Big Toe Arthritis- Anyone Tele with a bone fusion

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Big Toe Arthritis- Anyone Tele with a bone fusion

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Hhowden wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:04 pm
joeatomictoad wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:33 pm
My big toe joint started an arthritic process started from an injury about 20 years ago, which was not properly treated. Fortunately, pain only experienced nowadays with flexion of the joint. Telemark turn puts the joint into extension, and I am lucky enough that haven't experienced pain in this motion.

Long story short, in not properly tending to the injury, I will be suffering the consequences for the remainder of my days.
Foot.jpg
This is great advice! I am a physical therapist assistant and my wife is a doctor of physical therapy. Toe yoga and trying to move your big toe while not moving small toes and vice versa (move just small toes together while leaving big toe stable) As well as toe crunches

Somebody get this guy on retainer for Forum Members!

Will you travel?

Hhowden

Post by Hhowden » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:16 pm

[/quote]

Somebody get this guy on retainer for Forum Members!

Will you travel?
[/quote]

Ha! possibly. Just glad to help out when/where I can.

Disclaimer- all advice is personal opinion/educational and not a substitute for in-person medical advice

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:57 pm

@Hhowden
Somehow had missed your response last year. Many thanks for the advice. Will try it out.

RobbieBob

Post by RobbieBob » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:53 pm

Oh boy, this is a very hot topic for me, too! So glad to have found this thread!

I am struggling to decide which direction to go regarding Toe Fusion/Tele/Chielectomy/AT/Xplore, etc.

I'm 66 and have been backcountry skiing since the 80's. I love tele and at one time skied a lot of challenging terrain. An old left toe injury (I ran a chain saw across it in my 20's) has been rearing it's ugly head the last few years. It's quite painful after a day in the backcountry, though I still go out. I have a bone spur, no cartilage, but some limited movement. I'm also a building contractor so I'm on it quite a bit, and active. My Ortho doc recommends fusion at some point, though I may just get the Chielectomy and cortisone for the mean time.

The idea of giving up tele is distressing, but I'm looking into AT, and may not have a choice. I'm currently skiing Garmont Excursions. I got excited this winter learning about the Xplore system (many thanks to Tom M and Johnny,) but I'm not sure that will help me out at all.

The tele turn is not so much the problem, but pushing off that toe in kick and glide and climbing mode. It seems the Xplore binding is more free pivot that 75mm and may alleviate that. AT would eliminate that, of course, but I love the experience of skiing a patterned ski and just going anywhere up or down without having to stop and put on skins.

Anyway, that's my long story and any advice is greatly appreciated.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:45 pm

My wife had a Lisfranc fracture about four years ago. Lisfranc was Napoleon's surgeon, his cavalry men got this fracture when they fell forward off horses but a foot stayed in the stirrup. The USAF surgeon who operated on my wife had one himself, mountain biking- his foot slipped off the pedal when it was in the down position and it jammed his foot forward. My wife did it in a white out descent into a gully did not see the upside and skis went straight into the snow and she went forward bending her feet, it broke three bones on top. She got three screws. Not sure she would ski again. Well she did not miss a ski season (except one year for Covid times). Her foot is a different shape, she got new boots (and the Xplore) and is good now. She was in her early 60s when that happened. I can not think of a worse fracture for telemark than that. You should be OK. Good luck!
Here is a gross video clip- https://www.atlanticortho.com/lisfranc-fracture/
That's her last week-
20230221_145732.jpg

RobbieBob

Post by RobbieBob » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:34 pm

Thanks randoskier! That's encouraging, and I hope your wife's recovery continues. I am thinking to move to Xplore as well. I'm hoping the boots and all will be more available (and cheaper!) by next fall! I'll keep checking this thread for feedback. All the best.