Transition from Telemark :(

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Robert

Re: Transition from Telemark :(

Post by Robert » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Many thanks for the comments in this thread.

Woodserson and MSU Alum, together you’ve voiced my major concerns. I was hoping to hear from someone who has done something like I'm planning with the Hagan Off Limits — or something else with similar specs.

Woodserson, from your icon, I see someone ripping with speed and great form. I won’t be trying to follow you downhill! I really like your comment about high tips — especially for skinning in deep snow.

MSU Alum, I see that you ski in the Wasatch, and probably encounter lots of cold deep light power. Frankly, here on the wet coast, most of the time I’m on sweet spring corn, or a hard base with a couple of inches of fresh damp snow on top. Or sun cups. Or that crusty, grimy bumpy stuff under the trees in the spring. I do remember one midwinter day when we’d had a dump that was at least 18”. The best any of us could do (even on the fattest skis) was plow a trench that was over a foot deep. There was no support and the snow was heavy. After an exhausting couple of hours skinning up we we quit and headed for the pub. That’s rare.

Back when I arrived at Canada’s west coast (mid 90s), and didn’t know what I was doing but just wanted to be up on snow in the Coast Mountains, the local cross country guru sold me a pair of Tua 205s with NNN BC bindings and a pair of Alpina boots. Compared to the Bonna XC skis that I’d used in Manitoba (Canadian Prairie), I thought they were fantastic. But I wondered why I never could do tight telemark turns in the local hills. I did a lot of skiing (and a lot of falling) on the Tuas and I actually wore out those boots. I was inspired by Steve Barnett’s “Cross Country Downhill” and the telemark training videos by Dickie Hall and John Fuller.

Towards the end of that period I borrowed my daughter’s Karhu Catamount skis (they had the NNN BC binding). Those were only 157cm and the profile was 85-70-80. I loved the lightness and the shortness — and suddenly I could make short turns and venture out on much steeper slopes. That’s when I decided to abandon NNN BC and buy Scarpa T2s, a pair of K2 Telemark skis, and G3 telemark bindings. They’ve served me for over 15 years. Unfortunately, with my injured foot and lack of fitness (explained above), it is time for another change.

I’m also seeing sites that cater to people using short skis
https://www.outsideonline.com/1773711/a ... -hit-bumps
https://www.theshortskishop.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X5LYEDRWFE
https://skiboards.com/

I have until mid January to decide what I’ll do about skis. In the meantime, I’m beginning to work on fitness.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Robert wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Woodserson, from your icon, I see someone ripping with speed and great form. I won’t be trying to follow you downhill! I really like your comment about high tips — especially for skinning in deep snow.

I'm flattered, but it's not me it's a random picture out of World Cup Ski Technique by James Major & Olle Larsson that I had laying around when I made my account.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:55 am

Robert wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:42 pm

I’m also seeing sites that cater to people using short skis
https://www.outsideonline.com/1773711/a ... -hit-bumps
https://www.theshortskishop.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X5LYEDRWFE
https://skiboards.com/

I have until mid January to decide what I’ll do about skis. In the meantime, I’m beginning to work on fitness.
A of these skis/ski boards mentioned above are really designed for frontside groomed skiing with relatively predictable snow conditions. The youtube video has some intriguing idea, though. I still think a 162cm KOM is the way to go if it'll be able to take the heel piece of an alpine binding. Worst case you could ski with tele equipment but not telemark, just parallel turn. (I understand this might not be possible depending on your injury status)

Another option is a fat ski but for junior/youth skiers. Johnny has a pair of Armadas with lots of rocker, fat, for kids, and he uses them like KOM's. This is an intriguing idea and it would 100% accept a locked-down heel piece. https://shop.armadaskis.com/en-us/youth/skis.html Look at the TANTRUM for instance... 100mm wide, rockered, short. The more I think about it, the more if I wonder this is the ticket for your specific issue.

In a similar vein, women's skis often come very short and will support an adult.

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:55 am
Worst case you could ski with tele equipment but not telemark, just parallel turn. (I understand this might not be possible depending on your injury status)
Nope, the surgeon was quite clear about that. I may ski downhill or AT, but not telemark. Even I wouldn't trust me not to lift a heel if I could. My new hiking boots have to have very little flex, and the required orthotics constrain my foot.

Your mention of the Altai Kom, 162, sounds interesting. I'd never heard of them. I like the look of the high tip. Thanks.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:29 pm

Robert, sorry to hear of your orthopedic woes. I've been limited for years by various problems. I'm soon going to need bunion surgery on at least one foot to be able to ski. Not looking forward to it! If it doesn't work I may never be able to use ski boots again.

Doctors never really know what's going to happen - I'd be thinking wait until your recovery is complete & then decide what's going to work for you. I wonder if the XC skiing motion is that much worse than hard downhill turns. For me gentle XC skiing is much easier on everything than downhill turns. My most-used ski the last couple years is Asnes MT51.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Hello Robert,
I can’t help one bit with the AT boots or bindings.i wish you the best with that. I am attaching a link to Altai Hoks from this site. It is in the same class as the Hagen ski, but I believe it receives better reviews.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=939

I am with Woods and MSU in regards to attempting to ski downhill in steep terrain in what is not really a full bore ski.
I would point out that the boot and bindings combination are what really cost. If you’re in ski country, you can always buy a used ski. Also there are a lot of close out skis available in the spring.
My suggestion is to find the right boot/binding. Once you have the right boot/binding, and considering your preference is for a short ski. Find a ski with some titanal as part of the core, 80 to 90 mm underfoot, with generous sidecut, and a rocker, camber, rocker profile. Buy that ski as short as recommended for your weight. Then buy a pair of nylon skins to fit. Mind you this ski recommendation is all based on your desire to ski short.
My final suggestion is to practice with this outfit on some seasonally closed roads where you can get accustomed to the new gear in moderate terrain.
You have my best wishes. I am 58 and have been forced to acknowledge my mortality. I used to be super human and bulletproof, but those days have past. So while almost 20 years your junior, I can emphasize. You also have my respect and admiration. My “suggestions” while direct, are based upon 40 years on skis, and my desire to read glowing reports of your new gear.
I only ask that you post photos!
Regards,
Bob

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:16 am

Hi Robert,

I do not have much to add about skis or AT gear. I would like to ask you one question about your surgeons orders. Did the surgeon say 'no tele' or something more like 'no skiing in bindings that do not release' ?

I have been through one round of orthopedic surgery myself. I was injured while using alpine gear. I am not sure if the bindings were old and not releasing properly or if I simply had the DIN cranked up too high.Either way the skis did not release.

Last year I started getting into tele with (very) used gear. I have decided that I wanted to keep learning to tele but I absolutely do not want to have more knee reconstruction or additional plates holding my bones together.

Last week I ordered my first piece of new tele gear -- Telebry release plates. I plan to ski them on the lowest setting while I learn.

Is there any chance your surgeon would be OK with you free heel skiing if you get a binding that can release? Or is the doctor convinced that telemark is absolutely more likely to cause injuries than alpine skiing?

Robert

Post by Robert » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:40 am

FourthCoast wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:16 am
I would like to ask you one question about your surgeons orders. Did the surgeon say 'no tele' or something more like 'no skiing in bindings that do not release' ?...

...Is there any chance your surgeon would be OK with you free heel skiing if you get a binding that can release? Or is the doctor convinced that telemark is absolutely more likely to cause injuries than alpine skiing?
FourthCoast, the issue is telemark vs. AT. The concern is about the boot-flex of the tele vs. the support and stiffness of a downhill (or AT) boot. Binding-release is not an issue. The surgeon said I may walk but not run (or jump or do anything that is high impact), when I asked if I could ski (I guess she thought I'd be going to a lift-served hill) she said, "Yes." As soon as I added, "...telemark?" she was clear: "No!" I now wear stiff shoes with orthotics all the time. So, at this stage in my life I will no longer be telemarking, and I'm planning my transition to AT gear. The story of my injury is here: LisFranc Foot Injury, Chasing the Mastodon .

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 am

Hi Robert,

I see now that you already answered my question in your first post. Thank you for taking the time to repeat it for me. I read the full story (and looked at the photos!) about why you now need rigid boots.

Please let us know how you like AT after you get your setup put together. I have to admit that the AT tech toes and heels look like marvels of modern engineering -- very low weight, no more connection between the boot and ski than is necessary, and a completely free pivot with only the boot lifting.

Robert

Post by Robert » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:17 pm

FourthCoast wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 am
Please let us know how you like AT after you get your setup put together. I have to admit that the AT tech toes and heels look like marvels of modern engineering -- very low weight, no more connection between the boot and ski than is necessary, and a completely free pivot with only the boot lifting.
First I’d like to say how grateful I am to the commentators in this topic thread. Nowhere else did I find advice on my strange plan that was as relevant as I did here. As you will see, I did take your advice. This, then, is my preliminary report on the gear I chose.

The major decision-altering advice was to opt for skis that were longer than 130cm. The other issue was taking the time to find good fitting AT boots that were also good for walking. I almost never use the groomers, and in the spring, walking the trails and logging roads to and from the snow is routine.

Last fall was for planning. Then I was waiting for 1) the prices to drop sometime in January or February. 2) The season to mellow with lots of new snow on the ground and the days in the backcountry to become longer and warmer. I think I mentioned that my real backcountry ski season is Valentine’s Day to sometime in June. And 3) hope that the Altai Kōm 162 cm skis would become available in Canada again.

What really made a difference were some amazing end-of-season bargains at Mountain Equipment Coop (huge Canadian store for outfitting self-propelled wilderness travelers) combined with MEC closing and moving the flagship store in Vancouver. I made my purchases on the last day the old store was open, yesterday, March 1.

Boots. In many ways, I felt that acquiring the right boot was the foundation of the system. When I pressed my feet into the La Sportiva Skorpius CR, I knew it was right. This is a new product, and MEC never did have a large stock. It was nice and snug on my narrow foot. In the walk-mode it had a huge range of motion. The boots looked big, but were wonderfully light. Unfortunately, the price was really out of my league. Because it is end-of-season, MEC had lowered the price by a third. In my size, 129, there was only that one boot available in all of the MEC stores in Canada. It was the last day for that store, and the staff wanted as much gone as possible, so, for me, that boot got a pink sticker: That meant an additional 50% off the sale price! Awesome.
Bindings: G3 Ion 10 Binding With Brakes.
Skis: G3 SEEKr 110 Skis 164 cm. Same price reductions as the boots! Those were the last pair of Seekrs in the store.
Skins: G3 Alpinist+ Universal Skins, currently on sale.

With all of this in hand, we headed over to the ski shop of the MEC store in North Vancouver to have them mount the bindings.

How will all this work? I don’t know. Because of the foot operation, I haven’t really skied for 3 years. I’m 76, lost fitness, and I am 3 years older. But I’m really looking forward to being out in the high white wilderness again. This year it will be a new adventure. Thanks for all your help.