Fischer steel light wax ski 47-44-46

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anrothar

Re: Fischer steel light wax ski 47-44-46

Post by anrothar » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:04 pm

HBS wrote:I stand corrected!

The downhills in those first two videos remind me of triathletes on bikes - obviously very strong on the uphill but give them anything twisty on the down and watch the carnage. When I raced road bikes we called them "try-athletes".

The mountain bike version of that are called "dirt roadies", fit as hell, no technical skills.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks for the education, It makes sense that they were on skimo gear. I don't think it's for me, I have a general rule to not get involved in sports that require a spandex suit.

If I were to get geared up for crust skiing with turning capability I would look at combi boots paired with the steel light or one of the bigger skis in this class. I would also consider the skimo skis. But since the steel lights are pretty much unavailable here and the skimo skis are expensive I would look for a short narrow metal edged used ski. It might not be the lightest possible set up but a small ski will be light enough for recreational skiing.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Play It Again on Spenard often has used Pellestovas, Voss' and Atomic Mountain BC in waxable versions. All excellent for crust skiing, great on groomed trails or snowmachine trails and would work well enough with a sturdy combi boot. They're all right around 60mm tip with a little bit of sidecut. The Mountain BC is pretty light, it had Atomic's 'Densolite' core.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:17 pm

I'd second the Voss - it's cheap, it has a very forgiving flex, 3/4 edges (which are nice for the reasons above) and it skates well. The others I have no experience with, but probably great if they have similar features.