Favorite Ski Shop for Kicker Skins?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Favorite Ski Shop for Kicker Skins?

Post by Baaahb » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:18 pm

This actually is a split-personality thread with two separate topics for discussion. Please do not let your head explode.

The first question is what's your favorite ski shop? I'm familiar with the places folks go to out west but there seems to be a very different set back east.

Of course, there's REI. And then the big mail-order out west is backcountry out of SLC, not to be confused with the locals favorite, the backcountry, out of Truckee. And then Sierra Trading Post, but there pretty uch just a clothing retailer now...or maybe if you're lucky a place to find some alico leather boots on sale. Then there's telemark-pyrenees, which sounds like it's in Spain. Just curious. I know there's some east coast shops whose name I keep forgetting. Like that place that sells ice skates.

Wilderness Gear Exchange (gearx) seems to be the "big" mail order place.

As far as kickers, where did the love go? These have got all but impossible to find these days and are one of my favorite pieces of gear. But it's not the "best" at anything. It's not the best for kick and glide, it's not the best for climbing, it's just one of those versatile can doa bit of everything tools that disappaear in today's "get the best for everything" mind set. rant over. Does anybody but BD even make these anymore? I need a new pair. Not only do they now have as much glue as a piece of paper, but one of the welts is broken. Thank God I stocked a second pair, but I need two working pair.

Thx. Only 3 more days and 2020 is toast!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Favorite Ski Shop for Kicker Skins?

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:18 pm

T-P is in France. https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/
Skate place you're thinking of is probably Nordic Skater https://nordicskater.com/
GearX is actually Outdoor Gear Exchange, which is in VT and has big inventory and big consignment section and is legendary.
There's also Akers, http://www.akers-ski.com

Kicker skins are everywhere, but integrated with propriety systems now and you mostly need a ski with the correct system to use. Annoying, but way better than BD's metal-plate kicker thing/snow plow.

Fischer: EZ-Skin, nylon/mohair mix
Asnes: X-Skin, nylon and mohair options
Madshus: Intelligrip

Or, make your own. You can get all the skin parts you want now from www.Skimo.co and others.

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:35 pm

Good points all around.

I'm not a fan of proprietary systems...one beauty of kickers for me is their versatility on different skis.

The BD design (metal plate) is not perfect but you can tamper with it to make it close to perfect. I put some extra thickness under the back of the metal plate (layers of duct tape, f'r'instance) so that the front stays pressed against the ski.

Also... can you (easily) take the proprietary skin systems off without taking off the ski? Easy to do with BD.

Plus, aren't all the proprietary systems for narrower skis (less than 90 waist?)

I also don't see any parts for making the front of a kicker. That would be awesome. I tried once stitching a strap onto some cut skins. Nope.

gulfofslides

Post by gulfofslides » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Baaahb wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:35 pm
Good points all around.

I'm not a fan of proprietary systems...one beauty of kickers for me is their versatility on different skis.

The BD design (metal plate) is not perfect but you can tamper with it to make it close to perfect. I put some extra thickness under the back of the metal plate (layers of duct tape, f'r'instance) so that the front stays pressed against the ski.

Also... can you (easily) take the proprietary skin systems off without taking off the ski? Easy to do with BD.

Plus, aren't all the proprietary systems for narrower skis (less than 90 waist?)

I also don't see any parts for making the front of a kicker. That would be awesome. I tried once stitching a strap onto some cut skins. Nope.
if you have some older full length skins cut the forward part down to 1.5 inches wide and leave the kick section full width and just cut off the rear leaving rounded edges

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:26 pm

That's a thought. I've used skinny skins before -- less than an inch wide, full length. They tend to roll off on turns.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:30 pm

Asnes Fjoro 92 with integrated kicker skin. https://www.asnes.com/produkt/fjoro-92- ... oppturski/

But it really sounds like you need/want/should have an Objective BC, UltraVector BC, or a V6 BC or an Altai KOM if you really want to have some fun, and just go with scales and forget about the kicker skins.

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:07 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:30 pm
But it really sounds like you need/want/should have an Objective BC, UltraVector BC, or a V6 BC or an Altai KOM if you really want to have some fun, and just go with scales and forget about the kicker skins.
I generally use kickers with fishscale skis. I think because I'm a bit heavy (close to 200 lbs) I have never gotten as good a grip as my partners and so, although the scales are fine for the approach, to do laps on a moderate slope, kickers really save time and distance on the up.

I currently ski Fischer boundless and Rossi BC-125 (as well as narrower skis) but have just ordered some Ultravectors, a ski I've thought about for a few years, though its mission will be more aggressive tours where Ill probably carry a full length skin rather than a kicker. I went for them rather the Objective because of the warranty issue, and rather than the V6 because its more aggressive rocker makes it less suitable for hardpack, and rather than altai which is a bit redundant with the Rossi and seems to be the ski equivalent of a station wagon. In addition to being the go-to ski for aggressive tours, the Ultravector will be my quiver of one ski for those times when your quiver is only one (EG air travel, if that ever becomes possible again!).

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:23 pm

Baaahb,
I think you made a great decision on the Vectors! You’re going to run into quite a bit of deeper snow, a no go for the Falketind. I think the Objective is both short, and soft for guys 190 and over. Everybody seems to like the scales. I have some have some 187 Tindan 86 waiting for snow. A little more narrow and lighter than Vector, maybe not the Ultras, but I have enough extra grams on me not going to worry about a couple on the skis! These skis are waxable, which I have preferred in more narrow skis. I’ll find out how it works on a wider ski!
I didn’t mention the Tindan, because I was just really fortunate to get one.