Breaking in new leather boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
dropkneesnotbombs

Re: Breaking in new leather boots

Post by dropkneesnotbombs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:53 am

fisheater wrote:My boots came with a felt insole, putting that in seemed to take care of the volume problem. I was planning on skiing them before inserting those insoles, but your post had me nix that idea. I didn't want to give the leather a chance to start breaking wrong.
My boots did come with the felt insoles, but I think I took them out before skiing with them. I have a pretty high volume foot, so thought (mistakenly it seems) that I wouldn't need to have them in there. I'll try putting the insoles in and seeing if that improves the fit.

fisheater wrote:As for my boot comfort, I have about nine miles of walking, double timing, and some short runs on my Ski Marches. My dog likes to move, and our walks are to get her exercise so I accommodate her, as best as I am able. So far my boots seem to fit. Thank you for posting. I hope you resolve your problem, and by posting you may have helped others be aware of the potential pitfalls of leather.
Sounds like you have broken your boots in much more than I have! I walked around the house with them a bit before my little tour, but not nearly what you've done. Hopefully your boots treat you better on your first excursion out than mine have, though I'm hoping with all this great advice I can salvage them somewhat.

lilcliffy wrote:Previous discussion on treatment of leather boots:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=781&p=8845&hilit=leather+treatment#p8845
That thread is what convinced me to get some of the Hydrobloc stuff. I have Zamberlan hiking boots as well, so figure I can't go wrong with it. And I'm always nervous about what leather treatment does to waterproof-breathable liners, so knowing the water-based stuff works well with liners is great news.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:36 pm

MikeK wrote:Heel lift is not the end of the world. It's only an issue when it causes blistering. I get a little heel lift in some of my boots, but it's never caused an issue. If it does, try putting a pad right underneath the heel to bring your instep up a little higher. Good luck!
I Does anyone use liner socks anymore? Friction is your enemy. Thin sock liners in conjuction with your regular boot socks can be your friend. I confess that I only use the liners with my leathers (Asolo Snowpine), as my Crispi T3s have the boot liner and don't get raw heels with them.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:11 pm

1EyedJack wrote:
MikeK wrote:Heel lift is not the end of the world. It's only an issue when it causes blistering. I get a little heel lift in some of my boots, but it's never caused an issue. If it does, try putting a pad right underneath the heel to bring your instep up a little higher. Good luck!
I Does anyone use liner socks anymore? Friction is your enemy. Thin sock liners in conjuction with your regular boot socks can be your friend. I confess that I only use the liners with my leathers (Asolo Snowpine), as my Crispi T3s have the boot liner and don't get raw heels with them.
I use them with and without regular socks (smartwool). I'm talkin' bout the really thin, slippery ones that I think you are talking about.

I don't have much blister issues anymore, but I bought them when I did. Now I just use them as shims. Seems to be about the change I see from new boot to broken-in boot.

I'll also used to use them with plastic boots as my only sock.

anemic

Post by anemic » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:43 pm

That's a bummer dropknees. I had a pair of Salomon classic race boots that did this to me on the right foot, not the left. They were the same size as the previous three pairs, top of the line. I switched to Alpina classic race boots which fit like slippers and that alleviated the problem. I wonder if simply another pair of the same boots would provide a different outcome.
Call it Nordic Freeride

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:22 pm

One more thought - in addition to the boot stretchers, you might also try hammering a round stone into the place you want to blow out. I have a collection of smooth, round ocean rocks for this. Agree on using softening products first. Get a stone that's slightly too large for the pinch point and force it into place for a couple days. Use a piece of wood or something else to hold it in place.

I know heat is the enemy of leather, but I got the best penetration of the beeswax/oil treatment when I put the boots into my garage on a hot summer day, it was probably 110 or 120 out there. The Bearguard soaked in extremely well and lasted longer.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Krakus
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard, Fischer BCX675

Post by Krakus » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:39 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:51 pm
For complete saturation you need to get the weather thoroughly wet. When the leather is wet- the water-based treatment will penetrate deeply into the leather and condition it. High-end leather backpacking boots are treated like this in the factory.
I wrap my leather boots in wet towels for hours in a utility sink- then apply copious amounts of treatment to all of the leather in the boot. (You will be shocked as to how much more absorption you will get than when the leather is dry).
Gareth, would you treat brand new Alfa Guards the same way?