Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:33 am

Man what a World cup!. Missed doing Telemark because of it. Will check out the Highlands today and see if Telekid was right. More than a foot of decent snow with powder on top. Teleking skied up there and said there was @ 16 inches. Will see! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:52 am

They were right! @ 16 inches, 24o, quiet, Used some single camber skis from the past and they were lacking in two of three categories. Cruising=slow Up weak, even with good wax. down decent. Will see what a 205 or a 215 99 will do tomorrow if I have a car. Wish the older 109's were longer as they could slice this stuff without hitting bottom. 78-60-70 for oldies. New ones are 82-60-70. After seeing the dimensions will use as of now the 215 99's. See what those do. Will hit a different area tomorrow up near Teleknob and set a track to an easy and fairly whip free zone. Decent drops and easy run out. Repeat!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:46 pm

If I ever make it to the Kingdom, I’ll let you try my FT X. They’re 196 cm, you will forget about those E-109’s!
Not casting any disrespect at your favorite skis, please don’t take offense.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:56 pm

Well! headed out today with something I haven't skied on in many years. 215 e 99 europa and they did the deed wicked. Just a few decent turns and lots of CC skiing. Workout! lots of different tracks (animal) up in the Highlands and the color was grey of various hues. Teleking laid a good track and was right on in his reckoning. Next step is to hit the Knob tops up there and get a bunch of turns. Other side of the road has had some decent turns and we have base! Fish 109's are good for what they do. Looking for a new set of skis but they need double camber at least in 200 range. really like Fischer skis and will check out dimensions. If you come here we have some really good hardwood skiing. little Mountain has some of the best naturally open hardwood skiing with lots of steep. Others have been following our tracks and getting some of the goods but there is so much. Vortex is quite steep and tight. Telekids Favorite and in the past one of mine and Telekings also. Where I was today is great CC but there is wonderful terrain for turns. TM

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:44 pm

Hope I get to get out and play with you boys sometimes; I'm not far away, and have my senior old timer card. Remember one of your posse coming in to Mountain Sports and Bikes when I manned the bench there, looking fondly at the rebounds. Kingdom Tele logo on the old 'Yota and all. Keep yer tips up!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:04 am

Thanks Phoenix. Today will take the 99's for some turns on a little knob @ a mile out. Nice drops and runout. Easy way to get into the feel of Telemark. Will see how the 215's do in tighter (but open) trees. Currently we have about 16 inches of heavy on the bottom and powder on top. Skis need decent slope to get going and stay going. Figure this is a good time to re connect with those skis. Sounds like Friday into Saturday will be horrible with lots of wind and rain. If the weather people are on their game, then Sunday will be "different". Phoenix we as in the Kingdom Tele Boys usually get together on Sundays and we all ski different slopes on the weekdays. Wait for really good conditions and I think you will have a blast in the hills and knobs of the Kingdom. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:50 pm

Blue sky! Ton of sun! Faster powder and the 99's surfatized and ran fast as the 16 inches is consolidating nicely. Teleking and a friend from the local village hit an old skidder trail from many years ago and had wonderful powder shots. I hit some easy hardwood openings and had a blast in untouched wide open hardwood skiing. About 22o and a beautiful blanket of snow, Shadows, with trees casting a light show with the crowns low because of the environment up there. Ice shooting shots of light off the encased branches and the crowns made for a magical place. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:18 am

last time up here there was 16 inches about everywhere. Big rainstorm and I figured there would be nothing left. 14 inches of heavy powder toward the bottom and lite turning powder on top. In the teens and quiet up in the Highlands. North side of Dead Moose Pond many fresh Moose tracks and they were clearing out maple twigs everywhere. Thanks! Mile and a half out and up found Telecamp in decent shape and soon had the "Fireplace" and small wood stove raging. Later Bacon cheeseburgers with a couple of beers to wash it all down. Teleking had some Rossi BC 90's while telekid had some old 189 Rebounds. Telewood had all newer type gear. I took the rockered 109's wax able on their last ride. When going down into sharp drops the rockered tips kinda slowed the skis and they tend to want to slip on the up because of tail rocker. Teleking is next up for those skis as I will be looking for something different. In powder they perform well on the down. Ski out was keeping in the narrow up trail with a dabbling of nice turns. Good workout! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:44 pm

Grey color and 22o made for quiet uphill breaking. About 15 inches of powder with a small crust down about six inches. Today was a short workout and breaking a small knob in the Highlands. Scored a few decent turns. Telekid was on another Range this morning and said his 110 Rossies skied on top and the crust over there was not a factor. Here we are about to get some rain and 40's. Not good! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:05 am

Saw the Sun yesterday and it made for some decent skiing. @ 20o near to 15 inches with plenty of density so turning was sorta easy. The little crust was about 5 inches down so not a problem most of the time. Snow looked rounded and enticing. Set a trail up to a knob with more Moose Tracks than we have seen in a decade. Ran into Teleking at the end of my ski and he headed up into the ridges of the highlands and put some distance on his Rossies. Figure when this warm up finishes up things will be different. Hope for the better but will be prepared for crust. TM