Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:26 am

First time in decades of BC skiing that happened. Been there a few days before but was well aware and cautious. Bout a 1o foot difference where i followed and it made a huge difference. Any way there is about 4-6 inches of hard stuff out there and I will get a handle on it soon. Would love to get a hollow stump fire going but will see. TM

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:58 am

Capercaillie wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:56 pm
greatgt wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:05 am
Was behind before I went in with the Boys as witnesses. Following their tracks onto Dead Moose Pond wasn't thinking about much and enjoying the ski when i heard and felt the first tremors from the ice. Tried to elongate and engage the double camber but cracking disappeared and in i went. lucky it was about waist deep in the slime and constantly sinking of long skis into the silt of black nothingness. reached over to the brush and stopped the sinking and yelled to the watching boys that they would be needed to extricate as the skis were under the ice. They got the pin unclicked on both and they hauled me in.
This is my biggest skiing fear, and why I think automatic system bindings (anything where you have to press down a button to release the ski) are unsafe for backcountry skiing.
This is also the biggest argument against and kind of locked in pole straps, which are quite popular for classic XC skiing. They’re harder to get out of, which can become a problem in trees or if falling through ice etc.

Simple hand loops are safer. A shake of the wrist is enough to doff a pole.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:44 am

Followed Telerock's example years ago ad got rid of straps. With big baskets and the grability of them, straps begone! TM

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:22 am

The Black Diamond Traverse Pro adjustable poles have the best designed pole grips I've encountered. They have a safety release strap system that really works. It has released on tele wipeouts and is fast and easy to put back in place.The thing that takes these grips over the top is that fact that you can adjust the straps for thin gloves all the way to thick choppers without taking your glove or mitten off.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:35 am

Tough conditions out there. 3-5 inches of crushable crust and rock hard at the same time. Reduced to survival skiing. Good news was the ice on trees and the Sun lighting it all up. Crystal Palace and wicked quiet out there. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:32 pm

Decent powder out in the gonz. Enjoyed watching the Boys do the deed. They took off for a decent on a switchback fairly steep trail. I took the trail less traveled by and did some easy laid back tele on the side of a ridge. Really open Hardwood skiing. man did the guys get a raging fire going on a hollow stump @ 10 feet high. Watched it crash in a fiery world of sparks and orange in a world of white. Easy ski out and a fine way to end a weekend. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:54 am

@ 20 inches everywhere with two feet in the flats. very grey out there on Hardwood ridges but the snow was very good. Almost bottomless with a touch of crust way down somewhere. Hit a knob called Tele-Knob and did the easy section and had a blast. The old 109's came around well but were to short, needed a longer ski for better balance. Will take care of that today, Try to hook up with Teleking today and see if I can get some powder explosion pictures. Gotta get somebody to show me how to put pictures up, Skiing is good with a mixed bag of stuff coming. That should end base worries for the rest of the year and nothing but powder in my mind. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:28 am

Headed into Grey World and started slipping pretty quick. Bout an inch of wicked powder on a decent base. Everything is rounded and waiting for tracks and Teleking, Telekid have been out there. (Arc's don't lie) Had Rebound on for the easy up but that didn't work! Slippery as hell in the up track. Initial test was sinking in fairly deep. First shot down the Rebounds floated up and shocked me with the speed. I mean these are bones! Fast powder and you could turn anywhere while avoiding those waiting Hardwoods. Best turn was at the bottom as the skis were ripping and trees were close by. Lucky for me the skis did their thing beautifully and I had the best turns of the year. Got another shot of @ 6 inches. Will find out today how much better it is with now deep powder skiing. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:21 pm

Man! needed a large ski for all that powder. Went with short 109's. Big mistake. Took off and dropped in deep and stopped. Even on the steep section it was difficult. just got out my Old Fischer Boundless out and will use them next. Teleking was in the same boat with longer and wider skis. he too had some difficulty until he sat back and rode the skis laid back and those suckers rose up and he nailed it. NICE! TM

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:50 pm

@greatgt Please check your Inbox for a PM. Would love to get together with the KTBs for turns on Little Mt.