Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99 (now Transnordic 66)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Re: Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99 (now Transnordic 66)

Post by Jurassien » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:04 pm

Capercaillie wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:56 pm
There is a photograph in Morten Lund's 1972 book The Pleasures of Cross-Country Skiing that shows several Fischer Europa model cross-sections with voids:
Very interesting read – the first source in particular. The description of the Europa 77 is significant (Fiberglass Sandwich, Aluminium Edges, Plastic Base, 5lb/Pair (=2.27kg/Pair). The cross section of this ski (without hollow core) is also shown. This piqued my interest. I had never heard of the Europa 77 before, but it was quite obviously the precursor of the venerable Europa 99.

I had to look further and was surprised to find something direct from the horse’s mouth. The horse, in this case, being Josef Fischer, son and heir of Josef Fischer senior, founder of the factory in Ried, Austria. This is from the Fischer website (bold type to distinguish it from the rest of the post):

1970 is the year in which a very special Fischer success story begins: the ski factory in Ried starts manufacturing cross-country skis – and thus intruding into a Scandinavian domain. The scene is set for Fischer's meteoric rise to the world market leader in Nordic skiing.
"I reckoned it was an easy sport to try out, and a feasible alternative in the lowlands here, too. Kästle and Kneissl had shut production down, which gave us new opportunities. And of course I was able to implement my ideas in this field, too," Josef Fischer recalls. "I was in Scandinavia at that time to inspect various factories. But I saw no signs of development taking place there, which is why I sketched a first idea for a ski during the flight home. That was the 'Europa 77'."
At this point the "Europa 77" is really revolutionary. It consists of a laminated wooden core wrapped in fibreglass elements. The Scandinavians are fabricating all-wooden cross-country skis, which are heavier and break easily. Fischer aims to capture the cross-country ski market with modern technology. In winter 1971 the new ski is put through its first real test: Vienna to Nice, crossing the Alps – the total difference in altitude to be overcome is 85,000 metres. The members of the expedition are looking for a reliable, unbreakable ski for touring and trails. The leader of the expedition, Robert Kittel, (my note: surname misspelt, correct = Kittl) decides in favour of the "Europa 77", which passes the endurance test with flying colours. Fischer uses the experience gained on this expedition to put together the first cross-country collection for the 1971/72 season; it is presented at the ISPO in Munich in 1971.

Being a sceptic by nature, I couldn’t take this “Vienna to Nice, 85,000 altitude metres” business at face value, so I had to poke deeper. What I found was quite astonishing. Four extremely fit, competent and highly-disciplined Austrian young men, supported by a single logistic helper driving a VW van accomplished a journey of epic proportions with prototype skis, flimsy bindings and custom-made, low-cut leather shoes. Just reading the reminiscences of participant Klaus Hoi was enough to scare me shitless – and I’m no beginner to mountain ski-touring, neither alpine nor Nordic.

So there you have it: The Transnordic 66/E99/Europa 99/Europa 77 started its life as a sketch somewhere in the air between Scandinavia and Austria in 1970, took concrete form as some prototypes in the same year, and endured a decidedly brutal baptism of fire in the alps in March/April 1971 before being presented to the market in the 1971/72 winter season. The name and construction techniques/materials have been changed a few times in the intervening 52 years, but it’s still a metal-edged, Nordic-cambered, cross-country ski with a ca. 55mm waist.

This (for me) very interesting journey of historical discovery was kicked off just a few days ago when I stumbled upon a battered old ski catalogue in the cellar.
Last edited by Jurassien on Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

satanas

Post by satanas » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:07 am

I had E77s BITD, and they were infinitely better than the wooden skis they replaced - faster, turnier, way more edge hold etc.

Those boots are *not* low cut for the 1970s though - I couldn't find anything like that commercially available until -~1984, and the heelpieces on the bindings appear to be an early form of heel locators - remember those anyone?

PS: the Ultra Tour Crowns mentioned on the previous page were a bit narrower (59/50/54) and lacked steel edges, so didn't do too well when things were firm, a frequent occurrence here in Oz. As for wax versus patterns, it depends where you live and how much conditions vary. I gave up on grip waxes in 1984 and would never go back unless I lived somewhere considerably colder.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:08 pm

@Jurassien Thanks for digging up this info, what they managed on those skis and boots looks pretty gnarly to me.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:50 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:04 pm
Approaching Mont Blanc Summit-ridge; On roof of bivouac hut after summit:

IMAGE REMOVED

This (for me) very interesting journey of historical discovery was kicked off just a few days ago when I stumbled upon a battered old ski catalogue in the cellar.
Oh that adventure is pure Shackleton! Amazing.

On my very short bucket list, I have thought of skiing Vallee Blanche. Skiing NNN-BC or lighter only, that would be somewhat of a challenge, but not that extreme in the end I guess. Reading about 3-pins without cables on Mont Blanc adds hope to my bucket :D
Last edited by tkarhu on Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland

Post by Capercaillie » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:56 pm

Jurassien wrote:
Fischer uses the experience gained on this expedition to put together the first cross-country collection for the 1971/72 season; it is presented at the ISPO in Munich in 1971.
That is very interesting. This means that Fischer has always had wood-core-with-voids models since they began making XC skis. I wonder if they were the first company to introduce this idea.
Jurassien wrote:
Being a sceptic by nature, I couldn’t take this “Vienna to Nice, 85,000 altitude metres” business at face value, so I had to poke deeper. What I found was quite astonishing. Four extremely fit, competent and highly-disciplined Austrian young men, supported by a single logistic helper driving a VW van accomplished a journey of epic proportions with prototype skis, flimsy bindings and custom-made, low-cut leather shoes. Just reading the reminiscences of participant Klaus Hoi was enough to scare me shitless – and I’m no beginner to mountain ski-touring, neither alpine nor Nordic.
And check out their outfits. All the marketing about "ultralight" and "smart wool" today - is it really modern, or 1970 retro?

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:32 pm

I picked up some new-to-me ~15 year old, 210cm long E99 skis this fall:
e99.jpg
They felt a little slow when I used them on Tripoli Road this past week, but Strava shows that feeling was deceptive. I ended up setting two new personal segment records. Better than expected. These are much faster than the turn of the century red ones.

Next time I'll have to take my Asnes MT 51 skis there, and go really fast ;)