Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:03 am

looking good for snow, yay! Rock I have everything I need up in the Highlands and when the snow is deep Little Mountain has some of the best Hardwood skiing anywhere. So, no go. Will hit what gets the mostest!!!!! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:17 pm

Sunday a couple of miles and a stop at TK1 (telecamp). Skiing is sketchy with potential to hit anything on the forest floor. gotta run those skis flat and initiate with almost no edging. Zowie! Today hit a main line logging road from a couple years back. Wide open, kinda like a beginner trail at a ski area. Did not worry about hitting or scratching under the skis until it did! Face shot! other than that a fun easy cruise with soft powder that if you edge can get ugly quick. Saw teleking up in the Highlands and we talked conditions and how easy it was to smack something down under. Will see what this new storm brings but fast lite powder won't be it. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:05 am

Bare ground, sometimes hardpack as a base. 6-8 inches of powder with a decent crust on top. Breaking in about two inches on the up on Little Mountain. Got to "camp" started a fire and had a good day making the dirt floor warm and the rest of the place decent. Telekid showed us how to ski crust while we, we drank beer, told jokes. Skiing out and down was a challenge but everybody did it their way and we ended up at "Boots" place who started a fire and we did hot and sweet sausages with mustard. Not half bad. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:20 pm

Kinda cold out there, @ 10o. 10 inches of lite powder everywhere and a foot in many places. Snow and forest had a blue tint to it and all trees and branches were a white wonder world. Total silence and nothing but the hiss of the snow and ski. Turns were easy to come by didn't need much speed to have a blast. Wool sufficed for clothing and everything felt fine. Arc on! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:35 pm

Wicked wonderful powder. @ 10o couldn't believe how fast it was. Turn in a dime or run them in long C type turns. The 109's worked to perfection. With skins they went up easily and with a bit of green cruised well. Wagh! The powder! Double camber is so good. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:02 am

Bout 5 miles yesterday with Telekid and Teleking. Followed some tracks out to a place pretty much untouched by man. beautiful hardwood runs descended out of sight to a road a thousand or more below. Soon as the snow gets back to powder (Rain forecast) we will do itttttttt. Mostly CC yesterday with some turns for the other two at the end of the cruise around a high wetland in the Highlands. Saw Cat tracks as well as Moose, Coyote and all kinds of other tracks. Taking a rest today and will crank it up as soon as the rain disappears. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:56 am

Good turns with the snow consolidating fast. 12 inches plus to @ six. Made for easy and fast rounded turns on Teleknob. (easy access) that can be used for anything from easy to steep. Good place to help conditioning and have some fun turns. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:23 pm

Couple more inches, so I got my light leathers and the old model e109's. 78-60-70 they are beat, and I keep right on beating them up, cause, they ski wicked in many conditions. Wish they were longer, but you take what you get at roadside sales. (178) First impression was things had gotten faster since yesterday. With last year's wax somewhat scraped off by the edges of the skis they got faster. Slipped a few times on the up but who wants to remove skis, remove pack, scrape skis, apply wax then get ready all over again. Slip on! But the up track after cruising a while was pretty easy. Really didn't have any high expectations that this day would be different from the good to great conditions we have had. It was better! Bout 6-8 inches of fast powder and the skis loved it. Headed down and had exquisite dy-no-mite laid back turns. Didn't do a thing as the skis sliced and floated down in dream powder. And I, I just sat back and let them do what they do. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:16 pm

Headed in, bout fifteen feet, turned around crossed the road and scored some flat skiing in an old track. Verticals =, none! Workout some. breakable crush mush and side gripping ice left me in the flats and happy to be there. Wonder what the boys want to do tomorrow. Hope it's low angle for this oldie. Best thinger, the forest, light dark and very quiet. TM

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:01 pm

'Bout the same over this way. Nordic trails were groomed, smooth, and the granular was nice and fast. Got to where I head up for a nice little glade run, found that crust really quick. Traversed up just to try a few turns; didn't go well; the old survival stem
was not pretty, but managed a few turns. Barely. Got a little better lower down the mountain.