Alpina Alaska 75 help.a guy out

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mainemike13

Alpina Alaska 75 help.a guy out

Post by mainemike13 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:20 pm

I realize this is an odd request, but my old boots just blew out last week and I ordered new boots online (I live very far from any shop that stocks Alpina boots) they're Alpina Alaska 75's in size 44. My new skis/bindings were originally to be mounted for my old sole length, but now need to be mounted for my new Alaskas. Long shot, but does anyone have a size 44 Alaska 75? And knows the sole length (from pins to heel)? Mine wont be in for a couple weeks, and I cant find any info online about sole length. Hopefully someone out there has them!

jalp

Re: Alpina Alaska 75 help.a guy out

Post by jalp » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:38 pm

mainemike13 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:20 pm
I realize this is an odd request, but my old boots just blew out last week and I ordered new boots online (I live very far from any shop that stocks Alpina boots) they're Alpina Alaska 75's in size 44. My new skis/bindings were originally to be mounted for my old sole length, but now need to be mounted for my new Alaskas. Long shot, but does anyone have a size 44 Alaska 75? And knows the sole length (from pins to heel)? Mine wont be in for a couple weeks, and I cant find any info online about sole length. Hopefully someone out there has them!
Mike,
My preference has been to mount pins on balance point regardless of sole length, but that's me. The measurement from heel to pin center on my sz 44 Alaskas is 12.8". Hope this helps.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:50 pm

What skis?
I ask because the skis I would be skiing with an Alaska 75 boot would be mounted pins on balance point. I would not be mounting boot center on boot center mark on ski. I am aware of the Fisher S-bound system that is basically pins on balance point, with gradations for boot sole length.
My Alaska 75 size 45 are 331 mm pin line to end of heel. It is highly unlikely the difference in sole length between a 45 and a 44 would make much of a difference. I don’t think we would be talking more than a centimeter.
I would really ask why they want boot sole length. Most skis that you will ski well with an Alaska 75, should be mounted pins on balance point.
Good luck, not trying to cause anxiety. “I’m from the government, I’m only here to help”! ;)

Alex Wotton

Post by Alex Wotton » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:35 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:50 pm
What skis?
I ask because the skis I would be skiing with an Alaska 75 boot would be mounted pins on balance point. I would not be mounting boot center on boot center mark on ski. I am aware of the Fisher S-bound system that is basically pins on balance point, with gradations for boot sole length.
My Alaska 75 size 45 are 331 mm pin line to end of heel. It is highly unlikely the difference in sole length between a 45 and a 44 would make much of a difference. I don’t think we would be talking more than a centimeter.
I would really ask why they want boot sole length. Most skis that you will ski well with an Alaska 75, should be mounted pins on balance point.
Good luck, not trying to cause anxiety. “I’m from the government, I’m only here to help”! ;)
It's worth noting that I contacted fischer for s-bound 98 mounting instructions last week and they told me not to adjust for shoe size but to just mount on BP.

mainemike13

Post by mainemike13 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:39 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:50 pm
What skis?
Thanks for the response! They are Fisher S Bound 98's, so im assuming that is why they were asking for sole length. Ill be talking to them today so ill have a few questions now. Thanks again

mainemike13

Post by mainemike13 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:40 am

jalp wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:38 pm
mainemike13 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:20 pm
Mike,
My preference has been to mount pins on balance point regardless of sole length, but that's me. The measurement from heel to pin center on my sz 44 Alaskas is 12.8". Hope this helps.
Great help, thank you

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:00 am

Maybe I am naïve, but knowing sole lenth let them install the heel rest at the right place... Like Fish is saying, you could trust a size 45...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:14 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:00 am
Maybe I am naïve, but knowing sole lenth let them install the heel rest at the right place... Like Fish is saying, you could trust a size 45...
I think you hit the nail on the head. Thank you Rod.