V6 on firm

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
DG99

Re: V6 on firm

Post by DG99 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:11 pm

jalp wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:21 pm
[Garmont Excursions. Voile V6 BC 173cm, Switchback X2.
Those boots do sound a bit low and soft for really good edging on hardpack with V6s. You might get some T2s!

I’ve got Ultravectors with AT and Vector BC with T2s, seem fine on icy snow, though not the best compared to full on downhill gear. So the V6 should be OK with T2s. I know the V6 are a little more rockered so shorter contact, more soft snow oriented, though.

I had some wide Voile Chargers 112 waist, some years back, pretty fun. And worked well in all kinds of conditions with T2s. I sold them to a friend who uses T3s or T4s (not sure which) and he found the Chargers downright frightening on hardpack. Couldn’t get an edge. I ended up giving him his money back! So anyways it made me think the boots were the big difference……

jalp

Re: V6 on firm

Post by jalp » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:29 pm

DG99 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:11 pm
jalp wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:21 pm
[Garmont Excursions. Voile V6 BC 173cm, Switchback X2.
Those boots do sound a bit low and soft for really good edging on hardpack with V6s. You might get some T2s!

I’ve got Ultravectors with AT and Vector BC with T2s, seem fine on icy snow, though not the best compared to full on downhill gear. So the V6 should be OK with T2s. I know the V6 are a little more rockered so shorter contact, more soft snow oriented, though.

I had some wide Voile Chargers 112 waist, some years back, pretty fun. And worked well in all kinds of conditions with T2s. I sold them to a friend who uses T3s or T4s (not sure which) and he found the Chargers downright frightening on hardpack. Couldn’t get an edge. I ended up giving him his money back! So anyways it made me think the boots were the big difference……
Yup, I'm arriving at pretty much the same conclusion. I realize now, that I'm not going to be able to uncover the rest of the flaws in my technique until I take the soft boots out of the equation. I've probably been too stubborn about sticking with the Excursions in all conditions.

Currently working out a few fit issues with a pair of Crispi CXP, and thinking that they should be of similar power to a T2 (3 buckle and power strap). I'll give them a try this weekend if I get the toe pinch thing sorted out.

We are heading into a significant storm cycle this week in my area. It may be a while till I find any hard pack again. This is definitely not a complaint.