E109 setup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Tahoetrails22

E109 setup?

Post by Tahoetrails22 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:14 pm

I’m 131lbs, 5’6” woman skier, grew up skiing on vintage 3pins with boots that were disintegrating from age. Looking to get back into carving new trails in the woods behind my in-laws cabin and climbing a bit up to the Tahoe rim trail (not groomers).

I’m looking at the E109’s, but unsure of what lengths I could get away with. Seems like the 190cm are sold out everywhere. Not sure if 180’s would be too short for this longer format?

Also leaning towards 3pin mountaineers, but not sure if the traverse would be an advantage for the climbs? Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on Alfa’s, crispis, Alaska’s? I’d prefer a more classic leather boot, but also not sure if these would feel a bit bulky, overkill for my 24.5-25.5cm feet?

Thanks!

Tahoetrails22

Re: E109 setup?

Post by Tahoetrails22 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:38 pm

Also, any thoughts between the E109 and an Asnes? With the E109, seen a lot of positive and negative thoughts, may be based on the different designs. Any thoughts on the latest iteration vs the Asnes?

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:20 am

180 would be fine....yesterday skied the older (non rocker) and a bit narrower than the new ones....178 they were and I weigh a whole lot more than you!!!!!!!!My normal 109's are 190 and would have been better to get the 200 model....109's are good for cruising and really good for a skinny downhill Nordic tele turns....I mean they really go!!!!!...The short ones that I use can get squirrely on hard pack but really become the ski when elongated and ridden as one longer ski....The new ones with rocker are ok but don't cruise as well on the up but are really good in powder!!!!!! Have a blast!....have Asolo (snowpine????) and some ole Merrills....but any leather boot will crank them....Pins for me are Rottafella Super Telemark no cables......Works well for me and has for 40 years....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:19 pm

I found this chart for E-99’s. The E-109 should be very similar. I converted your weight to Kilos, so you are pretty much 60 kg.
4B55A1F0-D7FD-4430-A65B-CA453779806B.png
So according to the chart you’re at the heavy side for a 185 cm, and the light side for a 195 cm. If you go 195, you may have difficulty engaging the wax pocket or scales. A 185 or 180 may drag a bit, so it would be slower. Teleman has been skiing E-109’s since Fischer has been making them, he thinks the 180 cm will be okay.
Now I can say there is absolutely no reason to put a 3-pin Traverse on an E-109. There is no need for that riser on a ski as narrow as the E-109. If you wanted to put a 3-pin cable on an E-109, that would be okay, you might like the cable on some downhill runs, and it clips on easily. However most of the time the cables will be in you pack. Not that it is bad for the cables to be in your pack, they can be nice to clip on if you have a challenging downhill. The cables are not pleasant for general kick and glide.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:23 pm

@fisheater, traditionnally the E109 is sized a length shorter than the E99 for a given skier. Then its up to personal taste I guess.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Tahoetrails22

Post by Tahoetrails22 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks for the information! Any notable difference between the Voile 3pin series vs the Rottafella Super Telemark? Any preferences within the community here? Thanks for letting me know that the Traverse would be overkill for the E109. And thanks TM for letting me know about the Rotta Super Telemark...I’ll look into that option.

I’m leaning towards the Antarctic based on availability in the US. Wish I could find the Skarvet/Greenland women’s version in the US to compare.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:02 pm

Tahoetrails22 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:52 pm

I’m leaning towards the Antarctic based on availability in the US. Wish I could find the Skarvet/Greenland women’s version in the US to compare.
I agree. Varuste.net in Finland has the Guard in Women's and people on this site that have used it have experienced pleasurable feelings with their dealings. (sounds like a ESL bot wrote that sentence)

Of course, returning if it doesn't fit starts to complicate life.

The Super Telemark is just as good. Clamps down a bit tighter up front if you are using a boot that may/may not have thinner duckbill like the Alaska 75mm.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:56 pm

Hello and WELCOME Tahoetrails22!!

The current Asnes "equivalent" to the E-109 Xtralite is the Ingstad BC/Tonje BC.
(I weigh ~80kg and have both the 205cm Ingstad BC and the 205cm E-109 Xtralite (in both waxable "Tour" and waxless "Crown").)
I say "equivalent" because their sidecut geometry is almost identical but their flex and shovel geometry is different.
- the Ingtad has a broader more traditional raised tip
- the Ingstad's shovel is stiffer and more stable
- the Ingstad has more tip rocker
- the E-109 is more cambered underfoot
- the final resistance underfoot is about the same between the two- the E-109 perhaps being a tad more resistant

Both skis have more camber and are more "directional" than modern "hybrid" "XCD" skis like the Madshus Epoch/Annum and the Fischer S-Bound 98/112.

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE the E-109 when the snow conditions are PERFECT for it- up to a foot of fresh snow on top of a solid base (I know- what ski is not fantastic in perfect snow conditions?!?! ;) )
HOWEVER- the E-109 is terribly unstable when climbing and XC skiing in very deep snow and is absoultely TERRIBLE breaking trail in breakable ice, crust and crud.

That being said- the Ingstad BC kinda sucks as a XC ski on consolidated snow with all of that rockered tip flapping in the breeze. The Ingstad BC is a VERY narrowly tuned BC-XC ski for hilly/steep terrain and deep snow. It is my FAVOURITE XC ski when the conditions are ripe for it!

AND- I still grab the E-109 when the conditions are right to enjoy a mind-melting lightening XCD tour on perfect snow here in the hills!!!!
KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR SKI STORY!!!
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:58 pm

OH!
And length?
I hate giving advice.
My advice- don't go short- this ski is a XC ski- and it skis short for its length with all of that tip rocker.
If you want short for downhill performance- get a more down-hill oriented ski with less camber.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Tahoetrails22

Post by Tahoetrails22 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:15 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I thought I'd give an update -- although it isn't on the E109.

I chickened out paying sticker price for a setup, and decided to give the Combat Asnes 200mm a try from military surplus, with cheap ebay NNN-BC old Crispi leathers. Just got out on them for the first time.

I think it's way too much ski for me -- I had to keep extending the grip wax pretty much tip-to-tail to get them to grip with gray wax, I think I probably don't have enough weight to get a good grip on them. I was curious to try waxing, fun experiment. Eventually got a few hour tour with my dog and feel like I'll get my money's worth compared to renting if just for the season.

I have a Traverse 78 in 169mm waiting for pickup for me at REI -- trying to decide if I should give those a try, or opt for something like an Sbound 98...can't figure out what the extra $$ for an Objective BC would get me? I'm mainly concerned with being able to safely make some tight turns downhill. I feel like an 8-year old again trying to snowplow those 200mm Asnes.

I read also that NNN-BC might be harder to turn than 3-pin? Did I shoot myself in the foot buying those NNN Crispi's? If I'm rethinking my setup, would the 3pins be easier for me to control, or you think I can learn to make due with this basic setup...not looking to drop a lot of money into this.