Just impulse bought new skis on sale, what do you think of the set up?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: Just impulse bought new skis on sale, what do you think of the set up?

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Telecat,
I can totally relate with the impulse purchase. I did similar, in hopes of doubling down on a fantastic 2020/2021 ski season.

I got a new pair of Nordica Enforcer 93 for USD$300. Had my eyes on the Nordica 100-mm for years, but my wallet wouldn't let me pull the trigger. When this one came across, my wallet said, "I'm going to allow it." (My wallet is judge, jury, and executioner. Also, I was able to pick up a pair of used Vice bindings for this new rig.

My current tele rig is an old pair of Karhu Ruckits, maybe about about 75-mm @ the waist. Hammerhead has served me well on these. The Ruckits do not have a lot of snap for the type of carving I prefer, but they were dirt cheap when I got them, and all I knew about telemarking at the time was that it looked cool.

Lessons learned:
1. Patience and discipline are the ultimate dopamine inhibitors. So glad I waited for a good sale.

2. Vice binding stock heel risers do not have climbing bails. I just assumed the climbing bails were stock for all tele bindings. They were on the Hammerheads, and thy are on the Axl's. So much is mentioned about Vice vs Axl = free pivot, and the Vice is "resort orientated". But I have not seen a word about the climbing bails. I guess "resort orientated" also translates to "no climbing bails." For me, it's no big deal, and I can upgrade if need be. Just don't like surprises when I think it's an informed decision.

3. Ordering skis online, and receiving in the mail, is pretty seamless. Maybe it's the old geezer in me, but I WANT to be able to hold and feel in my hands, inspect with my eyes, feel the balance, flex the ski, smell the Ptex, scrape my nail on the metal edges, put the bases together and visually see the rocker/camber, look down the length of the ski and sight the sidecut....all these things, I WANT to do before agreeing to take ownership. Seeing it on paper is one thing, but doing it in person prior to purchase is part of the seduction to me. Anyways, it's a brave new world.