What do you carry in day packs? Backcountry XCd

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

What do you carry in day packs? Backcountry XCd

Post by Telecat » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:12 pm

So I tend to over pack I think. And im getting a new backpack to replace the crappy ones I have been trying to use.

I think im settling on the dakine heli pro 20L. It seems slim enough that I can take out some bulk items and use for lift served, or quicky throw my emergency gear in and take BC XCd skiing. Also seems big enough that it will be a decent hiking day pack.

So here's my typical gear list, let me know if I should add anything im not thinking of.

-Personal locator beacon (most important thing I think)
-Emergency mylar bivvy, and an extra space blanket if I have to make a windshield or something
- spare layers kept in a plastic bag to keep dry (hat, socks, long johns, shirt)
-multi tool
-paracord
-food

When I XCd I only do day trips, usually solo. And I dont think I venture anywhere that wouldn't be fairly easily accessible to rangers on snowmobiles, usually in state parks, or in the catskill park. I figure if I get into any trouble I only need to be able to survive for maybe up to 8 hours for rescue... though maybe its more complicated than I imagine.

Anything im not thinking of? I've thought of getting some microspikes or something incase in break a ski/boot/binding and have to hike out.. but idk if that would be likely or if spikes would even help much

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: What do you carry in day packs? Backcountry XCd

Post by Montana St Alum » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:33 pm

I include fire starting stuff, something to melt snow in, shovel, giant garbage bag (in lieu of bivy/space blanket) and a whistle (you can dehydrate really fast and in dehydration the vocal cords go fast).

boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:12 pm

Here is a list from 1941 written by the good old Jackrabbit Johannsen! ;)
page 8.1.png
page 8.2.png
page 9.1.png

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:54 pm

boby13 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:12 pm
Here is a list from 1941 written by the good old Jackrabbit Johannsen! ;)
Hey Boby13!

Speaking of JackRabbit... did you finally get Asnes to do a JackRabbit ski ;) Think not but that would be very cool... I guess they would sell like crazy in the Laurentians.

Can't wait to go back skiing the summits of Tremblant with you... with my longer FT62 I should be able to keep up with you as opposed to the last time with my Rabbs.

Can't wait!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Boby, I really enjoyed the list, very cool. MSU, I think the garbage bag is a great idea.
Telecast, thanks for posting. Most of my trails stand a very good likelihood of having somebody pass my way if I had a problem. While I can make 10-15 miles in a day without much overlap in trails it is unusual to be more than 3 or 4 miles from a trailhead.
Since I am planning on doing some more remote trails this year I have been thinking about carrrying something bigger than my camelback. I use my camelback to carry my soft shell and hat if I get warm. I like a drink of water. I can carry a sandwich, and sometimes a beer.
I have an old Lowe Alpine Contour 40 that I will use this winter, as long as agents from the Smithsonion don’t catch me!. I think I will jam a sleeping pad in there. If I need to spend the night by a fire I want to keep my a$$ dry! Other than that maybe a small pot. I think this is cool!

https://www.kellykettle.com/kelly-camping-kettles

I think the smallest Kelly Kettle is pretty cool to have as well as a backpacker meal, and some quick oats mixed with brown sugar for the morning! To me fuel for the body keeps you warmer, and more rational if things go wrong if you need to spend a night in the woods. That is what I am thinking. I have always just truck camped with a small tent. Usually the coldest is right around freezing, so I have been contemplating what to carry. I’m going to make up my pack, and carry it on my early season loops. If I’m slow I can’t blame Gamme, at least I can say it must be the pack!
Good luck Telecat. Keep us informed of what you come up with, I will let you know how I progress.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:43 pm

I'd add herbal medicine (congrats to our friends in Arizona, Montana & New Jersey :mrgreen: ) and a down jacket. I've got a down jacket I squeeze into a small stuff sack, barely takes up any room. If you're laying in the snow with a leg injury these are the first two things I'd want. On alpine tours I used to carry a down sleeping bag every time, it helps to fill out & cushion the pack too.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: What do you carry in day packs? Backcountry XCD

Post by fgd135 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:54 pm

JRW.jpg
Hard to argue with a guy that lived to be 111.Jackrabbbit's list is just about perfect. So was his wax!
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: What do you carry in day packs? Backcountry XCD

Post by Stephen » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:54 pm
032AA880-6FF2-45D4-A0F1-F4ED7DFC062B.jpeg
Not bad to have a cult following decades later.

Good lord — flashback to the early 70s!
I used that — can’t remember* what I thought of it, but it was in my wax kit.

*But then, there’s a lot I don’t remember...

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Howdy,

Here’s my 2 cents. If you are traveling solo a beacon, shovel, and probe won’t do any good. Depending on how remote the area is you are traveling, if you got caught in an avalanche no one will be there to bury you out. So I would stick to more low angle stuff if traveling solo. That’s what I do on those occasions in remote Wyoming.

Here is what I stash in my pack for normal full day trips when not in avalanche terrian. I have a 32 liter pack. If I do shorter trips (2-4hrs) I bring a Fanny pack (short trip) or 20 liter pack and trim this list down quite a bit. One thing to remember when traveling alone is to not keep pushing yourself. Remember what’s in your pack and plan ahead for the allotted time you plan on being out on the trail. Know when it’s time to turn around and be careful of all the choices you make.

Essentials
-Spare Socks
-Bivy and Emergency Blanket/tarp
-Small piece of wood kindle to easily start fire
-2 lighters
-Spare batteries for head lamp
-Headlamp
-First Aid kit
-Binding repair kit
-wool spare long sleeve shirt
-Several Voile straps
-Emergency Food - Don’t eat unless you have to
-Scraper for removing sticky snow
-Phone battery dock
-Sunscreen
-Hand and feet warmers
-Glide wax liquid only in spring
-Voile Shovel with internal Saw - For snow home and cutting wood
-Skins

For Journey - Items in pack
-Shell
-Puffy
-Proton LT
-Beanie and face mask
-Gloves 2 sets Thick and Medium pairs
-High Calorie food - homemade Burrito
-Water 2 liters - Sometimes 3 depending on distance
-Caffine Drink
-Tangerines & Apples

I may of forgotten something on this list but that’s what I can think of at the moment. This list will fluctuate depending on what Terrian I ski or how long so plan on being out on the trail. Lastly yes I do have a beacon and probe that goes in when I am traveling with a group only in avalanche Terrian.

Hope this helps!

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:39 am

I'd agree about the beacon and probe, but a shovel can be very handy in an emergency situation. A snow hole or quinzee will be much warmer than using a tarp or survival bag on its own. I don't carry one for local day trips where the trails tend to be busy, but in the mountains or more remote forest skiing I think it's worth the extra weight.