"The Bleeding Edge" of boot progress...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anrothar

Re: "The Bleeding Edge" of boot progress...

Post by anrothar » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:32 pm

anemic wrote:Again I love what you've done. You are the Hoji of tele! I might pooch some old shells and give'r a go with a hot knife. How do we affix the lace cleats ? I admire simple design.

Do you ski with a gaiter overboot?
Glue in waterproof fabric. Cyanoacrylate is the best glue for Pebax. Without the fabric added, snow definitely accumulates to the point of getting annoying after 4 hours or so.

Use a hole saw to drill out the metatarsal area, and make sure the bottom of the drill out is 1/2"/12mm up from the footbed, so that you have some material to glue the fabric to. I remove the rest with metal snips and hand saws, clean up with files and scrapers.

The lace cleats(lace hooks) can be bought on amazon. The ones I used attach with rivets, which were a pain to hammer into place. In the future, I would probably use screw posts with loctite.
Last edited by anrothar on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:43 am

Thank you for sharing anrothar! You are a great inspiration for all of us!

nebcskier

Post by nebcskier » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 am

I have some old Scarpa Lazer AT boots. Never even considered they could be converted to some Teleboots via a DYI project. Hmmm!!! You all got me thinking.
image1.jpeg

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:58 pm

nebcskier wrote:I have some old Scarpa Lazer AT boots. Never even considered they could be converted to some Teleboots via a DYI project. Hmmm!!! You all got me thinking.

Just be aware that if you're going to use them for turns your going to want to buy or make a TTS system.

merak

Post by merak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:51 am

anrothar wrote:...
Impressive!

Can you carve a duckbill out of a normal AT boot? Is it possible? How did you fit those into the the 3 pin?
Last edited by merak on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

merak

Post by merak » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:54 am

The irony is that I bought Scarpa T4 with the intention to wipe the duckbill off and use them as regular AT boots. Then came the idea of buying that cheap Voile 3 pin to see how it goes. From there it was the start of a madness :lol:

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm not using them with 3 pin, merak. I'm using just the AT toe pieces.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Late to the Party i know but....

Any updates on the major boot hacking?

How are they holding up? Do they work as hoped?

i was thinking about doing something similar for some Extreme xcd here in scenic central NH.

Cheers