Ski Backpack

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
TeleMarcin

Ski Backpack

Post by TeleMarcin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:44 am

Hi I am on the market for the new ski backpack with an intention to be used during the multiday ski tours i.e. approximately 40 l, ski straps/carrying ski system. Please share what you are using and what fits the provided requirements. Thanks in advance, Marcin

FortyFour
Ski style: All of it
Favorite Skis: To many to mention
Favorite boots: Scarpa and Aplina

Re: Ski Backpack

Post by FortyFour » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:41 am

For touring I use Mammut Pro Removable Airbag 3.0 45 L.
I use it with and without the airbag as the airbag is removable;
It is extremely comfortable;
It is lightweight (minus the airbag);
It has excellent features for carrying skis and other equipment;

I also use a Mammut Spindrift 32 for some non-airbag tours and some cross country ski tours. 32L is a little tight depending on what type of tour you are doing e.g hut trips v. tent v. snow pit/cave.

Another non-airbag Mammut for ski touring in a similar size appears to be the Nirvana 35 L. Looks like a great pack as well.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 am

TeleMarcin wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:44 am
Hi I am on the market for the new ski backpack with an intention to be used during the multiday ski tours i.e. approximately 40 l, ski straps/carrying ski system. Please share what you are using and what fits the provided requirements. Thanks in advance, Marcin
MULTI-DAY as in, you're tenting out and carrying absolutely everything, or hut-to-hut and you don't need tent, stove, etc?

TeleMarcin

Post by TeleMarcin » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 am

Woodserson I need a new ski back pack for hut to hut touring. Thank you for notifiing this important factor.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm

I've got the Nirvana 35; used it for a couple years now. As said, very comfortable, highly functional... I've replaced the original hip belt with a self-cobbed, all webbing one; I've only ever skied it as a day pack, so the standard belt is more than I need, though it would be excellent if you're really carrying some weight in the pack. And you can if you want - plenty of volume there. Multiple options for ski carry.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:48 am

I am using the Osprey Kamber 42L as my full-day-multi-day ski touring pack.
It is a bit heavier than some of the other options out there- and does not come with a built-in airbag like the Soelden models.

The Kamber 42:
- comfortable with superb adjustments
- loads of well-designed compartments and attachments
- multiple ski attachment configurations

My only "complaint" is the sizing.
This pack- as well as the 32 that I tried on- is designed for men that are slender. and have narrow shoulders.
I am 5'10" and 180lbs- I have broad shoulders and am thick through the shoulders and chest.
I am at almost the limit of the adjustment in the shoulder straps in a size medium- which is ok, other than making the built-in water hose sleeve not work as well as it is designed to.
The size large fit me better in the chest and the shoulders, but the frame is too long resulting in the pack riding too low on my back and hips.

After one season I have decided that the Kamber 42 is more than I need for week-day turs. I have a small ~18L MEC ski pack that I have been using for short turs. I am considering buying the Kamber 16 for this application. I tried a good size fanny pack this winter and was reminded that I hate a fanny pack that has any weight to it.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bwm8142
Ski style: Trying not to fall down
Favorite Skis: Combat Nato

Post by bwm8142 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:49 pm

I don't have a specific recommendation for a pack, but in general I really like Osprey stuff. I have both a 60L and 25L pack from them and they are excellent quality. Very comfortable and guaranteed for life. Best options for packs are the ones that fit YOU though, so if you can try them on at a store or a friend's house first that's the best option.

YakovL
Ski style: Backcountry skiing/expedition; alpine ski

Post by YakovL » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:07 pm

Hi,

I use CAMP M5 for day or two days.
It has 50 l and for day tour it would be better to use M4 (40 l) or even M3 (30 l) version of the pack. But in any version it is really good pack for nordic touring as for me. I like them because it is very light (1,1 kg or 2,4 lb for M5 version) and well adapted for winter using: it manufactured from slippery nylon that doesn't absorbed dry snow, it has backdoor from the back (you can put somthing in or out avoiding putting the back of the bag on the snow), it is equipped with ski holders and holders for ice axes or poles.

The backpacks have no airbag systems and no adjasting shoulders systems. Also I would like to note that they have thin straps and small buckles (equipped with special pullers for using with mittens). They also have thin fabric so you have to use raincover in case of wet snow or rain. If you like many of pockets these backpacks maybe not for you: M5 has only three pockets (two in the valve and one open pocket on the front).

peterindc
Ski style: XCd, xcD, tele, alpine...it's all good
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad BC 195cm WL, Åsnes Tindan 176cm, vintage Epoke 900 210cm wax
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance GTX, Scott Excursion, old leather beaters

Post by peterindc » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 am

I’m a fan of the Black Diamond lineup because they are light, tough, have a streamlined profile, and have dedicated ski touring options.

I have the ski touring Cirque in both the 30L for backcountry day tours when I need all 10 essentials (https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/what- ... essentials) and the 45L for when I need to bring everything for an overnight including down parka and bivy. Both allow multiple ski carry options, have pockets designed for avy tools if you’re someplace you need those, side as well as top access, and helmet clips.

They also make a 22L Cirque which might be the sweet spot for in-resort ski touring, but for that I use a Black Diamond Distance 15L trail running vest, which has pockets in front for two 500ml water bottles.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 am

peterindc wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 am
I’m a fan of the Black Diamond lineup because they are light, tough, have a streamlined profile, and have dedicated ski touring options.

I have the ski touring Cirque in both the 30L for backcountry day tours when I need all 10 essentials (https://www.mountaineers.org/blog/what- ... essentials) and the 45L for when I need to bring everything for an overnight including down parka and bivy. Both allow multiple ski carry options, have pockets designed for avy tools if you’re someplace you need those, side as well as top access, and helmet clips.

They also make a 22L Cirque which might be the sweet spot for in-resort ski touring, but for that I use a Black Diamond Distance 15L trail running vest, which has pockets in front for two 500ml water bottles.
Yes, agreed. I have the BD Speed 30, and I got it specifically for the streamlined shape and it's been my go-to bag for years now on day trips. I love that thing, tough as nails too. The Speed doesn't have the ski options though so I'm usually wrangling skis when I put them on the pack.