Ahahahaha....I'm going tele skiing in Feb!!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

Re: Ahahahaha....I'm going tele skiing in Feb!!

Post by bauerb » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:47 pm

so why am I going on websites and filtering on "Telemark skis". seems like I should be looking for alpine skis. there are so many more choices and better prices.

when I was a kid and didn't have any money, my ski jumping skis were old alpine skis mounted with jumping bindings. jumping bindings actually made for better tele bindings( after they were loosed up a bit) because they didn't rely on 3-pin. I guess we are full circle 35 years later....just with better binding options

I'm so confused now. I guess I start looking at 109~ ish alpine skis

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 pm

The "filter" is probably a false herring and you're getting the same skis.

What site?

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 pm

I had posted this before, but maybe you disregarded it because you were looking for tele specific skis. There may be nothing in here that suits your needs, but it may give you an idea of what's available:

https://blisterreview.com/winter-buyers-guide

I'd go with manufacturer recommended length and mounting positions, these days.
Last edited by Montana St Alum on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 pm

wow thats a comprehensive guide. I think I fit the "all mountain - more forgiving". I ski with plenty of power, but not at high speed. something in the 109-110 waist range. since I am buying and traveling with 1 pair of skis, seems like a better choice than groomer or powder skis.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:57 pm

bauerb wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 pm
wow thats a comprehensive guide. I think I fit the "all mountain - more forgiving". I ski with plenty of power, but not at high speed. something in the 109-110 waist range. since I am buying and traveling with 1 pair of skis, seems like a better choice than groomer or powder skis.
I agree. I think most of us are in that category.
And 182 really might be a good length. I go longer, but after thinking on it, that's probably because I use skis with significant tip and tail rocker which makes them ski shorter.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:13 am

while in VT this weekend I went to Gear Exchange in Burlington. its a 22,000 square foot Mecca for all things outdoors. Probably the best stocked outdoor store I have ever been to. I was able to put my hands on all kinds of skis and get a feel for widths and see various degrees of rocker first hand. they had a nice selection of used Tele gear, some of it at great prices, eg. Icelandic 109s with OutlawX large bindings for $399....unfortunately in a 167cm length. in other years I have bought gear that is "close enough" to what I am looking for, sometimes too short, too narrow, etc. I didn't buy anything this weekend because none of the used gear was "just right:", and the new skis were not good deals, basically retail prices. in fact my observation for the entire store is the selection on many things is fantastic, the prices are full retail. I even ventured into the "clearance basement" expecting to find good deals. a smart wool shirt marked down from $109 to $99 is not my idea of "clearance". in any case, I was happy to see the skis first hand, now I am more confident placing an order.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:57 am

Last summer, mountain bikes were sold out almost across the board and used gear prices were very high. I expect it had something to do with COVID and associated issues. I've also heard that it was even hard to find dogs, as pets. It wouldn't surprise me if that extends to ski gear moving forward. I don't think that necessarily translates into shortages and so far I don't see huge snow dumps that would make it necessary to grab gear fast, but it may be hard to find good deals.

I think pent up demand once we get vaccines (2, by mid-December, I hope? + another soon after...) will result in that dreaded "mountain bike effect".

Right now, used gear is hot. I had 2 pairs of old boots and 3 pairs of skis that got vacuumed up really quickly on the used market.

But given that you're looking for gear for your foray into Montana, I think you can afford to be picky.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:01 pm

I was also shopping for racing snowshoes. the 2 shops that had them were talking about Covid related supply issues and increased demand. like bikes, many people want entry level, but when those are not available, they end up buying higher priced, higher performance models. one guy in the shop was saying he had customers buying racing snowshoes because all the other kinds were sold out. Covid is spiking demand for any kind of outdoor activity.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:50 am

well I was about to pull the trigger on the Icelandic Pioneer 109's. I just spoke with Erik Fey and he told me that they are sold out. But he recommended the 2021 SummitCone Exile 106 . I told him that I wanted 1 ski for Montana, and that was his recommendation. has anyone skied the Summitcone Exile?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:22 am

bauerb wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:50 am
well I was about to pull the trigger on the Icelandic Pioneer 109's. I just spoke with Erik Fey and he told me that they are sold out. But he recommended the 2021 SummitCone Exile 106 . I told him that I wanted 1 ski for Montana, and that was his recommendation. has anyone skied the Summitcone Exile?
One of my tele friends skis them. He has the Paulownia core one... Called the OUTCAST 106 this year... a little lighter and poppy-er. He got them for out west trips. He skis them with the Lynx, IIRC. Lemme check my phone for a quote from last year when he was Taos... stby...
WhiteFang with spelling errors from text wrote:
"This skis are stupid, carve like monsters and still playful and powder killers and moguls are a breeze. I love the almost no tail rocker!!!"
I have two pairs of 177cm Pariah's and a pair of 174cm Exiles (aspen/poplar core model) but have not skied the Exiles because I got them late last season and then Covid. I love my Pariahs. I have personally been in the shop and handled dozens and dozens of their skis and have not seen any quality control issues as mentioned elsewhere. The skis are made by NeverSummer/Icelantic in CO.