is epoxy contra-indicated for any reason?
Here is what they replied:
Åsnes wrote: We recommend using PU glue, because it seals better than many other types of glue, and it is possible to unscrew the binding. Epoxy glue is a strong, good glue, but it makes dismantling the bond difficult.
Inserts shouldn't ever need to be unscrewed, so epoxy away.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:15 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:34 pm
snow-mark wrote:
Did your Asnes skis also have the recommendation for polyurethane? My Ingstads have a sticker saying to only use polyurethane without a solvent. Interesting.
I noticed that sticker too: "Use only Polyurethane one-component, solvent free wood adhesive for binding installation."

Capercaillie wrote: I was planning to install Binding Freedom inserts to swap Rottefella XP bindings to/from a spring ski, and to reduce the possibility of ski/binding damage in flight baggage. Binding Freedom recommends a 2-part epoxy for installing the inserts. Is epoxy contra-indicated for any reason?
Åsnes wrote: We recommend using PU glue, because it seals better than many other types of glue, and it is possible to unscrew the binding. Epoxy glue is a strong, good glue, but it makes dismantling the bond difficult.
Makes sense.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:40 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:15 pm
Capercaillie wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:34 pm
snow-mark wrote:

Makes sense.
However, it has been posted here to mildly heat the metal part epoxied in the ski, which one wishes to remove from the ski (for example), which will soften the epoxy, and allow for easy removal.
(It takes a few tries to figure out how long to heat -- if you see smoke, that is of course too hot!) :lol:

I have done this myself on dozens of inserts using a small soldering iron for a few seconds each piece.
With Meidjo having 26 screws / inserts, I don't feel like leaving behind $50 worth of inserts if I sell a ski.
(I then fill the holes with epoxy.)
Have I said I love epoxy?

If I was a manufacturer (Asnes), I would make a recommendation and stick to it.
Once you say something different, you lose control of the situation.

However, I was impressed when I contacted Voile about inserts in their Hyper Skis, and was given an official version of why that voided the warrant, and then further, unofficial comments about actually doing it.
Last edited by Stephen on Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Post by Capercaillie » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:18 pm

Stephen wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:40 pm
However, I was impressed when I contacted Voile about inserts in their Hyper Skis, and was given an official version of why that voided the warrant
Why does it void their warranty? Voile doesn't want you mounting inserts, doesn't want you mounting telemark bindings. There seem to be a lot of normal things people do to skis that void Voile's warranty.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:32 pm

Others may know more than I do, but it has to do with the difference between their Ultra and Hyper series of skis.
Without checking right now, as I remember, the Ultra skis do not have the inserts limitation relative to warranty.
The Hyper skis are a lighter construction (less dense wood for core) and will not hold fasteners as well.

As it was explained to me, they had problems with pullout and so came up with the limitation.
Lots of inserts are installed DIY and install quality can't be controlled.
If the insert goes in crooked they can pull out easier.
If water gets in the core, they can pull out easier.

It seems the Ultra skis tolerate this better, or at least have fewer pullout problems.