The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: The new Rottefella XPLORE OFFTRACK Binding system

Post by bgregoire » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:26 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:36 pm
@telerat @bgregoire
I guess that I assumed the Varg Morgedal and the Asolo Morgedal were the same boot-
My Varg Morgedal boots have a very stiff stable sole- stiffer than my Asolo Extreme- certainly more than stable enough for my E109- they are more than enough for my Storetind as well- same boot as reviewed here: https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/te ... llskituren

I use NNNBC on my E109, if I want more downhill stability and "power" than that I am reaching for a downhill ski (e.g. Storetind) and a Telemark boot.
The Varg Morgedal was produced for the Norwegian market by Andrew after Asolo left the telemark market. I also assumed it was the same shoe.

I own a pair of Varg Morgedal and the soles are pretty darn soft. I am surprised yours are so stiff but and happy for you as that is what I was hoping to get. I'm assuming here there is some variability in specs of these boots. Perhaps they changed construction over the years, just as Alfa has done with their 75mm Greenland/Skarvet.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am

A huge box full of heavenly goods landed here in Canada yesterday...
Any specific questions before I write a little something? 8-)

IMG_0145.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:37 am

Johnny wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am

IMG_0145.jpg
:o :o Is there any snow left to test whatever may be in that box?? What boots are they?

I took my nansens + Alaska NNNBC for a spin at tremblant last saturday and it reignited my XCD love...(and provoked various questions from other people on the skin track :lol: )

While I enjoy the setup a lot, a similarly light system with a bit more downhill stability sounds super interesting! can't wait to hear about it!

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm

Johnny wrote:

IMG_0145.jpg
Yeah... What's in the box?
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Shenanagains

Post by Shenanagains » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:06 pm

There MUST be an appropriate Norwegian joke for this situation. No vey did Ole, Sven and Olga never get new ski boots!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Johnny wrote:

IMG_0145.jpg
My question would be does it offer NNN-BC kick and glide performance, while offering the greatest downhill performance this side of NTN?
I know if it does, your enthusiasm could start a serious GAS Pandemic. Which would be a good thing, as hopefully the vaccine distribution will make the old pandemic just a horror story in history!

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm

Johnny wrote:

IMG_0145.jpg
Maybe you have some surprises from Åsnes? Maybe some of their wider skis with scales? It’s not in their new catalog but maybe they were holding the announcement for a TelemarkTalk exclusivity?

Of course what I just wrote does not make sense... :roll: But still curious to know what it contains and I expect this reaction :shock:

GuillaumeM

Post by GuillaumeM » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 am

Sounds to me that this new binding is not fully developped and does not offer more than the other existing systems so far. For XCd one miss the possibility to use tracks. For xcD you do not get any more stability than a 75mm with cable. On both BC and 75 you can change the flex of the system by either putting a new gummy flex (SH40 or SH60 on NNNBC) or adding/removing cables (75), so nothing new with the xplore.

Gamme stated that the boot is more important than the binding for DH control and I still believe it is true, especially sole stiffness. What about an Alpina Alaska with a kind of articulated/removable collar for additional stiffness on steep DH? Rottefella could also have modernised the BC system by adding a kind of elastic band/cable attached to the heel? There are probably many solutions out there, we do not need to make a copy of an AT binding just because it is trendy, even if I understand the potential business back it.

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:02 am

GuillaumeM wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 am
Sounds to me that this new binding is not fully developped and does not offer more than the other existing systems so far.
This is my worry. I’d settle for “as good as 3-pin with cables” without having to mess with cables. The need to swap out the bumper (instead of a slide or something) for true free pivot feels like it negates the purpose of AT style pins.
Gamme stated that the boot is more important than the binding for DH control and I still believe it is true, especially sole stiffness. What about an Alpina Alaska with a kind of articulated/removable collar for additional stiffness on steep DH?
I really think it’s all about the sole, and there’s only one that all boots will use. I’m not sure how much a cuff would help after seeing all the tele tech folks skiing steep in old F1 boots permanently in walk mode. I do really wish they would have put a welt on the back so the boot could be used with TTS springs and semiauto crampons. Seems like a real missed opportunity.

So I guess I wonder just how steep this binding can be pushed. I had hoped that this would be the answer to the DIY solutions of hacking up old AT boots for big mountain traverses... but early returns say no. And Johnny is such a good skier I’m not sure he’s going to be a good critic... he’ll take em anywhere. ;)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:05 pm

GuillaumeM wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 am
Gamme stated that the boot is more important than the binding for DH control and I still believe it is true, especially sole stiffness. What about an Alpina Alaska with a kind of articulated/removable collar for additional stiffness on steep DH?
I think that is true but only to a certain extent (everything is relative!). On a NNN-BC system, you can only stiffen the boot up to the point where the limitations of the binding itself is reached. Long ago, Alpina (and other such as Alico) came up with uber stiff NNN-BC compatible boots. They did not last in the market and I believe its because they could not deliver what their 3-pin equivalents did with a cable binding.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM