New rant... Backcountry/wide skis and telemarkers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: New rant... Backcountry/wide skis and telemarkers

Post by jyw5 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:56 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:00 pm
Stephen wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:48 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:17 pm
But look at the DPS Pagoda... 105?
But they’re expensive, so they gotta be good, right?
The mind boggles at the price tag. Boggles.
DPS has somehow successfully made alot of ppl drink their koolaid.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am

https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamo ... %20Diamond

Hey @jyw5 i saw this ski and I thought about you. I didn’t do any weight comparisons. However I would imagine it’s stiffer than your FT. I’m sure it has more torsional strength than your S-112. Besides buying new skis is fun!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:19 am

fisheater wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am

Hey @jyw5 i saw this ski and I thought about you. I didn’t do any weight comparisons. However I would imagine it’s stiffer than your FT. I’m sure it has more torsional strength than your S-112. Besides buying new skis is fun!
You know, in that same vein, if you can find a pair of Dynafit Cho-Oyu's from a few years ago, those things are legit and would make a killer ski for the type of stuff you're doing. My friend has a pair and I covet them.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:43 pm

I still ride lifts, quite a bit, actually, sometimes teleskiing on K2 Superstinx that must be 20 yar old, newer plastic Scarpa boots, of course. I have or have had several vintage K2 tele skis, like em all. In the usual conditions at the ski area I mostly attend they ski well--quick to turn, decent but not great in more than 5-6 inches of new, and easy to set edges on the groomed and sometimes hardpack snow we usually have...wider skis don't cut it on hard snow for me, but I do have other, much newer, much fatter boards for powder days and live for those times. Telemarking always.
Every AM I see the AT gomers paying their $$ to go "uphilling", and great for them, makes me giggle, I can climb as quickly and as easily on my tele gear and skins...great backcountry trails right behind the lifts, huge verts, but they can't be bothered to go there; imho most of the AT folks are unwilling to commit to learning the telemark turn, freeing their heels, and their souls.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:22 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:19 am
fisheater wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:36 am

You know, in that same vein, if you can find a pair of Dynafit Cho-Oyu's from a few years ago, those things are legit and would make a killer ski for the type of stuff you're doing. My friend has a pair and I covet them.
for sure...i have been eyeing a pair of skimo or mountaineering skis for a while. My wife has the Salomon X-alp (S-lab)...they are light and fast. Those are now discontinued so I am have been looking at skis with a similar profile...like these

https://skimo.co/ski-trab-sintesi

or even narrower waist skis in the race category...around 65mm... some of those weigh as little as 3.4lbs!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:35 pm

MSU Alum wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:57 pm
Speaking of which....this is pretty funny.

So, they open the starting gate for amateurs to try out, and enjoy a good laugh.

First off... it's Kitzbühel, damn!
Secondly... this is sadistic.
Thirdly... pass me a dubbel and a brezel, and I'll enjoy a good laugh with them!!