Ski base cleaner formula

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Ski base cleaner formula

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:12 am

Does anyone here knows the formula of a basic ski base cleaner?

Funny... If you search on the net, you'll find 2 types of answer:
—«don't do that, hot scrape instead» (based on a very very intelligent syllogism; base cleaner are harsh, will harm your skis...) That' complete bullshit. Bases are made of plastic (Ptex polyethylene) and are inert.
—use commercial base cleaner; «common, don't be cheap, just 20$ for 150ml... it will last forever.» Nope. It won't. If you ski à Noël pis au jour de l'an exclusivement, ciboire, oui, ça va durer. I do not like to be robbed in repackaging/marketing BS.

Ok, there another take that we see on the net: «use citrus base cleaner». That sounds like something I need to try...

But what is that freaking formula KUU, Winterstager, Swix use? Nobody cracked it down? We aren't talking about Iran nuclear facility...

I did the search a couple of times in the past... Noting.

Do you guys have a cue?
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Ski base cleaner formula

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:35 am

I've used a basic citrus cleaners in the past. Worked fine and no damage.
Thicker gel types are less messy.
I'd scrape as much wax off as you can first, just to make it easier for the cleaner to work.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:30 am

You can also use a heat gun/hair dryer to warm the bases, then wipe with a paper towel - a lot of wax will come off that way with less need to use chemicals. I normally only give mine a full deep clean at the end of the season before I put them away for the summer.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:36 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:35 am
I'd scrape as much wax off as you can first, just to make it easier for the cleaner to work.
I’m with MSU, I use a product called Goo Gone. which is readily available in my area. It’s safe enough to use on most new construction finishes, which need to look new, not stained or faded. It works on taking even red/silver off my ski bases. I also scrape/brush first.
I guess it’s only fair to add, that I don’t base clean often. I am happy to use a product already on my shelve, that is inexpensive. I certainly can’t notice any base damage from it’s use. I do manage to do a lot of other base damage though.
I don’t know if this helps. It works for me.

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:38 am

Leo Tasker wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:30 am
You can also use a heat gun/hair dryer to warm the bases, then wipe with a paper towel - a lot of wax will come off that way with less need to use chemicals. I normally only give mine a full deep clean at the end of the season before I put them away for the summer.
I know, but since you still use it, do you know the (a) formula? Is there chemist in the room?

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:41 am

fisheater wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:36 am
Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:35 am
I’m with MSU, I use a product called Goo Gone. which is readily available in my area. It’s safe enough to use on most new construction finishes, which need to look new, not stained or faded. It works on taking even red/silver off my ski bases. I also scrape/brush first.
I guess it’s only fair to add, that I don’t base clean often. I am happy to use a product already on my shelve, that is inexpensive. I certainly can’t notice any base damage from it’s use. I do manage to do a lot of other base damage though.
I don’t know if this helps. It works for me.
Thanks Fish... Do you use the concentrate version (in a bottle) or the all-purpose cleaner (spay)?

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:29 am

Sorry Rod, I don't know what the Swix, etc, stuff actually is. I've used that and the citrus stuff both. I like the more environmentally friendly part of the citrus, but it does leave a sort of filmy feel... which I don't like.
Either way, as Leo points out, I warm and scrape the bases, then warm and wipe them clean, as much as possible before resorting to the cleaner.
For klister, the trick is to set the skis outside to get as cold as the weather allows, much easier to scrape. Then, with what's still left, sprinkle some common talc powder on the skis, and scrape some more. Finally, the heat and wipe, followed by a solvent as needed.

One or two warm wax hot waxes, scrape and brush, and on to your wax du jour.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:31 pm

R I think the swix stuff is based on a mineral solvent like nafta gas. It’s harder to find I think cause the stuff releases a lot of harmful gas and requires special transport. Look up the Safety data sheets for those products for clues.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:37 pm

From some other obscure ski sitE:

« Another example of substitution is the use of wax remover. Some wax remover cleaning solvents are a witch's brew of aromatic hydrocarbons (toluene, xylene, benzene), petroleum distillates (Stoddard solvents and mineral spirits), and halogenated hydrocarbons (methylene chloride, methyl chloroform). Some of these are known occupational carcinogens. Newer solvents are citrus-based with minor petroleum distillate properties. The pleasing odor helps. While still somewhat volatile, they are less so than the cleaners of old. »
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:47 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:31 pm
R I think the swix stuff is based on a mineral solvent like nafta gas. It’s harder to find I think cause the stuff releases a lot of harmful gas and requires special transport. Look up the Safety data sheets for those products for clues.
But Ben, what does free trade have to do with solvent? Is NAFTA gas coming from flatulent negotiator?