Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 am

Still 4 inches on crushable boiler, made for fast skiing. Finishing up Covid and scored a decent ski out and back from TK1. (tele camp one) Boys hit the upper section and had seriously fast turns with flying powder. Heading out I headed as the boys hit the top for another bout with fast turns. Figured I'd be long gone before they got to where the cars were parked. Telekid worried me a bit as he was using a new set of E 99's and they are wicked fast. Got to the car, threw in the skis and poles and was just starting to head out when Telekid appeared. Damn, he was seriously fast!. Want to hear about his ride out. Should be good....and funny! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:15 pm

Telekid was pretty psyched after scoring @ 1100 verts of serious powder. He goes up before sun-up and flies down as landscape lightens up. Said it was the best of the year and wicked good for any year. Wondered if he used those new E 99s as he has been going wider for a while. Will find out. Today after his report headed up to the Highlands and it looks like BNT (ben no Tele) had been active. He is a really good free heel Alpine skier who cruises all the knobs up there. Thinking he used to write for Ski or Skiing mag. Now he is skiing and it's neat seeing his tracks. Anyway, there was about a foot of pow on top of the Boiler and it was fast and good. Man, fast and silky. Supposed to get rain but so far, all light snow. Keeping fingers crossed. My 109's are losing the fore screw on the three pins so will use something else until I get some serious glue. Oh well! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:43 pm

Getting deep out there. Need to get those Boundless waxed up and see if they can do the deed up on Little tomorrow. used the rebounds but they were pretty much going in and under unless on pretty steep terrain. People have discovered my trail and they skied out the steep section. Bummer! Good thing i didn't meet up with the poachers cause there would have been a confrontation. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:20 am

Little Mountain had @ 2 feet of powder on a couple more under that. The Boys had a blast with exploding powder. Setting a decent up trail, they headed to the top and I skied from Tele-camp down. Had my widest skis the Boundless from years ago. They did quite well mostly straight shots of anywhere steep. Speed up going fast a couple ot turns and repeat. Did I mention exploding powder? Got a short video of Telekid and Telewood but who knows when it comes to electronics. Vortex is like the steep world up there. Think something like Tuckerman's Ravine with trees. Man did the Guys explode that! Justine also wailed on and in the powder. Food was different and really good. Kielbasa with veggies topped with sour Krout and finally Cheddar Cheese. Telewheels showed up and he too on his wide Vectors had a blast. Powder makes life very good. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:16 pm

Couple miles of great powder cruising. First half going up the second heading down. In the woods skis were down in about 2-4 inches and you could shoot moderate steeps and ride. long arcs through a beautiful hardwood forest with nice speedy "C's". Heard from Teleking just back from Florida and he hit the hardwoods instantly. Will try to ski with him tomorrow. Tthere is a section nobody skis. Couple years back Telesven flew down that side and had a decent ride. Thinking that might be a possibility. Skiing is great right now with @ four feet of base. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:06 am

Teleking and I headed up to a knob on the North side of Stanlock Gap. just a nowhere hill on a nowhere Range. Snow was decently fast and ev3erything is coated with feet of powder. Surface wise anywhere 2-4 inches in and away you could go. Snow was fast and riding and speed made for wonderful feeling long arcs. Sun peaked through now and then, but the snow remained soft powder and speedy. Found a dead tree with good seats and talked powder, downhill possibilities and took in the expansive views of nearby hills and far away White Mountains over in New Hampshire. Powdeer was sweet and made for long speedy arcs. Wonderful skiing out there. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:12 pm

Couple of days used shoe gue to stop the screws from unscrewing. headed up in the Highlands with tons of sweet powder blue sky and tons of sun. Fun! got to the top headed down and my left ski didn't come around. Looked loose so took the ski off and all the screws were loose. Bummer! Got some twigs stuffed them in the holes and screwed the screws in. Couple of sweet shots and things took a turn so to speak. Lifted my left ski up and the binding cut loose. By the time I got them off for more repairs I was down to one screw. Bummer! Repeated the process and reinforced with plastic string over the ski and binding and figured time to head out. Wicked bummer! Teleking showed up and gave me a velcro do hicky that clamped the ski to the ski. Headed out and the ski became more squirrely. Checked them out and the binding had no screws left but used the string and my heels were at times kinda off the ski. Cranked the Velcro down and headed out on that Logging Road having left the awesome Forest and powder in place. Long trip out. Thinking I might have to take repairing the skis a bit more seriously. Yup! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:40 am

Toothpicks and epoxy did the deed, and all went well. Cruised down the West area up in the Highlands and met some changing conditions and here and there a hard crust. Back on top headed down the East and Northeast side and had very fast easy to ski powder. Just contour hunting and doing speedy shots anywhere I landed. little shot here, little shot there and before long was dropping straight down the fall line with powder flying out in all directions. Fast short, sweet shots. Blue sky and lots of sun. The Logging Road in was total crust and the up trail wicked icy so headed back in the woods with some decent turns. Soon that too turned into hardpack breakable crust. Gotta say it was all good. Boys hit Little and from what I could find out scored @ 2 thousand feet of great late powder skiing. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:52 pm

Tele king was driving down and i was heading up. Sat in the middle of a snow choked road and solved all telemark ideas. He said there was @ 6 inches and when I got out there was some mote. Very quiet out there except for the other side of the hill howling winds. On the way up or breaking some new area the skis could go in almost knee deep. Powder is the ticket and Teleking had blown out the steepest line up there and it looked good. I started down until my pink wax kicked in on the down which led to another kind of down. At the top finally removed most of the wax and set out in a mellow direction. Not steep enough but good for a shot here or there. last part a small gully with some steeper vertical was good. Be back tomorrow and hope the North was broken by somebody else. Telekid might head up Little Mountain so could follow his trail and get a whole lot more. Wicked white out there and the snow is the deepest of the year. TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:01 am

Howling winds and dumping snow made for no visibility at times as the car tried to find the middle of the road that was getting narrower by the minute. Couldn't see much as the storm raged on. 3-6 inches they said as my skies sliced through 16 inches plus on the way up. Trees groaning tops rolling, noise everywhere. Got to the halfway point and headed the skis down not being able to see any contours and dips. Let the skis do the skiing and just felt what was there through the lite flexing boots. At the bottom scurried away and beat a hasty retreat and another mind-boggling ride down the hill. Wow! TM