Share your Pre Season, work out routines

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
satsuma

Re: Share your Pre Season, work out routines

Post by satsuma » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:40 am

I am using V-2 XL9848 skis (metal axles), which I started using 8 years ago when I weighed about 225 lbs. (now about 190 :) ). These are two-wheel skis that simulate classic skiing (the front wheels only roll forwards), and the solid wheels are fairly wide. The one (or two) repairs they have needed was due to welds breaking between the wheel assembly and the ski; the current design is for the wheel assembly to be bolted to the ski; bolts can be easily replaced (and I have broken bolts). The boots are currently use are my regular track-skiing boots Rossignol Tour X-3 boots. Previously, I used Rossignol X-5 combi boots, both NNN-3. The poles I use are typically 40% carbon fiberglass/carbon composite poles with roller skiing (carbide) tips. I have broken the tips off poles once or twice a year due to the poles catching in cracks between segments of paved trails. Sometimes, I can reglue the tips, but a set of new poles per season is not unusual.

The trail I ski on most of the time is a round-trip on an asphalt-paved 2 1/2 mile (one way) Corps of Engineers trail along Mill Creek (a concrete flood-control channel) in Walla Walla, starting at Eastgate Lions Park and ending at Rooks Park (see map) . The elevation gain is about 200 ft. going east (and 200 ft. down going west). One is double poling much of the westbound part of the route. No speed reducers are required for a 2% grade, and I got rid of the ones that original came with my skis. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mill+ ... 118.277301.

On early weekend mornings where there is sufficient light, I will ski directly on streets. I like to finish by 8:30 to avoid traffic, which compared to most places, is still pretty light around here.

Capurro96

Post by Capurro96 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:25 pm

I like skiing, but I live in a warm place close to the ocean. Once a year, we go on vacation to the mountains. I enjoy winter sports. But I don't neglect exercising during standard times either. I have a workout plan - to improve my health and keep it at all times of the day. I try to exercise every day. On weekends I go to the pool. I ordered a natural product from https://rats.army/product/mk-2866-ostarine/ for more effective results in building muscle mass. Some of my friends have used it and had better results.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:30 pm

A picture says a thousand words and a sign in the picture says the altitude.

September
3807643D-9A59-4006-9248-35D115A84254.jpeg
October
BA4BD851-A5B8-4895-88AA-695D215CB22C.jpeg
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

kookDaddy

Post by kookDaddy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:12 am

Training for XCd or xcD? For xcD do whatever for cardio (run, swim, bike, row...) then for legs do leg blasters:

https://www.backcountry.com/explore/tra ... ine-skiing

If you wanna get crazy do them with 3 or 5 lb weights in each hand.

Training for XCd I don’t know, but I’d guess heavy cardio and some roller skis?

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:50 am

Height: 5'14"
Weight: 14 Stone

I generally switch from hard liquor to beer.
328440_3086342650205_1810297763_o.jpg

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:11 am

I raced ultra trail races all year, then spent 10wks in the fall focused on uphill running and muscular endurance. I was doing my best to prep for my first skimo race season. we have had 2 races this season, and I have learned a lot in a hurry.

- races have between 4200 - 5000ft of vert, typically covered in 3-4 laps up/down a mountain.
- unlike long distance trail running, skimo races have no warmup. it is full gas from the gun straight up a mountain
- you must be "comfortable" pinning your HR at 90% max for 15-20mins at a time.
- "recovery" on downhills is brief, but does allow for a HR reset
- race winners are often done in 90 mins, I am usually 30 mins behind them, so 2hr races for me.

what have I learned from my first 2 races and how will I change my training for next year?

- I now have a new baseline for what "hard" means, and I now have a new baseline for what I am capable of. in training this fall I thought I was doing "hard" workouts, but racing has shown me that "hard racing" actually is a different level. hard means drooling like a hound, inability to complete full thoughts, and drawing on practiced mental fortitude to just keep hammering
- my muscular endurance is good enough. ME training was effective this fall
- my endurance is good enough. skimo races are short
- I have learned that I can turn myself inside out hammering in a race for 2hrs and I will not blow up and DNF. call this confidence building. my *avg* HR in races is 86-88% of my max HR. I have learned that I cam capable of doing this
- my lean race weight is 190lbs. I prob have 40lbs. on the race winners.
- race winners are cardio machines. their aerobic engines are mind boggling. when they pass me on uphills I have nothing but respect for their abilities

training for next year
1. I must get faster uphill. now I truly understand what fast actually means, and I understand what "hard" can mean. I must do more training uphill in the offseason to improve my Vo2max
2. this one is complicated. it takes me way too long to get warmed up and this is a problem in a short skimo race. I always negative split my laps. I need to develop a warmup routine and the discipline to use it so that my first lap feels like my 2nd or 3rd. this is probably the area where I can find the most gains.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 pm

randoskier said:

“Age: Old as the hills

I generally switch from hard liquor to beer.”

Simply Awesome!

I spent last summer moving roughly 8 tons of rock with my wheelbarrow. That was a kickass workout.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:08 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 pm
randoskier said:

“Age: Old as the hills

I generally switch from hard liquor to beer.”

Simply Awesome!

I spent last summer moving roughly 8 tons of rock with my wheelbarrow. That was a kickass workout.
metric tons?

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:09 am

As important as pre-season conditioning is one mustn't neglect post ski recuperation. It is very important to replace the nutrients that your body has lost during this exertion. This a typical Norwegian recuperation dish- you know why Norway wins all those medals every single winter Olympics? One word...BACON! I have never seen a people that eats more bacon, this could be changing as a lot of millennials there have developed eating disorders from the internet -such as: veganism (flower-eaters) and the fictional ailment of gluten intolerance. But those are not the guys and gals standing on the podium. Bacon...not just for breakfast anymore!
20210402_180120.jpg

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:30 am

I started running trail ultras because I heard I could eat all the waffles I wanted. In ski racing, I find it critical to eat a bacon cheeseburger with fries within 24hrs of finishing a race. for my next race I'm thinking of carrying some extra cheeseburgers in my skins pockets..if nothing else I can lob them at the skinny guys who crush me on the uphills. or if my skins ice up, I can use the bacon to slick them down.