Rabb 68- NNNBC, 75mm-3pin, or Xplore?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: Rabb 68- NNNBC, 75mm-3pin, or Xplore?

Post by jyw5 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:29 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:02 pm
DG99 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:18 pm
I’m not sure that NNN-BC or Xplore boots would have enough rigidity to really work that ski….
Maybe if you just wanted light, floaty, gentle turns in nice conditions.
Well- here's the thing-

My local backcountry skiing is on the edge hemiboreal forest wilderness- with elevations ranging from 100m to 800m.
The forest is VERY dense- skiing through the forest is limited to relatively closed-canopy older forest stands.
The landscape is disected with endless forest trails and woods roads.
Glade skiing through open hardwood forest is incredible.
Skiing through closed-canopy conifer stands- with open understories- is pretty sweet too.

When the snow conditions are ideal- BC downhill skiing in the woods is superb!
But when the snow conditions are not ideal- BC downhill skiing in the woods is not superb- and can be downright sketchy to dangerous.

When the snow conditions are not ideal I tend to stick to trails-woods roads and/or gentle lines through the forest.
When the snow conditions are ideal- I point my skis down and charge!

We got a lot of snowfall- so conditions are often ideal.
And when they are ideal I would not need my T4 on this ski.
as you described above, NNN-BC works just fine. no need to spend so much more on the newer Alfa Free.

I have the 1st gen FT62 with NNN BC + Alfa Guard adv. I used to ski laps of 400-500m in good conditions slope nornally for AT skiiers and riders. I paired them with 60mm or 62mm Pomoca full length skins with tip attachments compatible with the notch

Would be great to upgrade to a stiffer ski...wonder if the new FT or 68s are significantly stiffer

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:19 am

The new FT X is significantly stiffer. It is significantly more versatile. It will not be as surfy in soft powder, but it is far more versatile, it has kick and glide on consolidated snow, it is supportive in deep snow. It turns quite well, but being fully supported you are planing, not sinking and slowing

Edit, I either had pretty good snow, or no snow last season. So while I skied the FT X through several layers of wind buff, and some heavier melting, previous day powder. I never skied it through really difficult snow. I am sure it is significantly better than the original version. However it isn’t an alpine ski with a metal layer either.
I really believe Asnes really threaded the needle with this ski. I sold my original and my S-112 pretty soon after I started skiing the FT X. I knew I would never ski either again

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Post by JohnSKepler » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:39 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 am
I also think that Xplore would be perfect on this ski...
And the switch from NNNBC to Xplore binding mount is very straightforward...
Could you elaborate on this? I have a pair of Rossi BC80 with NNNBC and I'm never going to ski with either of those pairs of boots, that I own, again. However, I do have an extra Xplore binding. They're so cheap from Varuste that I ordered two when I ordered them for my wives Asnes Liv. There are some conditions where the BC80 would be superior to either my Gamme or FT62. Ultimately hope to replace it with a Nansen or similar, but I do own it right now so why not use it with my Alaska XP or Free?
Veni, Vidi, Viski

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:10 pm

What conclusion did you draw here @lilcliffy?

I have a pair of Rabbs ready to be mounted in my garage, and can’t decide whether to convert to xplore (likely for Fischer /Lundbags /Alpina boots) or go with Rottefella 75 with cable..

On that note, I’ve fallen victim to the preaches of @fisheater - finally test drove Rotte 75s on a pair of Amundsen this week, they are indeed a step up from voile..

Curious to hear your considerations..

Charlynor
Ski style: Back country
Favorite Skis: Åsnes gamme lookinf forward to test Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina alaska NNNBC

Post by Charlynor » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:42 am

Yes what happened?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:53 pm

Mounted Xplore on my 180 Rabb 68- superb match- very pleased.
Using this as a downhill-focused touring ski on soft snow.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.